Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Rise

Posts 3,781 to 3,800 of 4,706

JaxonH

Sunbreak armor sets looking super slick.

Seregios Armor
Untitled

Astalos Armor
Untitled

Malzeno Armor
Untitled

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@DreamlandGem
It really does. I'm crafting all these sets.

And it seems dango now have levels, so you can level up each food skill. And you can lock favorite talismans so you don't accidentally sell them.

And the Great Sword video showcase is looking super dope. I always try to main a new weapon for each game. I've done Long Sword, Hunting Horn, Insect Glaive, Charge Blade, Switch Axe and a bit of Gunlance and Dual Blades.

For Sunbreak, I think it's GreatSword time. And Hammer. Looking for a new experience, a new weapon naturally has to be part of that.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Joeynator3000

Meanwhile, I'm getting back into the Glaive...I don't know why I dropped this weapon after 4U. I mean, yeah...Gen/GenU had cat mode and the hunter basically was non-existent at that point. With World/IB I just didn't feel like using the Glaive and stuck with my good ol' Gunlance (despite that game having blocking issues, like...seriously, I have Guard-Up, why does blocking not work with some basic monster attacks, wtf?
>.<).

For Rise, I still stuck with the Gunlance but also liked the Charge Blade, but didn't stick with it for too long and went back to the Gunlance. I think one reason was that I randomly could no longer figure out how to do that discharge attack that sends out bolts or whatever after a Wirebug attack. Full phials, charged shield/sword...all of the sudden nothing comes out for me anymore, which is bizarre because I was pulling it off constantly before.

I used the Glaive in Rise like once, only to find out that they "changed the normal controls" and I never messed with it again. Ummm, yeah, the normal Glaive controls are still there, it was just the Switch Skill stuff. lol

Edited on by Joeynator3000

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Pizzamorg

If I am understanding it correctly, the new Greatsword Switch Skill auto parries for you. I am all in.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Snatcher

@Pizzamorg No joke? I will need to give that a shot.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Pizzamorg

Snatcher wrote:

@Pizzamorg No joke? I will need to give that a shot.

I dunno, the trailer didn't really make it all that clear. And the tweet is worded quite poorly.

It says, "If used while charging, you can quickly parry an attack and then unleash a fierce onslaught afterwards."

That suggests to me the parry has to be automatic, as how can you parry if you are charging?

Snatcher

@Pizzamorg It says can, not will, so I must assume you can do it automatically. It if you could that would be sick!

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Pizzamorg

Snatcher wrote:

@Pizzamorg It says can, not will, so I must assume you can do it automatically. It if you could that would be sick!

Yeah, the video just shows the user tanking a hit, if that is all it is, it kinda sucks, as there are already Greatsword Switch Skills in the game that do the same thing.

Then again, a lot of these "new" skills just seem to be more of the same. Both Hammer and Horn seem to basically be getting the same stuff, and all they do is further increase the chance to flinch. This is pretty boring and also problematic as I feel like the identities of the weapons are getting lost. If the HH is as effective as the Hammer at bonking, and also buffs and heals everyone, why would you use a Hammer?

IG gets to like throw the Kinsect like a grenade or something, which I guess is cool, but you can already fire the Kinsect to do damage.

Just stuff like that, pretty whelmed by a lot of this if I am being honest. On the Switch Axe one, I couldn't even tell what was different about that versus what is already in the game.

JaxonH

@Joeynator3000
Glaive is so good in Rise. It took a while for the community to realize its value. Like how Diving Wyvern damage increases the longer your air combo has been going.

Toward the end of my base game playthrough me and @TeeJay built glaive sets and wrecked shop together for a while.

We both mained glaive in MH4U also. I've also mained Switch Axe and Charge Blade in Rise, so for Sunbreak I want to go with something new. Something fresh.

Something like... GREAT SWORD and HAMMER

Joeynator3000

@JaxonH Yeah for the expansion I'm gonna try and give the Gunlance a break. That said, with the Charge Blade, how do you do that "ultimate discharge" attack again? Or what am I doing wrong that stops me from using it? I looked at the controls for it and everything and can't figure out why it randomly stopped working for me. >.<

Keep it PG-13-ish.

JaxonH

@Joeynator3000
Switch Skill swaps Savage Axe for Charged Elemental Discharge (where you hold and charge the sword for a double swing attack) but you should always have the SAED.

• Build up phials by attacking with sword.
  • Charge phials with ZR+A
  • Morph into Axe mode with ZR+X (or draw attack with ZR)
  • Attacks with A in Axe mode Discharge phials. The 3rd successive A attack will be the SAED, discharging all phials (unless you hold back and X while rearing up for the SAED, which cancels the full Discharge and only uses 1 phial)
  • You can shortcut directly into the Level 3 SAED from Sword mode by using X+A twice in a row during a combo. The first X+A does a shield bash, and if you press X+A immediately after, you Morph into Axe mode and instantly perform an SAED
  • Charge your shield by pressing ZR while performing an SAED. Instead of discharging you will do a spinning Slash that charges the phials into your shield
  • Charge your sword by holding X while charging your phials immediately after pressing ZR+A in sword mode. This only works if Condensed Element Slash Switch Skill is selected. Otherwise, it activates Savage Axe mode, where the axe will spin like a chainsaw if you hold the attack button

Edited on by JaxonH

DreamlandGem

@JaxonH That's such a good idea! I have always been die-hard IG since the weapon came out but I switched over to HH in Rise. Really enjoyed playing something new, might take the same approach as yourself & change it up with each new game/expansion I'd love to arrange some form of Nintendo Life community hunts when Sunbreak launches, thought it would be a good way for us all to play together!

Poyo!

Twitter:

JaxonH

@DreamlandGem
Oh for sure. We always hunt together when a new MH drops, going aaaaall the way back to MH3U and MH4U on 3DS. When base Rise released, it was a party in this thread.

You'll see all sorts of people crawl out from under the woodwork who normally don't post in this thread, but always show up for a new MH title. @TeeJay will be here, @FattyWhale_42 and @Ralizah and plenty more. We'll definitely get some hunts in, don't worry about that!

Joeynator3000

JaxonH wrote:

@Joeynator3000
Switch Skill swaps Savage Axe for Charged Elemental Discharge (where you hold and charge the sword for a double swing attack) but you should always have the SAED.

• Build up phials by attacking with sword.
  • Charge phials with ZR+A
  • Morph into Axe mode with ZR+X (or draw attack with ZR)
  • Attacks with A in Axe mode Discharge phials. The 3rd successive A attack will be the SAED, discharging all phials (unless you hold back and X while rearing up for the SAED, which cancels the full Discharge and only uses 1 phial)
  • You can shortcut directly into the Level 3 SAED from Sword mode by using X+A twice in a row during a combo. The first X+A does a shield bash, and if you press X+A immediately after, you Morph into Axe mode and instantly perform an SAED
  • Charge your shield by pressing ZR while performing an SAED. Instead of discharging you will do a spinning Slash that charges the phials into your shield
  • Charge your sword by holding X while charging your phials immediately after pressing ZR+A in sword mode. This only works if Condensed Spinning Slash Switch Skill is selected. Otherwise, it activates Savage Axe mode, where the axe will spin like a chainsaw if you hold the attack button

x_X
I thought the Condensed Spinning Slash was the chainsaw mode, that's my favorite part about that weapon in Rise. >.< lol

Keep it PG-13-ish.

JaxonH

@Joeynator3000
I meant Condensed Element Slash

Joeynator3000

@JaxonH Okay, never mind then. xD

Chainsaw mode is the only reason why I messed with the Charge Blade here. lol

Keep it PG-13-ish.

meleehunter

Pizzamorg wrote:

Snatcher wrote:

Yeah, the video just shows the user tanking a hit, if that is all it is, it kinda sucks, as there are already Greatsword Switch Skills in the game that do the same thing.

Then again, a lot of these "new" skills just seem to be more of the same. Both Hammer and Horn seem to basically be getting the same stuff, and all they do is further increase the chance to flinch. This is pretty boring and also problematic as I feel like the identities of the weapons are getting lost. If the HH is as effective as the Hammer at bonking, and also buffs and heals everyone, why would you use a Hammer?

IG gets to like throw the Kinsect like a grenade or something, which I guess is cool, but you can already fire the Kinsect to do damage.

Just stuff like that, pretty whelmed by a lot of this if I am being honest. On the Switch Axe one, I couldn't even tell what was different about that versus what is already in the game.

Switch Axe has never had anything even close to ressembling a block or counter up until this point (Frontier aside).

I don't see what the problem with Hammer here. It is a weapon meant solely to do huge amounts of impact damage, it doesn't want or need anything else. As for the Hunting Horn, they've tried to let it be it's "complex" self for 4 generations straight and it was the most consistently least used weapon in every game. The stars had to align to not only get someone who used it but also didn't just do stuff like the dreaded "corner horning" to pretend to be useful. Rise's HH complements hammer by being more of a consistent DPS output compared to the powerful burst of the latter. But that also means you have to be more aggressive with a HH to match the more opportunistic Hammer, and no amount of attack buffs the former can potentially give will change that.

I do understand your concerns, back in 4 Ultimate there was a sentiment that Charge Blade was making Hammer obsolete with how easily Impact UAEDs could get KOs while still doing cutting damage for those tails. But at that point the Hammer had barely gotten any updates at all, it was true case of power creep.

Which makes it all the funnier that people think the new Switch skills for Charge Blade are lame. To me it's just proof the weapon is just so loaded on a fundamental level there isn't much you can do to it without making it over the top again.

In the end, we're all we got.

My Nintendo: meleehunter

JaxonH

@meleehunter
I'm a charge blade and Switch axe main, and the new moves are going to fundamentally change the way I play (I'll main a new weapon but I always fall back on these two weapons as comfort food).

A Switch axe counter is an absolute game changer. That was a mic dropper there. Don't even care about the other one.

And charge blade getting a second counter that allows you to go right into Savage axe or sword mode, that's faster to execute and recover from, is going to be extremely useful mechanically. If this were base Rise it would have to be a choice vs another useful skill but, thanks to the new Switch Skill mechanic, we can have our cake and eat it too. CPP with Savage Axe in one mode, and the new counter with that new Elemental move that combos into elemental sword mode and lands a blow that jabs a charge onto the monster and which detonates with the Axe.

And, now we don't have to choose between things like Savage Axe and Condensed Elemental Discharge. Or Axe Hopper and CPP, or the move that wirepulls you across a distance to close a gap, and combos into a Level 2 axe swing or SAED.

As for hammer, I've never mained it, but I have mained Horn, and it has a completely different playstyle and identity. If you're just going for "max damage per second" then it doesn't matter- you're just gonna pick whatever weapon gets the fastest speed runs. But that's not me, nor is it most hunters. So having completely different playstyle approaches and move sets is enough to differentiate the two. Just because one weapon got one "somewhat similar but not exactly the same" move doesn't mean the two suddenly play alike. Hammer is about building charges, spinning attacks, that massive meteor slam from the air, and switching modes between yellow and blue. And now you also can switch between Switch Skill sets. That's 4 different combinations of attack modes and switch skills, which is going to make hammer an incredibly agile weapon in terms of playstyle.

I fully intend to main hammer this time behind Great Sword.

JaxonH

@DreamlandGem
Oh and btw, picking a new main for each release really helps make the experience feel even more fresh, and that's especially true for Ultimate versions that still have all the monsters and maps from the base game.

It's tradition. New Monster Hunter? Gotta learn a new weapon 😀 Eventually, you'll learn every weapon that way.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic