Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Rise

Posts 3,801 to 3,820 of 4,706

Pizzamorg

meleehunter wrote:

Pizzamorg wrote:

Snatcher wrote:

@Pizzamorg It says can, not will, so I must assume you can do it automatically. It if you could that would be sick!

Yeah, the video just shows the user tanking a hit, if that is all it is, it kinda sucks, as there are already Greatsword Switch Skills in the game that do the same thing.

Then again, a lot of these "new" skills just seem to be more of the same. Both Hammer and Horn seem to basically be getting the same stuff, and all they do is further increase the chance to flinch. This is pretty boring and also problematic as I feel like the identities of the weapons are getting lost. If the HH is as effective as the Hammer at bonking, and also buffs and heals everyone, why would you use a Hammer?

IG gets to like throw the Kinsect like a grenade or something, which I guess is cool, but you can already fire the Kinsect to do damage.

Just stuff like that, pretty whelmed by a lot of this if I am being honest. On the Switch Axe one, I couldn't even tell what was different about that versus what is already in the game.

Switch Axe has never had anything even close to ressembling a block or counter up until this point (Frontier aside).

I don't see what the problem with Hammer here. It is a weapon meant solely to do huge amounts of impact damage, it doesn't want or need anything else. As for the Hunting Horn, they've tried to let it be it's "complex" self for 4 generations straight and it was the most consistently least used weapon in every game. The stars had to align to not only get someone who used it but also didn't just do stuff like the dreaded "corner horning" to pretend to be useful. Rise's HH complements hammer by being more of a consistent DPS output compared to the powerful burst of the latter. But that also means you have to be more aggressive with a HH to match the more opportunistic Hammer, and no amount of attack buffs the former can potentially give will change that.

I do understand your concerns, back in 4 Ultimate there was a sentiment that Charge Blade was making Hammer obsolete with how easily Impact UAEDs could get KOs while still doing cutting damage for those tails. But at that point the Hammer had barely gotten any updates at all, it was true case of power creep.

Which makes it all the funnier that people think the new Switch skills for Charge Blade are lame. To me it's just proof the weapon is just so loaded on a fundamental level there isn't much you can do to it without making it over the top again.

Yeah, I mean I mained HH for a while in Rise. I tried it in World when people told me it was made easier to use and it was still horrible to play. Rise was the first time they made the HH actually fun to use, so I am definitely not against HH's evolution. I think almost every change Rise made to the weapons was for the better, I just feel like the Hammer also needs to evolve further, to once again carve a true niche for itself.

In regards to the Charge Blade, I have to be honest, seeing the skills side by side, I could barely tell a difference. But like I say, I have felt like that about most of these so far. Like I guess with the Switch Axe one, a lot of these new skills appear to be for the base fundamentals of the weapon, rather than giving you some new big flashy move. I guess this avoids flat power creep, as the power of these moves will correlate more with the person using them, but it just makes it hard to get super excited about this. And I know I'm not alone, as a quick scroll under most of these on Twitter you will find people going 'errr... what does that new skill even do?'.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

meleehunter

@Pizzamorg In all due respect, even the flashiest, most hyped up moves in marketing can be disappointing if the numbers turn out to be low, with or without walls of texts describing benefits in minute detail. With the absurd amount of variations in things like stats and hitzones it's almost impossible to provide a good frame of reference.

Also I'm pretty sure the main thing the marketing team wants you to be super excited for is the monsters. Everything else is gravy.

In the end, we're all we got.

My Nintendo: meleehunter

Pizzamorg

meleehunter wrote:

@Pizzamorg In all due respect, even the flashiest, most hyped up moves in marketing can be disappointing if the numbers turn out to be low, with or without walls of texts describing benefits in minute detail. With the absurd amount of variations in things like stats and hitzones it's almost impossible to provide a good frame of reference.

Also I'm pretty sure the main thing the marketing team wants you to be super excited for is the monsters. Everything else is gravy.

Sure, but I don't work by that logic, if I was gonna split hairs like that over everything, I wouldn't be able to get excited for anything.

But yeah, the main focus of MH will always be the monsters and what parts you can carve off of them to wear or kill their children with.

JaxonH

Magma Almudron armor looking hot.

All the armor so far has been on point.

Untitled

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
You have a ways to go if you haven't started the Hub.

If you start you should be ready in time for Sunbreak. Launch is always the best time to play games like this, when everyone is playing and hype is at full tilt. The game will be alive for years, but the forum dries up after 2 months.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

Whew! I just got smashed with a triple cart against Event Quest Crimson Glow Valstrax.

I figured I'd start learning Great Sword now, and made a set from my LS build since it had Quick Sheath and Focus already. But what I failed to consider was the insane damage these ultra-buffed event quests monsters do. I had made a Defense set specifically for them, but that was for Switch Axe.

I got cooked. Vastrax cooked me like eggs in a skillet. After my 2nd cart I changed to Switch Axe, and I did much better... until I inevitably carted again. Lasted longer, but... not long enough, apparently.

That Crimson Glow Valstrax event quest on the final page is a slaughterhouse. Hunters come in, they don't come back out. At least, not with their dignity and ego still in tact.

TeeJay

JaxonH wrote:

@DreamlandGem
Oh for sure. We always hunt together when a new MH drops, going aaaaall the way back to MH3U and MH4U on 3DS. When base Rise released, it was a party in this thread.

You'll see all sorts of people crawl out from under the woodwork who normally don't post in this thread, but always show up for a new MH title. @TeeJay will be here, @FattyWhale_42 and @Ralizah and plenty more. We'll definitely get some hunts in, don't worry about that!

Yes hello here I am, lmao

I'm incredibly excited for the switchaxe counter. Like, unbelievably, unreasonably excited about it.

I've started playing Rise again since the hype has been building and I've been in the mood for some good hunts again. I've been chewing my way through the six pages of events quests that have piled up since I last played regularly, just kinda drifting from Switchaxe to Gunlance to Insect Glaive. Took a few hunts but I'm back in form again.

Edited on by TeeJay

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

DreamlandGem

JaxonH wrote:

@DreamlandGem
Oh for sure. We always hunt together when a new MH drops, going aaaaall the way back to MH3U and MH4U on 3DS. When base Rise released, it was a party in this thread.

You'll see all sorts of people crawl out from under the woodwork who normally don't post in this thread, but always show up for a new MH title. @TeeJay will be here, @FattyWhale_42 and @Ralizah and plenty more. We'll definitely get some hunts in, don't worry about that!

@JaxonH Eeek how exciting, I can't wait! I really need to jump on Rise & get some practise in, going to be awful after not playing for so long hahaha

JaxonH wrote:

@DreamlandGem
Oh and btw, picking a new main for each release really helps make the experience feel even more fresh, and that's especially true for Ultimate versions that still have all the monsters and maps from the base game.

It's tradition. New Monster Hunter? Gotta learn a new weapon 😀 Eventually, you'll learn every weapon that way.

Sounds good to me, I will have to try something new in Sunbreak! Not sure what though, if anyone has any recommendations lmk. I've played some DB, lots of IG & HH

Edited on by DreamlandGem

Poyo!

Twitter:

JaxonH

@TeeJay
I may need your help with the Apex and buffed monster event quests. And I may need to stick with a weapon I know to get through them since they're so incredibly hard. Usually play around 6pm to 10pm on weekdays (I'm in Central Time Zone though, so 7pm - 11pm for you).

@DreamlandGem
Switch Axe and Charge Blade are so good. Technical weapons that are super engaging. I think Switch Axe in Rise is best it's ever been. And although some may disagree, Charge Blade as well.

Ulysses

Lance and LS videos are up on Capcom's Japanese YT! Longsword of course looks so fun to use, all the online hate be damned. Looks like Lance will enjoy a bunch of knightly armor sets thanks to Sunbreak's aesthetic!

Ulysses

TeeJay

@JaxonH Ooh. That'll be an issue since I work nights and typically start getting ready to leave at 7pm EST.

Edited on by TeeJay

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

MisterMan

I was hoping Lance got a bit more a rework but the downward thrust looks pretty fun.

MisterMan

meleehunter

@Ulysses I'm betting most of those haters can't even use the Long Sword at it's "broken" potential, but who are we to judge people who live vicariously through highlight clips that absolutely didn't have a lot of undocumented mistakes beforehand?

@MisterMan More people should try going for evasion (distance) skills if they think the guard playstyle is too clunky. A little known fact is that Anchor Rage (the wirebug art that gives a short buff after blocking) actually benefits from having less points in Guard because the buff scales with how much the attack would stagger you.

MisterMan

@meleehunter It's not the mobility of the Lance in Rise that's the issue for me, it's the fact the LS is a better defensive/counter weapon than the Lance. I loved the lance in MHW and enjoyed it 4U, but felt MHW was the best iteration we've seen of the Lance. The Lance should have the best counter in the game, not the LS. For a weapon that requires so many skills in Guard, Guard UP, Offensive Guard, the payoff should be much better. Instead you're left with a weapon with very tight counter windows when compared to other weapons. And if you want to do decent damage you just have to spam the spiral thrust, which is a playstyle I don't find enjoyable.

MisterMan

Pizzamorg

Interested in the two new utility arrows for the bow, however, I find the Bow and the guns probably the least interesting weapons to use in MH games, though. The all at once shotgun like blast of the gun lance seems cool, even if it is very similar to the elemental discharge on the Switch Axe but arguably with extra micromanagement, but I might give it a chance for the sake of a new toy.

JaxonH

@TeeJay
Hmm. Maybe I can make time from 4:30 - 6 (5:30 - 7 for you). I usually exercise for an hour but I can do it later in the evening

@Ulysses
People are so caught up in envying what others have they can't be happy with what they've got. All I see is, "but LS!!!" like, I don't really care one way or the other what LS has. Don't care if it's "better". I play whichever weapon looks fun. Besides which, new LS moves don't even look that crazy. A ring that can give a couple extra hits IF you counter and IF it's in the ring? Eh. Those new Lance moves look slick though.

@MisterMan
I don't actually think it's a better defensive weapon. Counters are much harder to pull off than simple guards with a shield, and much more situational, and come with higher risk. Not sure why Lance should have the best counter over any other weapon. Not that I'd be against it if it did, but nothing about it seems like it "deserves" it more than the weapon whose identity is entirely built around counters.

Idk. Admittedly the Lance didn't interest me much in base Rise. But I'll check it out again in Sunbreak.

MisterMan

@JaxonH It's a better defensive weapon because you can counter without eating your stamina or taking chip damage without investing any points into that area and in turn do massive damage to that monster. The counters on the lance are harder to pull off than counters on the LS. The window is much tighter for perfect block, and then the perfect block follow up attack leaves you vulnerable to a monster's follow up attack. The lance skills just don't feel as fleshed out as other weapons, which is a shame because the lance was so good in the previous game.

MisterMan

meleehunter

@JaxonH And it's not like you must have all those Guard skills at all times. It's only the really big endgame elder dragons that hit hard enough with enough unblockables that you would want to max them out to reliably tank them. Otherwise you get by with just three points in Guard to be consistent against most monsters, and most don't even have unblockables letting you forgo Guard Up altogether.

I don't think the Lance has ever been the go-to for fast clears in all of it's history. Instead it prides itself for being one of the safest. Nobody bats an eye at bowguns reigning supreme in terms of clear times for multiple generations, which I can only guess is people accepting it to be fair in return for their low defence. So how would they feel if something could match them while also having nigh-impregnable guards?

Ulysses

I'm of the opinion now that Gunlance should just lose its shield moving forward. So little of the Gunlance actually has to do with guarding; it could become more of a Gunhalberd with even more flashy combos, and could even become more of a Blademaster/Gunner hybrid, utilizing real ammo and more medium range attacks.

Ulysses

Joeynator3000

I prefer the shield, it's why I use the Gunlance so I can block while being able to have explosions...Also recently I just realized that in Rise it has a counter that restores some sharpness to your weapon, so...yeah.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic