Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Rise

Posts 3,401 to 3,420 of 4,706

JaxonH

@Snatcher
Very similar. Aside from Savage Axe and the sliding side slash its basically 1:1.

Just keep in mind, styles alter your playstyle. I'd avoid alchemy, and while Valor is brilliant, it was added in GU to spice up the gameplay for those who'd already played Generations, meaning, it's more advanced and risk reward based. Save for G rank or late game play. Aerial is fun and good for mounts but eh, not my pick. I'd go with either Guild (generic play style with no changes), Striker (attack based with 3 art slots) or, my personal pick, Adept style. Adept is boss. It lets you evade with a generous window, and triggers an auto run which can be followed up with an attack for big damage. Just be careful with double attacks- may find yourself running straight into the follow up. For those I run away and use it as a double evade (dodge, then use run to reposition out of danger quickly).

Adept will alter your move set slightly but not anywhere near as much as Valor will. It's worth it for the evasion. Which also frees your skills up to focus on other non-evasion skills.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@Snatcher
I copied this response from a reddit post explaining a bit about how to properly play Adept Charge Blade

2) For sword mode, after an adept guard you have two options. You can press X to charge your shield with the phials you have. This gives you red shield that boosts your axe moves in terms of damage and ko/element depending on which type of phial you are using. Charging your shield this way is quicker than going into axe mode, starting up AED (with X+A), and cancelling it with R. You can also press A after adept guard to immediately go into the double slash so you can get your phials quickly.

For axe mode, after an adept evade you have two options after you go into a run. Press X to get an overhead slam. Press A to go into the double horizontal swings that uses your phials.

You end up using both depending on the situation. At the beginning, you are looking to get your phials and charge your shield. Once you have your phials and red shield, you use axe mode for heavy damage. Red shield also increase your guarding capabilities in sword mode. Once you run out of phials, you get more. Basically with charge blade in general, you are constantly switching between sword and axe mode.

3) You play adept charge blade aggressively as this style allows you stay near the enemy. Charge blade generally requires timing and good positioning. Adept guards require you to be precise with timing. I should also mention that you try to adept guard after a successful adept guard if you need to block a multi hitting attack. With adept evades, you should be aware of your position like which direction you roll, which direction you run after the adept evade, etc.

You don't have to adept guard/evade to unlock bonuses (which in this case would be getting your phials and charging your shield). You use the adept guard/evade when they are most beneficial to you like when a monster roars or you really need to block/evade an attack. The adept guard/evade are additional ways you can block/avoid attacks and punish the monster afterwards. Normal ways are guard points which are points in a transformation animation where you can block and continue the transformation.

4) Charge blade in general requires you to get your phials and unleash powerful axe attacks when you have them. Adept Style gives you more ways to accomplish that quickly. It can be tough but it's pretty rewarding when you get it down. I recommend practicing against a monster you know how to hunt first

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Snatcher

@JaxonH Oh ok so you can charge the Axe in this game, Thanks! Oh ya the styles, I haven't started the game yet so I can still pick one, Adept it is, I can change it later right? And the style's, they change how the weapon works? Does this mean I will kinda have to re-learn the CB, or it just comes by playing around with it?

Edited on by Snatcher

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Snatcher

@PoliticallyIncorrect Lets just hope I don't screw myself over by forgetting to bring those, I Don't think they need to make it any more simple, MH right now is perfect for newcomers, and I don't want it to be so easy its boring, I think the way the games are now, are just fun, as games should be.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

JaxonH

@Snatcher
Ya like I said, weapons are 95% the same (barring Hunting Horn which was drastically altered in Rise).

And yes, you can change styles at will between Quests just like you would swap swap talisman or weapon. You can swap arts, none of it is a commitment. Can try all if you want, but I'd just go with Adept.

And it doesn't really "add" moves, it simply restricts some. More advantageous styles such as Valor are so powerful, the offset to balance it is some restricted moves you can no longer access. It's a trade off. Adept has minimal tradeoff but it does have some. Might have like, one move missing or something. Or maybe not. It may just be fewer art slots. Either way it's not a big impact on move set like some others are.

Snatcher

@JaxonH Oh ok, Thanks you have been really helpful.

JaxonH

Monster Hunter Rise amiibo back in stock at Gamestop

https://www.gamestop.com/consoles-hardware/nintendo-switch/ni...

Mii_duck

I'm starting to think I've had less complicated careers than this game!

Mii_duck

Pizzamorg

Mii_duck wrote:

I'm starting to think I've had less complicated careers than this game!

Being real with you, I have grown to love Monster Hunter, but I also don't blame anyone who bounces right off of the games. I played some of the games in the past, could never really get into them. World was the first one I was really into, I put hundreds upon hundreds of hours into that game across console, PC and then the Iceborne release. But for real, it took me maybe 60 hours of smashing my head against the wall before the game clicked for me. And like I hate hard games with no difficulty options, too.

I'll be honest, if I wasn't playing with a friend who loved the franchise so much, I wouldn't have every suffered for as long as I did through clunky ass combat, convoluted combos and infuriatingly overtuned battles. But I dunno, one day it just all clicked, I didn't feel this way any more and I didn't look back.

In the end I wouldn't necessarily say it was still all worth it, I got hundreds of hours of enjoyment in the end, but I had to put more investment into that to get there than I've really done with anything and that just suggests to me poor design than anything else.

I thought Rise was a much easier transition, but I guess that is just more because I already cut my teeth with World. I can see all the ways in which Rise makes things easier, streamlines the experience etc but World was apparently an extensive streamliner over previous titles too, so I am sure vets probably had an easier time with World than I did etc

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Life to the living, death to the dead.

JaxonH

@Mii_duck
Be glad you didn't get into the series when I did with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Rise is much easier to get into than World, which was way, way waaaay easier to get into than MHGU/MH4U, which was easier to get into than MH3U.

It's complex, yes. A lot to learn, for sure. But it is worth it. Once it clicks, it clicks. And when that happens, it immediately becomes a whole new game where suddenly you don't feel how you felt before. Whereas before you felt movement slow and sluggish, suddenly you're astounded at how fast and fluid it is. Whereas before you were confused, suddenly you know what you need to do and you're excited to do it. You can't even understand how you didn't see the game through this new lense from the start. It's like an "aha!" moment.

Investing in the series was the best decision I ever made as a gamer. The return on investment has been well over 2,000 hrs spanning half a dozen games across 5 platforms, each and every one of them being my "new favorite game of all time" after playing them. So each game offers hundreds of hours of THE highest quality fun I've ever experienced. Like playing the best game ever made, over and over again with each new entry.

I wouldn't be anywhere near as fanatical about this series if it wasn't that good. But it really is. It's so good. Games like this achieve that level of greatness specifically due to the complexity. The more you learn and invest the greater the reward as a result. And so, the complexity and high barrier of entry, despite being its greatest weakeness, ironically becomes Monster Hunter's greatest strength as well. What you get out is proportional to what you put in. It's a much higher initial investment but the payoff is unrivaled.

I do advise hunting with a friend if possible though, as you learn the ropes. When I bought MH3U curious about the series on Wii U, I gave up after an hour having seen nothing but endless dialog and text boxes and no action, barring gathering mushrooms and herbs on a few Quests.

It was only when my Xbox loving co-worker said he was buying a Wii U just to play MH that my interest became piqued. Why would someone who doesn't even like Nintendo much buy their most unpopular console ever unless the game was that good? So I hunted online with him, and the adrenaline rush was so intense I was hooked before the night was over.

Each night Hunting with him he'd have a new armor set, Super snazzy and stylish, and I'd be jealous- hey, where'd you get that? Oh ya know, after we played last night I hunted a Great Jaggi and made his armor. Well I want a set too! So we'd farm me a set.

Next night I'd join the lobby feeling all good about my Jaggi armor, and he'd have NEW armor, slick new Qurupeco armor. Wait, I want one too! So he'd help me farm a Qurupeco set. Next night he has Great Ludroth armor. And so on and so forth.

It became an addictive fashion competition trying to keep up with him. And I still remember the genuine fear I felt when I encountered my first unexpected "dragon" on a hunt (Rathian) We tried taking it on but failed. And I remember the terror of my first Deviljho encounter. All my fried said was, "Dude... RUN!!!"

It may be complex but you don't have to learn it overnight. Just play and have fun and learn as you go. Watch tutorials as you become curious and interested in things. You'll eventually get there. Part of the fun of MH is figuring it all out. Even now with all the wikis there's still rumor and Hunter myths unproven about "petting the poogie before a hunt increasing rare drop rates" and the like. The unknown is part of the allure.

Snatcher

@JaxonH I agree with you on that, You need to get used to the flavor of each dish, Then man, It hits so damn hard.

Snatcher

@Pizzamorg I also agree with this, MH is one of those games were its you like it, or you don't.

Jrpglover

Has anyone else completely lost interest in the PC version of rise since it was announced it won't be crossplay/ save I keep seeing all these posts about Raytracing & stuff coming to pc rise but I couldn't careless anymore as I can't crossplay/ save and I was going to be buying me and my fiancée a copy but we will stick to switch I suppose

Jrpglover

Lugazz

@JaxonH Hah, amazing tale! I started with MH3U. One night a friend just called me, saying:

"MH3U is on sale at the 3DS eShop. It's an amazing game. Buy it!!" and I did. Starting was pretty rough, but I managed to feel the game playing by myself. Then vacation time was over, and I would play local co-op with the same friend between University courses. Man, we always had a blast!!

Playing local multiplayer games with my friends on 3DS is actually one of my fondest memories of my University years.

Lugazz

Jrpglover

I'm loving all these stories of how you all got into the game it's a shame my origin story was me being sexually harassed by a monster hunter community member which is why I now refuse to play online with randoms

Jrpglover

Snatcher

@Jrpglover Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that, If you want to ever do hunts, You can ask us, I'm open most of the time.

World was ended the first MH game I played, But Its so funny, That was so long ago, and Now I noticed, I sucked back then, My armor, was crap, I never had beat a quest without Help, My Hunter was not the best looking, And don't get my started on my weapon of choice.

Then Rise happened, then I had to get back into it, I dropped the LS (Which I still know how to use) and the GS, and when't on to play the CB, then Ice born was on sale, And around that same time I made the vow to myself, I was to complete every quest in these game, First, then online with people, the proof that I was actually good at the games.

Just want to thank everyone here for making My MH Job Possible, For all the help and support that I got on here, And thats the story on how I became a hunter. (Also I dropped GS bc its waay to easy to kill Monster for me LOL)

Mii_duck

Now, that was funny.

On the way to the Monster I was hunting I ran past another type, and didn't realise it had followed me across a quarter of the map. So I get to the beastie I wanted, draw my weapons... and it's being attacked by the Monster that followed me. Made me chuckle.
Ended up Silkbinding and riding the Monster I was hunting (no idea how, I wasn't even attempting
to).

@JaxonH - I've been watching some of the tutorials, tried the Switch Axe, but am staying with Dual Blades for now. Using them more skillfully now though, rather than button mashing. Enjoying going all Demon mode on the monster's bottoms.

Edit: I know it's a huge part of the game, but the online hunts with others doesn't appeal to me. I game for escapism, not to have to deal with real people.

Needed a bit of Google to understand the weapon/armour upgrade/forging tree but getting there. Like all similar games it takes a while for familiarity with the mechanics to become instinctive.

Enjoying it (only about six hours in) but not grabbed yet. Different mindset I guess, to games I love like Kingdoms of Amalur, Dragon's Dogma, Skyrim, Witcher 3, DQ11 etc where fighting monsters or bosses is something you do along the storyline, whereas here the Monster is the aim.
Always enjoyed the progression in those games as you upgrade and become more powerful, so I'm expecting MHR to eventually grab me too.

Interesting though, that I enjoyed any amount of murder, mayhem and "f*cking sh*t up" in Saints Row, but feel slightly guilty about attacking monsters just minding their business.
I'm not even vegetarian or have ever hugged a tree.

Edited on by Mii_duck

Mii_duck

Pizzamorg

Jrpglover wrote:

Has anyone else completely lost interest in the PC version of rise since it was announced it won't be crossplay/ save I keep seeing all these posts about Raytracing & stuff coming to pc rise but I couldn't careless anymore as I can't crossplay/ save and I was going to be buying me and my fiancée a copy but we will stick to switch I suppose

Pretty much, yeah. I just don't think a game made for the Switch benefits from going to PC truly, unless they completely rebuilt the game. The low res visuals on the Switch are a little disappointing, especially since it is running in a lower resolution than most Switch games and is then upscaled digitally instead. But man, seeing the textures in a higher resolution, isn't exactly worth the full price tag. Had Rise had as poor performance as some other titles do, the 60 fps might have made Rise worth it on PC, but Rise seems very stable on Switch even if it might not even be 30 fps.

All of this makes the PC version pretty much redundant, as far as I am concerned. They might have got around this either by selling it at a reduced price (especially since the big expansion is coming pretty soon after it drops on PC, and I am sure some cheaper overall "Complete Edition" won't be too far behind) or if you could at least port across your character and pick up where you left off. But I ain't paying full price to start the game all over again.

Maybe I would have done it anyway if I had any friends who were interested in either playing this again on PC or picking it up for the first time, but my main mate I play games with took one look at those Rise PC controls and pretty much peaced out right there and then.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Snatcher

@Mii_duck Online isn't a big part of the game, A lot of people do it on there own, for the most part I just do it to make weapon grinding faster.

Ryu_Niiyama

Oh finally, decent hair. Well I may have to dig out my cartridge.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic