Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Rise

Posts 4,701 to 4,720 of 4,740

JaxonH

Thanks to help from Joey, was able to get the afflicted parts needed to final upgrade my Kamura Bow and HBG, and craft the Mighty Bow Jewel 4.

I modified my GS armor set to accommodate Ballistics 3, Weakness Exploit 3, Reload 2, Constitution 5, Stamina Surge 3, etc. But I wasted some 4 slots using 2 slot gems, because I can't yet craft 4 slot Constitution gems.

That comes from A3 afflicted monsters. I think I need to craft a Bow set ground up from scratch to get the most out of it. Building this set and learning Bow has reinvigorated my enthusiasm. I suddenly have all this stuff I want and monsters I need to fight.

Switching weapons and making a new build is a magnificent way to make the game feel new again.

PLAYING
NS: Fire Emblem Engage, Persona 4 Golden, Crisis Core FFVII, Monster Hunter Rise, Mario Rabbids SoH
3DS: Fire Emblem Fates - Revelations
SD: Sniper Elite 5, Jedi Fallen Order
XSX / PS5 / PC: [none]

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

Good hunts with Joey. Seems we both got double mantles back to back.

I completed my Bow Build, and it's fire

We took down a Gold Rathian and Lunagaron Advanced Quest in 15 minutes.

• Defense Boost 7
  • Earplugs 5
  • Constitution 5
  • Stamina Surge 3
  • Stun Resistance 3
  • Ballistics 3
  • Quick Sheath 3
  • Good Luck 3
  • Partbreaker 2
  • Mind's Eye 2
  • Reload Speed 2
  • Evade Extender 2
  • Bow Charge Plus
  • Divine Blessing 1
  • Free Meal 1
  • Flinch Free 1
  • Hunger Resistance 1
  • Foray 1

Pre-Meal Defense: 919
Pre-Meal Attack: 365
Pre-Meal Fire Resistance: 9
Pre-Meal Water Resistance: 7
Pre-Meal Thunder Resistance: 1
Pre-Meal Ice Resistance: 0
Pre-Meal Dragon Resistance: 3

Had a ton of single slots with nothing to use on them except defense, but good thing since you get hit hard when using a Bow. That Boltdash though with Evade Extender? Whew! I was dodging Espinas, Gold Rathian, Flaming Espinas, Lunagaron... it's so good.

I LOVE the bow!!!

PLAYING
NS: Fire Emblem Engage, Persona 4 Golden, Crisis Core FFVII, Monster Hunter Rise, Mario Rabbids SoH

Jesus is Lord.

Joeynator3000

Working on Insect Glaive armor and stuff now, so we'll see if those hunts go any faster after that. lol Seems like Kinsects are handled slightly different in this game when it comes to buying them...was hoping there were more customization and stuff, ah well.

Anyways, finally decided to take on Risen Teo and Kushala by myself instead of brining followers with me.

Risen Teo: Feels like he starts out pretty easy, everything goes downhill once he enters Risen mode. lol
Risen Kushala: A pain in the ass in general, no idea if it's harder than Chameleos....might have to fight him again. I didn't fail against any of them, but Kushala and Teo both made me faint once...my first fight with Chammy fainted me twice and almost took me out for the last time towards the end. >.<

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Dom_31

@JaxonH get rid of defense boost and slot in defiance (depending on how you went about adding Def)
Trust me, it's THE best comfy skill to have in the game. It's nuts that something as good is a lvl 1 deco. Also look into getting the skill for whatever shot type is used by your bow's highest charge tier, if you don't use that set as base for different builds for a couple bows/elements.

I think my set looks similar otherwise, without all the silly skills that try to kill you, too. Fun weapon if you're not trying to get by while actively fighting your own armor set lol

Dom_31

CJD87

Hey @JaxonH - nice build! And great to hear that you're ploughing through some of the game's later (and 'grind-ier'!) challenges.

I actually back 100% the comment that @Dom_31 has made...

Considering your already-epic level of Defense, I'd make a case that DEF-Boost lv7 is probably quite a diminishing return.... and you should definitely check out Defiance as an alternative.

Defiance is incredibly cheap, and 1-slot Deco for each level, with just attaining Lv3 (out of 5) being pretty decent:
Level 3: While active, nullifles weak and strong roars, wind pressure, and tremors, def +10

It basically helps you get through most/all monster roars, and grants def+10.

I'm not sure how you have defense slotted in, perhaps you're using a 3-slot space somewhere or even you've attained Def-Boost lv7 via crafting? If by some chance you have Def-Boost in 3 x 1-slots, I'd definitely recommend changing those 3 x 1-slots - - - > Lv3 defiance.

Also, and I'm conscious this might sh*t on your overall build(!), IMO the best defensive skill in the game is 'Intrepid Heart' which comes nicely on the Flaming Espinas Leg armor. This armor piece also has Attack-Boost lv1 and Burst lv2 as standard, which might work with your build.

But for sure check out defiance!

CJD87

JaxonH

@Dom_31
Funnily enough I was just looking at Defiance and just crafted 5 jewels.

Thing is, I already have Earplugs 5, and I also have a Defense 3 gem in taking it up to 7. So for this build it doesn't seem to fit well

However, I am absolutely going to fit it in on my HBG build since there's no way I can fit Earplugs.

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

Dom_31

@JaxonH if you want me to share it I can make some Screenshots of my build. I'm not sure how much defense I have, off the top of my head, but iirc it's a pretty comfy set that still packs a punch.

Dom_31

JaxonH

@Dom_31
I wanted to fit Pierce Up so bad as that's my Level 4, but it needs 3 separate 3 slots which means knocking Great Luck 3 down to 2, and removing the Defense 3 gem which reduces defense by 50+ and resistances. And even then I still would only have Pierce Up 2.

I suppose I could use a different talisman and give up Great Luck entirely, but that's been the cornerstone of my builds as it helps with extra mats.

How much of a difference does it make. Trim 1 minute off hunt times? Maybe 2?

@CJD87
Maybe I'll try an alternate build without the Earplugs 5, and use defiance instead so I can get Pierce Up 3 without giving up Great Luck

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@Dom_31
Thanks, I'd love to see it just out of curiosity, but I'm very particular about the skills I want in my sets. Most of the skills I have were strategically chosen as non-negotiable must haves. Like Earplugs, Great Luck, Partbreaker, etc.

Would have loved to squeeze Focus 3 in, as well as Wirebug Whisperer, but there's only so many you can have at once.

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

CJD87

@JaxonH Yeh it becomes a real juggling act in managing build skills, especially I find that the 3-slot and 4-slot options sometimes mean you can end up 'over-levelling' a skill moreso than you would want!

WW lv1 is a mandatory for a me, nice to see you favor it as well! With GS it is pretty essential, makes sure you hang onto that third wirebug for longer... so you always have the needed 2 x bugs for the classic Strongarm/Barrel/TCS wakeup lol!

CJD87

JaxonH

@CJD87
Oh ya, my GS set has all that. Earplugs 4, Focus 3, Wirebug Whisperer 3, Great Luck 3, Partbreaker 3, Evade Extender 2, Evasion 4, Quick Sheath 3, etc. It's a killer build.

I haven't fought that many Anomoly monsters, just enough to augment my GS build and 2 pieces of my bow build thus far. Need to do some serious Anomoly grinding as the augmenting is super addictive. Just one more roll!

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

StarPoint

I’ve got a quick question that I wasn’t able to find an answer to online:

Right now I’m using a longsword on the base Defender tree class. When I go to the blacksmith and choose the forge/upgrade weapon button, the next upgrade for the defender longsword isn’t selectable. It just shows “?????” Is this something that I am able to unlock eventually, or is there something else that I can do now to get this?

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Splatoon 3
Fire Emblem Engage
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
Monster Hunter: Rise (PC)
Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (3DS)

JaxonH

Made a new Bow set

• Constitution 5
  • Defiance 5
  • Attack Boost 4
  • Stamina Surge 3
  • Mind's Eye 3
  • Ballistics 3
  • Normal/Rapid Up 3
  • Pierce Up 3
  • Stun Resistance 3
  • Partbreaker 3
  • Reload Speed 2
  • Evade Extender 2
  • Bow Charge Plus
  • Divine Blessing 1
  • Foray 1
  • Tune-Up 1 (N/A)

Defense: 842
Attack: 389

Much higher attack with this set. Especially with both Pierce Up 3 and Rapid/Normal Up 3. Sacrificed permanent Earplugs, Great Luck and some defense, but in return got Defiance 5 which kinda compensates for Earplugs 5, and the triple whammy of Pierce Up 3, Rapid/Normal Up 3 and Attack Up 4 seems a fair trade for the Great Luck and defense, especially since Augmenting closed the defense gap a bit and Defiance adds +30 when active, and Divine Blessing 1 even if it's small, its still something. Also got my 3rd point in Mind's Eye and Partbreaker (even if the last Partbreaker was from a lucky augment roll).

Took down Level 30 Afflicted Izuchi in 10 min, and took down a Lunagaron + Garangolm in 15 minutes. I feel like that's pretty good for having a whopping 24 hours experience with the weapon. I never timed my hunts before as I never cared about hunt times, but at 20% damage increase for Pierce Up 3 and Rapid/Normal Up 3, I couldn't resist.

Fine Kamura Bow, with Bow Charge Plus skill, is

1 Level 3 Rapid
2 Level 4 Rapid
3 Level 5 Rapid
4 Level 5 Pierce

So I had to get both Pierce and Rapid Up to 3 points to fully maximize damage.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@StarPoint You will unlock once you get certain materials needed to craft the next upgrade. Until then it shows as a ???

Even now with 800 hrs in the game there are still weapon upgrades that show as ??? For me. Once I fight the monsters who's materials are used to craft it, the weapon will be revealed.

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

StarPoint

@JaxonH Alright, that's what I figured. Thanks!

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Splatoon 3
Fire Emblem Engage
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
Monster Hunter: Rise (PC)
Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (3DS)

CJD87

@JaxonH That build looks decent! Honestly I think the sacrifice of Earplugs/DefenseBoost is a very reasonable concession in order to run Defiance Lv5. I try to keep minimum of Defiance Lv3 in most builds, but of course there are just so many other QoL skills I'm desperate to fit in!

I think if you can get your pre-buff defense to around ~800 (+/- 10%) then this is the point where DefBoost probably becomes fairly irrelavent - and things like Divine Blessing are what will actually prevent carting (vs the diminished return of a few more defense points)

How are you finding Bow? I must confessed I've never mained anything other than GS, and cannot imagine playing ranged!

I'm currently loving Surge Slash, and branching out a bit to elemental weapons.... which is keeping the AR grind fresher, and giving me an additional focus whilst I push (v slowly!) towards AR200.

Are you running Cats/Dogs? I had 2 x Gun Dogs, but read that Silkbinder got nerfed in the recent patch... so now I'm running 2 x Element Dogs (both using dual chain) which is working awesome! Bit of a pain having to swap their weapons every hunt to match the monster, but the damage output seems to justify the effort.

This game is ridiculous value for money, so many hours poured in

CJD87

JaxonH

@CJD87
It's incredible.

I mained Switch Axe for base Rise and Great Sword for Sunbreak, but once I get my fill of a weapon I tend to move on and learn something else.

I gotta say, it's way more fun than I ever expected. Like... between HBG, LBG and Bow, I'd say Bow is the most fun. And here's how it's so different.

You'd think gunning doesn't give the same rush and a melee weapon, but it totally does. At least, Bow does, anyways. The weapon is all about Stamina management. The whole loop of the weapon is shoot, dash, shoot, dash, etc. So you constantly are draining stamina. Shots take stamina, dashing takes stamina, and you're chaining them back to back. That's why Constitution 5, Stamina Surge 3 is so important. And even then drinking a dash juice can help.

I love how your Switch skills can opt between two types of dashing- one dashes farther but costs more Stamina, the other is this Boltdash which is shorter but less Stamina. That's why Evade Extender 2 is needed. But it has a trick- if you dash to get out of the way of the monster, you'll auto-counter them with a melee arrow strike if they hit you when you're dashing. It's freaking awesome and super addictive. It happens way more frequently during fights than I expected.

There's also the charge levels which, you can hold a shot to charge similar to GS, but that's a waste. If you just fire repeatedly, each shot gains a charge level. On 4th shot you're on max. Dashing also increases shot level. So the key is dash dancing and maintaining Level 4 charge. That's the name of the game.

As fun as Great Sword is (and it is incredible in Sunbreak), I highly recommend learning a new weapon. Sunbreak weapons have never been better. Switch Axe and Bow in particular.

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

CJD87

@JaxonH Thanks man for the thorough response!

I play a lot of online-MP for anomaly hunts, and am astounded by the popularity of Bow... I'd say maybe >65% of online players seem to use this, with other favorites being Long Sword and Dual Blades (its a lonely world for GS-Mains.... I barely see any online!)

The stamina management sounds super interesting, and perhaps not a million miles away from an average FromSoftware title? Most of the Souls games (clones and otherwise) seem to hinge closely on your stamina and management of such, which I've always enjoyed.

The grind to AR200 is pretty brutal right now, think I am around AR136ish. Farming for Element GS items in between is helping maintain sanity, although funnily enough I'm having to go back to some Low/High rank hunts in base Rise to get the origin weapons so I can upgrade to the rarity 10s! At least my MR build can steam-roll those LR/HR hunts pretty quick.

It honestly blows my mind how much time you could plough into Sunbreak if you were inclined. Learning a new weapon, and the associated builds/mechanics/switch skills/playstyles etc, must surely constitute an entirely 'new game'?!

Shame that there isn't a category for "Best DLC/Expansion" at the upcoming Game Awards, I feel that Sunbreak would be a very deserving winner.

I've got FF7 Crisis Core coming next week, but still intend to have Sunbreak as my side-game

CJD87

JaxonH

@CJD87
Thats par for the course with The Game Awards. The deserving titles are never recognized. Just the mass marketed high budget stuff. Sunbreak deserves so much recognition it'll never receive.

I also have Crisis Core predownloaded on my Switch. Will take a detour for that, and Fire Emblem Engage.

Learning and building for different weapons does make the game feel new again, though. Suddenly the hunts play out entirely differently. If I can sink 800 hrs into Rise + Sunbreak using only Switch Axe and Great Sword before growing tired of them, I imagine I'll be able to get another 200 hours from Bow before mastering it and moving on.

As long as you have Constitution 5 and Stamina 3, and set your Switch Skill to use normal shots rather than the Absolute shots (they do Stun damage but use more stamina), you can pretty much dash dance for several minutes before stamina drains. Which is more than enough in real combat situations.

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

Magician

With MHR coming to PS4/PS5 I wonder if MHW 2 is just that much further away?

Switch Physical Collection - 1,082 games (as of January 30th, 2023)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic