Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Rise

Posts 3,381 to 3,400 of 4,706

Mii_duck

Thanks @Pizzamorg - think I'll go back to the hunts I've done already and experiment with the other weapons suggested, get used to the slower, more deliberate gameplay and see what suits me.

Mii_duck

Snatcher

@Pizzamorg Thats the problem, New players just think "Anime sword cool" and they made it into a joke weapon, Tho I'm always up to see an actual good long sword player. (Not telling them to not pick it up, Just saying I don't really like the fact that so many new players turned it into a joke weapon)

@Mii_duck After you take some time with those other Weapons, Go with the charge blade, HMM, It acts like a great sword, a Sword and shield, A little bit of Shock and aw thrown in, Oh, thats my favorite weapon, as far as Starter Weapons go I would pick a Sword and Shield or LS, I Can't really think about any real starters at the moment but it just comes down to what you like, and want to learn how to play.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

JaxonH

@Mii_duck
I can second the long sword. It's It's weapon I learned the series with back in MH3U (except it was a much different weapon back then, wasn't all about counters).

You can lock on btw. You press the right analog clicking it in to activate lock on and toggle between the 3 monsters on the map. Then, when fighting a monster, if you have the lock on symbol for their icon in top right corner of screen, you simply press L to swing the camera at them (may be ZL? Depends how you have your settings configured). But ya, avoid the auto lock on at all costs. It's horrible, it forces the camera to follow the monster at all times which will likely get you killed (sometimes you need to look away into your peripheral view). So stick with manual lock on (which should be default in settings).

Also some other things in settings you should change. Auto sheathing should be set to manual sheathing. Never used to be a thing before World, but it auto sheaths your weapon which... that's kinda something you want to control on your own.

Also Gyro settings should all be turned on except the one for camera control. Turn that off. Then it just activates when aiming your wirebug or throwing an item, stuff like that.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@Mii_duck
Also, don't worry about aerial attacks. Should never be going out of your way to do that. Certainly not hanging in the air just to find an opportunity.

Honestly, Switch Axe is a medium speed weapon, and you should use it until you acclimate and it eventually feels fast to you. It only "feels" slow because you're using dual Blades, and are new to the series. Watch Hey Jay! YouTube journey learning MH. At first he said it felt "slow and clunky" and chose Sword and Shield. Few weeks later he's using Switch Axe and saying how insanely fast it feels. It's all about acclimating. You should get used to a medium speed weapon so that you can more easily adjust to the slow weapons like Great Sword, Hammer and (well, I was going to say Hunting Horn but that thing is more a medium speed leaning fast speed now- in fact, try Hunting Horn! You'll LOVE that weapon- it had a massive glow up in Rise, from a slow, deliberate musical club to something that just rocks monsters).

As for Wirebug. Here's the run down

Weapon Sheathed
ZL + X: wiredash 45 degrees upward in direction character is facing
ZL + A: wiredash straight across in direction character is facing (rarely use)
ZL + ZR: wiredash in whichever direction reticule is aimed, which can be controlled with gyro

• When wiredashing in the air you can get a free mid-air hop/roll to extend your airtime and travel by hitting B. You can also hang in midair by hitting A.

Weapon Drawn
ZL + X: silkbind attack #1
ZL + A: silkbind attack #2
ZL + B: wirefall recovery when knocked down (LEARN THIS, UTMOST PRIORITY, IT NEEDS TO BE INSTANT MUSCLE MEMORY)

Switch Axe has a killer silkbind attack where you shoot out your wirebug and yank yourself forward doing a crazy combo and you have super armor the entire time. This means you can use it through monster roars, or even monster attacks (though you still take damage with super armor, it just doesn't knock you out of your animation). The Hunting Horn also has a silkbind attack like this. VERY helpful. Weapons like charge blade are top 3 for me so I agree with dude there. But it should be learned later. It's very complex. Switch Axe and Hunting Horn are relatively easy. And that would give you a sharp and blunt weapon to Switch between, one for cutting tails, one for breaking horns.

Crafting is essential. Just go to your item box, crafting menu, and play around. Eventually you'll learn what makes what.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Pizzamorg

JaxonH wrote:

Also Gyro settings should all be turned on except the one for camera control. Turn that off. Then it just activates when aiming your wirebug or throwing an item, stuff like that.

I had no idea I could set gyro aiming for these things. Thanks for the heads up, I am going to enable this for myself.

I also might try the Switch Axe following your post, sounds really fun. I tried it in World but found it too slow and convoluted to use.

Snatcher wrote:

@Pizzamorg Thats the problem, New players just think "Anime sword cool" and they made it into a joke weapon, Tho I'm always up to see an actual good long sword player. (Not telling them to not pick it up, Just saying I don't really like the fact that so many new players turned it into a joke weapon)

I don't really get what you are talking about here? I think the LS is one of the best examples of how weapons should be designed in MH. It has decent damage potential from pick up and play, a simple combo/moveset, but a high ceiling when it comes to mastery and high level play for those who put the work in.

Honestly, I think this is something Rise did really well with a lot of weapons. Streamlining them, adding in greater accessibility but including the ability to do really crazy things, if you put in the work for greater mastery.

There are a bunch of weapons in World and past games which had these impenetrable skill walls to overcome to even use the weapon at it's most basic levels - something which the PC solved somewhat by introducing in game macros, but this couldn't solve everything without full weapon overhauls, which Rise has done a few of.

Probably best of all is the Horn, this is one of the best weapons in Rise, beneficial to your team and can do huge damage even on pick up and play. The convoluted way this thing worked in World was rightly identified as garbage, so Rise removed it and made it actually fun to use. The only reason I wouldn't recommend this to beginners is if you haven't got positioning down, you can be a real nuisance with the Horn. Booping people out of the way, not stacking fatigue on the head etc. With the LS you can just go ham from anywhere.

I think all the gatekeeping that seems to exist in the MH fandom can get *****. I think Rise's greater accessibility and streamlining, makes it the best MH game by a country mile.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Life to the living, death to the dead.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
I thought gyro was enabled by default but I can't be sure. It's been so long since I first set it up. But ya, you can also have it turned on for Hunting installations which makes it waaaay easier to aim ballista at monsters in the heat of the moment.

One thing to watch for though is, if you play handheld mode, unlike most games which swap roll and yaw for turning left/right (on TV having yaw makes more sense, as it "points" the controller more left or more right, whereas in handheld mode, roll makes more sense as it "tilts" the window view to see more left or more right).

One more thing. Sometimes, for some odd reason, the gyro activates when riding palamute? Not sure why. But you get used to it.

JaxonH

@Mii_duck
Sorry if I'm bombarding you with info. Trying to keep it to the basics here.

I'm sharing the Gaijin Hunter Switch Axe tutorial. Watching it should give you a good idea of the weapon's playstyle.

I'm also linking the Hunting Horn tutorial. That covers the best (imo) sharp weapon and blunt weapon. Down the line when you've mastered these, maybe then look at Charge Blade, Glaive, Gunlance, etc.

Edited on by JaxonH

Mii_duck

@JaxonH - no need to apologise, advice is appreciated and one of the reasons I like these forums.
Not got time to reply fully now, but I will be watching the vids and taking everyone's (thanks all) thoughts on board.

Mii_duck

Snatcher

@Pizzamorg And I 100% agree with you, I don't want to gate keep, but I do want people to know how to play the weapon, most people who pick this weapon up, never go after the tails, making them a burden to there team, Thats all I'm saying, other then that I think the weapon is amazing and even I mained it at some point.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

VoidofLight

For me, I just stick to the Dual Blades. Easiest weapon to learn in my opinion, and it's fast as hell. If you learn the right combos, you can do some pretty good damage as well.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Pizzamorg

Snatcher wrote:

@Pizzamorg And I 100% agree with you, I don't want to gate keep, but I do want people to know how to play the weapon, most people who pick this weapon up, never go after the tails, making them a burden to there team, Thats all I'm saying, other then that I think the weapon is amazing and even I mained it at some point.

Positioning is a pretty universal bugbear throughout. People who swing weapons in crowds, smashing people aside, people pushing me away from the head when using a slicing weapon not a blunt weapon, all that kinda crap. It isn't unique to the LS, just new or bad players.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Snatcher

@Pizzamorg True, But I do feel that LS players do it the most well, bc there new LOL.

JaxonH

Gonna drop this definitive beginners guide here. It's long. But if someone really wants to crack this nut, this video should position them well to succeed.

There are shorter videos from others, so I'll link a few of those also.

Gaijin Hunter Beginners Guide

Arrekz Basics Guide

Arrekz Beginners Guide

Fightin Cowboy Beginner Guide

Snatcher

@JaxonH Is there one for getting into Monster hunter gen, after paying world/rise, bc my god Its a hard Transition.

JaxonH

@Snatcher
I’m sure there is.

But really, it’s just learning the differences at the end of the day. Most of the differences were just being one connected map and faster gathering. Combat might not feel quite as smooth but it’s largely the same, crafting is largely the same, the loop is the same, etc.

So I don’t really think it takes a video to get into it, I think it just takes playing it and adjusting to the differences. Once you acclimate to the movement and the hit boxes, it’s the same MH you know and love.

JaxonH

JaxonH

@Snatcher
Also, this is a must.

MHGU DB app

Key Quests aren't specified. You can check a wiki, or just use this app for easy reference to which Quests are key, and which Quests are requisite to unlock hidden key Quests.

Also does a WHOLE LOT more. But that's the primary benefit.

Click the link from your Android phone to go grab the app.

edit
Also, download all the DLC from main menu, then claim it from your housekeeper. Insane amount of item packs helps negate the early game gathering grind, as older MH games required an "early game gathering grind buildup" for materials to get you going. You'll still want to gather somewhat regularly but the DLC makes it much more tolerable.

Edited on by JaxonH

Snatcher

@PoliticallyIncorrect World is my first, why do you ask?

@JaxonH Thanks, Seems simple enough. I didn't know about the dlc tho, so thanks for that as well. Is the CB any different from World to this? I know savage Axe isn't a thing but anything else I should be aware of?

Edited on by Snatcher

PoliticallyIncorrect

@Snatcher Just asking because of your comment about going on to play Generations. Monster Hunter was much more involved/complicated before World. There will be more grinding. You'll need to mark your monsters with a paintball to know their location, and much more. There are so many things they should bring back to Monster Hunter imo. Especially the paintballs. It made it more like hunting.

Edited on by PoliticallyIncorrect

The Other White Meat

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic