Forums

Topic: Dragon Quest XI + I, II, III & Beyond

Posts 481 to 500 of 705

Quarth

@WiltonRoots Great! But first I have to grind a little. Trying to beat Mordegon at level 45 was a little too optimistic.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

Joe-b

@Quarth Hey, I'm at Mordegon's castle. I'm at around level 46-48. I just beat the "Gate Keeper" I think his name is "Invictus". I'll admit it...lost the first battle. I then "Zoomed" out of there to heal up and I'm going to go through my items and stock up. Just may need to find the best towns with the best shops first. I may find a good place to level up..that's actually not easy. I need a good place to gather XP...I'm a little leery going into the castle....although, that may be the place to level up...what do you think?

Joe-b

Joe-b

@toiletduck I would do the update. The reason I say that is because I called Nintendo to ask them if I played the Demo and then bought the physical copy, will the demo data roll into the physical copy or just roll a into digital copy? The customer service rep said, "It will roll into the physical copy. Put in the cartridge and do the update. Then you'll be all set." Something like that.....

Joe-b

Joe-b

@Quarth Yah, he's an odd one but humorous...his quest is a little weird. You'll be hoping it ends soon after playing it for 1/2 hour. I do like some of his abilities though. I'd love it if at the end he rescues some princess and rides of with her or something like that.

Joe-b

Quarth

@Joe-b There are some sweet exp to be gained inside Mordegon's castle, for example from Metal King Slimes that are rare to meet, but if you beat one you'll gain 70.000+ in exp/character (tips: have Erik and Jade in your team). I'm already at lvl 53-54, had lvl 45 when I started grinding inside the castle (and that was after beating Indignus and *).

*extra spoiler: Jasper

Joe-b

@Quarth awesome, thanks! This is one of the greatest games ever. Oh, do you know if I need to do the "tick tock 8 bit missions" before I fight Mordegon? I was kind of leaving those out for now...not sure if I would earn useful items.

Joe-b

Quarth

Aaaaand there are the end credits! Hmm... Wonder if bringing Veronica back is part of the post-game.

@Joe-b Please put the name in spoilers for other players sake. Don't think you need to do all of them before beating Mordegon, you can probably return there in the post-game.

Edited on by Quarth

Joe-b

@Quarth thanks. Not sure how to black out spoilers.

Joe-b

Quarth

@Joe-b [ spoiler]Text you want to hide.[ /spoiler]

Just remove the space I made.

Quarth

@King-X Yeah, I'm some two hours into it now, so guess my theory was right.

Joe-b

@Ralizah I can't agree with you more. Some literally look like they want to cause harm but for the most part, like the slimes, they want to be friends. I felt like their was going to be a twist where I'm the bad guy!

Joe-b

Joe-b

@King-X wow. Ok. So maybe I'll head there then come back to the castle. I don't think the quests are that long... (I did one)..

Joe-b

Joe-b

@Magician I'm blown away at how much is contained on that little cartridge! I'm at 90 hours! Erik is a cool character.

Joe-b

RR529

@Quarth, if you want to know of a time consuming, yet worthwhile grinding tip for post game:

• With Hero, Jade, Erik, and Sylvando in your party, find a group of relatively harmless enemies and just stall as long as you can (trip them up with jade, put them to sleep with magic, etc.) by keeping them from running away.
  • Now you wait for Hero, Jade, & Erik to pep up (by now Hero should have a skill that lets him pep up instantly, so you don't have to worry about timing on his part. As for the others, a character won't lose their pep if you take them out of the party, so if Erik peps up before Jade, take him out until Jade peps up, then bring Erik back in & use Hero's instant pep skill if he's not pepped up). You don't need Sylvando for this part, so if he peps up just put him up for later.
  • With Hero, Jade, and Erik, use pep skill Hallelujah (this doubles exp earned in battle, and guarantees every enemy drops an item).
  • Now you need Hero, Jade, and Sylvando pepped up. Since Hero can do it at will and Sylvando should already be pepped up (or really close to doing so), you only really need to wait on Jade again.
  • With Hero, Jade, and Sylvando, use pep skill Electro Light (this turns all monsters into either Killing Machine family monsters, or if you're lucky, Metal Slime family monsters. I believe they scale with your level, so at this point you should only get Liquid & King Metals).
  • On the ones that don't run away, have Erik use Critical Claim (it guarantees a critical hit, killing any metal slimes in one hit), and have Jade either use Lighting or Thunder Thrust (one has a 25% chance to crit, the other 50%).
  • If you kill even two of them, your entire party will gain 4-6 levels each at the end of battle (King Metal Slimes can also drop pep pips, items that let you instantly pep a party member, making future runs go by quicker).

EDIT: Also, at this point you can buy pep pops in Cobblestone, which pep up your entire party. They're really expensive, though.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Quarth

@RR529 Thanks for the info!

Quarth

OK, so I'm in the post-game and I'm kinda mixed about it.

Pros:
- I get to follow my beloved team on further adventures.
- The twists and turns of the plot gets even more interesting.
- Story elements that were introduced in the main part of the game gets explained and developed.

Cons:
- My characters powers were understandably removed, but when I regained them, why did I have to unlock the skills again?
- There's a lot of just running back and forth, at least it feels that way.
- The Trials aren't interesting (just re-used dungeons) and just feels like a long haul before the upcoming final battle (I'm about to enter the third one).

Edited on by Quarth

Quarth

Crap... It went from OK to extreme difficulty between the second and the third trial. The third trial boss is a pain in the a... and I guess I must be under-leveled (60-62). I just want to go fight the final boss, not get stuck here... Sigh!

Right now I feel more interested in starting up Ni No Kuni instead of continuing with this.

DQXI is still a 10/10 though. It just that this sudden jump in difficulty takes away some of the joy of playing it. Getting stuck is never fun.

Edited on by Quarth

WiltonRoots

@Quarth Yep the difficulty does ramp up, also you find you have to use Follow Orders a lot more. I went up against one enemy that just batters you senseless, so I've carried on tying up loose ends until I level up a bit more. There's been some great moments if you revisit a lot of the towns, one section had me laughing...

WiltonRoots

Quarth

@WiltonRoots Yeah, I guess I have to do that. The AI in the game is very good, but sometimes it's better I make the decisions.

But I'm pausing a little. Too much DQ the last couple of weeks. It's been an incredible time, but I'm feeling the weight of the backlog. Ni No Kuni, Witcher 3... Still have some missions left in Fire Emblem: Three Houses. And next week Luigi's Mansion 3 comes out, and a few weeks after that Pokémon Sword & Shield. And I want that Baldur's Gate bundle!

Oh, why must I prefer RPGs? So time consuming. 😅

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic