Forums

Topic: Dark Souls Remastered \[т]/

Posts 981 to 1,000 of 1,002

Losermagnet

@jump How far have you gotten? I didn't care much for it either at first. I can't pinpoint when I started caring but eventually I was invested. I had a similar experience with Hollow Knight actually. I think with these types of games, until I know the rules and feel like I can function properly in the game I don't have much fun. Once I felt like I accomplished something, and the lore starts to take shape, then it became a more rewarding experience.

However, I've been playing Dark Souls II and....yeah that one isn't doing it for me. I'm really conflicted because every now-and-then there's something I like, but it's quickly replaced by 2 things I'm completely put off by. The gameplay is there (mostly) but creature design, world design, and lore isn't. Meh. Definately skippable.

Edited on by Losermagnet

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Dezzy

jump wrote:

I’ve now on my third attempt to play this properly and to be honest I don’t see what the fuss is about. I’m just not having fun, it’s probably too “hardcore” for the likes of me.

Pretty much everyone says the same thing. The first time you play these games, they seem a bit weird, and you don't quite get it. Then if you persevere for long enough, you get to a certain point where something clicks in your mind, and it suddenly becomes addictive.

That was certainly true for me. Probably about 3 or 4 hours into the first game, my mind switched.

Slowdive wrote:

Dark Souls II is a title I haven't played yet, and while it received criticism, it doesn't decrease my interest in a potential Switch port.

I wouldn't hold your breath. It's so poorly regarded among the souls community that I doubt anyone's gonna be suggesting a port of it.

It's not a bad game, it's just quite noticeably worse than all the others.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Losermagnet

@Dezzy Thats very true. I finished Bloodborne recently and, even after finishing Dark Souls 1 and 2, I kind of hated Bloodborne for the first few hours (Father Gascoigne, omg Father Gascoigne). But eventually it clicks.

jump

I actually flogged it a few weeks ago. I’ve had it for years at this point but I can never find the enthusiasm to play past the first 3ish hours of the game. I’m sure I’m missing out but I’ve got other games I’d rather get on with rather than trying to like something over and over again only to fail.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Losermagnet

@Slowdive as someone who played remastered and 2 through for the first time recently, I thought 2 was a slog. It felt repetitive and uninspired. I got through all of it and my playtime was over 100 hours, which was twice as much as DS 1. And frankly, the lore in it kind of sucks. There's definitely good stuff in it, but I think it just depends on what your looking for.

Dezzy

@Slowdive

Of course you can find a small handful who love it. But if you poll the audience, it's nearly always either Dark Souls 1 or Bloodborne that come first. With Dark Souls 3, Demons Souls and Sekiro somewhere after them.

Losermagnet

@Slowdive i dont want to come off like it's all bad, but I don't know if it was worth going through the whole game only to experience a few parts that I liked. That may be different for someone else. I'll check the video when I get a chance though because, in spite of not caring for it that much, I still like analyzing its content.

Dezzy

Yeah there are definitely some great parts in Dark Souls 2, but the game as a whole has no sense of internal continuity at all.
It really feels like a level pack that was made up of all the levels they rejected from Dark Souls 1, which was then clumsily stitched together to try and resemble a new game world.

It's sad because there are some areas in that game which I thought looked incredibly cool (Heide's Tower of Flame for example), but they just don't really do anything with it. It ends up being very short, quite empty, and with no sense of importance to the larger story at all.

Losermagnet

Welp i was planning on trying to spark (hurhur) a conversation about Dark Souls III, but I realize now that 2 of the more frequent posters on this thread are gone (@Dezzy & @Slowdive). Bummer 😐

Losermagnet

Hey @BloodNinja, have you played Sekiro? If so, got any advice? I suck. The combat is really fast and i feel like im guarding wrong. And if you havent then please disregard. I thought we talked about Souls once, but that may be ice cream headache induced dementia.

MisterMan

@Losermagnet try spamming block to get the counter in Sekiro. just tap it quickly a bunch until it works then you'll get the timing down and get those counters.

MisterMan

Losermagnet

@MisterMan so tap-tap-tap on L1 until i get the flow? Y'know this made me realize i keep thinking stamina is a thing in Sekiro when its not. I've probably been playing it like I would Dark Souls 😅 i keep trying to waltz when all the bosses want to tango.

MisterMan

@Losermagnet yeah, just keep spamming it until you get the counter. It's kinda cheesy but it works and then you get the hang of the timing this way.

MisterMan

Losermagnet

@MisterMan appreciated 😁 honestly i can't decide yet if Sekiro is for me. I really dig the setting and stealth, but the combat is so focused and quick. I thought Bloodborne was a little too action-heavy for my tastes lol.

MisterMan

@Losermagnet Yeah, it's pretty exhausting and it really only gets more focused and quick the further you get.

MisterMan

JoyBoy

@Losermagnet I wouldn't recommend spamming myself, I'm pretty sure it's harder that way to actually parry consistently, you also don't get the feedback you need.
In the beginning, I was blocking a lot, observing, and trying to parry now and then. Blocking also removes your posture damage, so just pull back now and then to restore some of the build up.

Also don't just stand there, attack. Attacks, apart from building up their posture, force them to act more predictable. But yeah, observation is key, it took me a little while to "get it" but once you do it's one the most satisfying combat out there.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Losermagnet

@JoyBoy i think part of my difficulty is finding that rhythm, and just finding out what approach i want to take. Usually with Soulsborne i go into boss fights accepting that my first several attempts are better off learning attack patterns, when to dodge, when to punish, etc.. It's kind of zen-like once you get there. Sekiro is just so fast. Like, literally i was running in tandem circles with Gyoubu Oniwa trying to provoke his turn around animation so i could hook him. I'd hit him a few times then book it. Once we got into close quarters combat I felt like I didnt know how to respond. Can all standard attacks be deflected? I didn't even try with Gyoubu. (exhilarating boss fight though).

JoyBoy

@Losermagnet yes, all attacks can be deflected, except the ones that are preceded by an kanji symbol(dodge or jump!).

I actually never really learned to parry all of his attacks, because it was never really necessary. Staying close to him(blocking) and keeping pressure seems to be enough.
Have you found the fireworks prosthetic? That should make it a cake walk.

But yeah, that guy on the horse was an insanely overwhelming fight the first time around... now I almost have to get creative in order not to bore myself

The zen feeling is definitely in this game, maybe even more so, it's just a bigger learning curve in the beginning, I would highly recommend sticking with it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Edited on by JoyBoy

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Losermagnet

@MisterMan @JoyBoy will do, thanks friends 😁

Untitled

BloodNinja

@Losermagnet I tried Sekiro for several hours and hated it. I couldn’t figure it out, so I just went back to the Souls series. I put in a good 8-10 hours on it and the combat never clicked, so I moved on. Sorry for my lack of knowledge surrounding it.

BloodNinja

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic