Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 9,721 to 9,740 of 12,088

Pizzamorg

Snatcher wrote:

@Pizzamorg Have you played rocket league? Apex and fortnite might be one to try, I know I just said fortnite, but its just skins they ask you to buy, and nothing more.

NGL tho, my heart kinda sank when the WB platfrom fighter was shown to be FTP, but I played the closed beta, and all I can say its good, and doesn't seem like it will be scummy, thats all I can say without breaking my NDA.

Actually yeah Rocket League is a good example. I didn't vibe with that game but that wasn't because of the model. I have no interest in Fortnite so I will bow to your expertise on their monetisation.

I can comment on Apex and yeah I guess that is a good example, too. It is one hell of a grind to unlock a new hero if you aren't going to pay for them, but I guess technically other than having a much smaller hero pool, you don't necessarily lose anything by refusing to spend a penny.

At least when I was playing, going a couple of years back, there was no real pay to win element, with the locked characters being much stronger than the ones you start with (Bloodhound was invaluable and you started with them). I dunno if they've added in some broken characters since, but if they haven't, then yeah this is a good example.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Snatcher

@Pizzamorg Yeah, apex doesn't really feel like a pay to win thing, plus, you get a new character every 23 or 24 levels.

I don't blame you for feeling the way you do, saying as there are only a handful of FTP games that don't abuse there free to playness, and what sucks is that it what you said, there's a good game under it, but it gets ruined because of the microtransactions.

Off topic but I have been playing uncharted, and just got to four a month or three ago, but I thought the online died. I played the multiplayer for the first time, and yep, its good.

I only thought of that because we were on the topic of FPS games.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Dogorilla

VoidofLight wrote:

If they include easy modes, then you shouldn’t be able to change difficulty at any time. It’ll just tempt people to change difficulties.

I'm not sure why people are still having the same difficulty conversation we've had a million times but I just wanted to say I disagree with this. I couldn't finish Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii because there's a huge difficulty spike with one of the late-game bosses; I wasn't able to beat it even after grinding for hours so I just fell out with the game and abandoned it. On the Switch version, though, I just turned on the new easy mode for that boss and then went back to normal afterwards. I do think it overcompensated and made it a bit too easy, but that's vastly preferable to wasting hours on it and getting frustrated.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Sunsy

@Snatcher Yeah, I was surprised when Crash Team Racing had currency to buy. I got the game as a gift, but like, it's a bought game. In free-to-play, I have bought currency in Ninjala for the Tails outfit, and treated myself to a small amount of World of Tanks Blitz gold around Christmas time.

Indeed, if I remember correctly, I unlocked the Paladins Champions Pack when they use to give crystals as a weekly reward from logging in, just by saving them.

Yeah, I can see. So far the only mobile games I've bought are two Sonic games, and Crazy Taxi. Removed the ads and wanted offline play for when I'm out, those are ports.

Edited on by Sunsy

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Losermagnet

@Snatcher gah i was afraid of that lol (jk its great 😁) Such a good game. I love that feeling of finishing a game but still feeling like you've barely scratched the surface. Dark Souls is a bit like that.

Unpopular opinion? I think gamer profile nicknames are utterly ridiculous. I've had friends who know me in real life refer to me by my profile name when playing online, like we're some kind of superhero alliance and they're preserving my secret identity. Or when anybody has to source a quote and all they have is an online handle and so they have to say "iluvbutts89 had this to say....".

Edited on by Losermagnet

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Snatcher

@Losermagnet IKR, its a great feeling.

I find that odd unless everyone else can hear, and you don't want to share your real name, other then that idk why they would call you anything else LOL.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

Ralizah

I'm not inherently opposed to f2p models, as I think they can be done well (never played it, but TF2 seems to adopt the model in as fully ethical a manner as one could hope for). But I'm always suspicious of them, as I'll always wonder how content is being utilized against the player to pressure them into coughing up money. And even ones that do it well, that don't sleazily attempt to aggravate the player into spending money they don't want to spend, typically gate off features and make the fully free version of the game feel sparer than it would if it was a full-price release.

NOTHING turns me off a game faster than discovering it's "free." No game is free unless it's being given away free as a promotion or something (like EGS has been doing to try and steal market share from Steam). These companies are getting their money somewhere, and, 99% of the time, if they're not doing it upfront, they're scheming behind the scenes.

Also worth mentioning is that games that tend to be f2p are often either multiplayer-focused, or else designed in a way that doesn't appeal to me as a person who almost exclusively interested interested in single-player "story" modes. Genshin Impact is the only one, to date, that has managed to pierce my defenses. That game is particularly interesting, since, at least in the 25 hours or so I played, it feels like a fairly complete gameplay experience, but it's easy to see how the endgame grind is designed to milk the most dedicated players of their money.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

blindsquirrel

Botw2 no matter how good it is will be known as a disappointment by most.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

Fizza

@blindsquarel That's not an unpopular opinion, that's an unpopular fact.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

blindsquarel wrote:

Botw2 no matter how good it is will be known as a disappointment by most of the miserable people who have nothing better going on in their lives than complaining on the internet.

amended for accuracy

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ralizah

I agree in the sense that I think BotW2 won't be as highly regarded as its predecessor, despite probably being a roundly better game overall. A big reason BotW won so much much acclaim was because of how fresh it was as a 3D Zelda game, and also its approach to open world game design overall.

VoidofLight

@blindsquarel I mean, for one, we have absolutely no idea what BotW 2 is, even with the e3 trailer we got. However, I'm sure that those who have extremely high expectations, and high hopes will get disappointed by the game no matter what it does, since they're expecting a massive leap like how the first BotW was.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Snatcher

It might end up as one of those "Then why did you ask for it" moments, because of course it might not be the perfect little boy you thought it was 4 years ago.

Fizza

This is a bit of a half-hearted opinion but may as well say it anyways:
Shovelware is a necessary evil in video games since it makes the good stuff even better.

VoidofLight

@Fizza Shhh, don't mention the S word in these forums.. you'll summon him..

Edited on by VoidofLight

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Fizza

@VoidofLight
Untitled

Edited on by Fizza

kkslider5552000

Ralizah wrote:

I agree in the sense that I think BotW2 won't be as highly regarded as its predecessor, despite probably being a roundly better game overall.

Ah, the Twilight Princess problem.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Snatcher

@VoidofLight I think it might already be to late.

Ralizah

@kkslider5552000 Eh, I'm also in that camp of people that think it's the worst 3D Zelda game to date (with the possible exception of Skyward Sword, which I still haven't played). Not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, but I totally get why it's not quite as celebrated as other entries in the series these days. The fact that I played the first four hours or so in one session, sat it down, and didn't pick it back up for three years says everything, really.

Anti-Matter

Fizza wrote:

This is a bit of a half-hearted opinion but may as well say it anyways:
Shovelware is a necessary evil in video games since it makes the good stuff even better.

I played some Shovelware games such as Imagine series on NDS and 3DS, My Universe series on PS4, Animal Boxing on NDS, Cooking Mama games, Motionsports Adrenaline PS3, Hannah Montana games on PS3 + PSP + NDS, Power Punch Wii, Barbie games on PS2 & Wii, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival Wii U, Dual Pen Sports 3DS, etc. They are not really bad games after all as they are my alternative choices since I don't have interest with mainstream games such as Zelda games, Metroid games, Xenoblade games, Just Dance games, Smash Bros games, etc.

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic