Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 9,701 to 9,720 of 12,088

Xyphon22

I don't know how many millions of copies these big games sell, but I know it's a lot more than the number of people in these forums. Most gamers aren't hardcore, all-out for this like those posting here. They just want to enjoy a hobby when they have some free time and don't want to waste their time or money on a frustration that they can't beat. And that is why, for the developers, it is all about money and selling a game to the most people possible. I guarantee that if Dark Souls as a game/series were to be created today, it would have some kind of easy mode in it, and I think Elden Ring being technically a new IP is proof of that (although honestly I know nothing about Elden Ring or it's gameplay, I'm just taking @Pizzamorg's word for this one). But at this point in time the difficulty is what that series is known for even more than the gameplay, so if they were to implement one now they would lose more buyers through hatred for the move than they would gain from new consumers, so they don't do it. It's not at artistic integrity thing. It's a money thing. Always has been, always will be.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Losermagnet

@roy130390 of course! It burns me up to have people pick on something that they dont care to understand. I'm not supportive of the "git gud scrub" bs culture, but I think lambasting the game souly (hur hur) because it doesnt have an easy mode is just as myopic. If I could I would help each one of these people to play the games, which is how they're designed to work. I'm pretty sure you would too. Also - ELDEN RING HYPE

@Snatcher It was the ending where I beat the chained up guy. It's been awhile now so I don't remember the lore exactly but I think he's the actual Hollow Knight (or something...).

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Losermagnet

@Xyphon22 Elden Ring will not have an easy mode. It has been marketed as "fixing" the difficulty problem because it's an open world game, and as such the player isn't gated as much by a difficult area or boss. We'll see how that turns out in practice. I'm sure Pizzamorg will love it 😝

In general I dont think Souls games will ever have difficulty modes unless they are strictly single player. There's PvP and whatnot and another issue with difficulty options for the gameplay is that it might be exploitable and throw that off balance.

Edited on by Losermagnet

Losermagnet

And one last thought on the subject - I think games will (and should) eliminate the easy-medium-hard difficulty options and move to an adaptive difficulty model. It's already subtlety integrated into some games now. My biggest issue with having a difficulty choice right at the beginning is that, unless I've played the game before, I have no idea how difficult any of these modes actually are. No one would. It's actually one of the reasons I like Nintendo games - they usually lack conventional difficulty options. When I start a game I know I'm going to be playing it under the exact balance the game designers have tested.

blindsquirrel

@Link-Hero
I haven’t heard anything bad about arlo that goes deeper than having biased towards games like pikmin. If you don’t mind can you share them? If they are super bad I don’t want to keep supporting him.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

Anti-Matter

@Losermagnet
"I think games will (and should) eliminate the easy-medium-hard difficulty options and move to an adaptive difficulty mode"

Except for Rhythm games like DDR that every songs have their difficulty level on each level.

Anti-Matter

Pizzamorg

DarthNocturnal wrote:

I kinda like the "create your own difficulty mode" approach some games are taking. Axiom Verge 2 lets you adjust damage you receive, inflict, and how much health enemies have. I left everything at default, but if, say, you felt like enemies dealt just a bit too much damage, you could scale it back.

You could probably create your own "Dread Mode" with said settings as well.

Yeah both Control and State of Decay 2 allowed you so many options to really tweak the game to your tastes, ramping up the difficulty on the things you maybe felt confident in and then turning down the things less so or whatever you wanted to do with it. Really awesome stuff, if I could just say any wish, it would be that that type of difficulty would be added to every game instead but I figure that is less realistic than just adding an easy mode.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Losermagnet

@Anti-Matter thats true. I didnt consider those types of games, and they really benefit from having a variety of difficulty options. I guess there isn't one answer that can really apply to all types of video games.

I've never played DDR but I used to play Rock Band and Guitar Hero and I was always back and forth between medium and hard. I could usually do most guitar parts on hard, but something like the solo on 'Divinations' would come along and my fingers would have to move along the fret board like a dancing spider.

Edited on by Losermagnet

VoidofLight

If they include easy modes, then you shouldn’t be able to change difficulty at any time. It’ll just tempt people to change difficulties.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

blindsquirrel

@Link-Hero
Yeah I agree he can be a bit exaggerated. My main problem is when he talks about paper Mario and harps on every little thing but for pikmin he makes excuses for every flaw in the game.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

Snatcher

@Losermagnet Then you should 100% go back and play it, you missed so much you don't even know!

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

I’m very much alive!

Current obsession: Persona 3 reload.

Snatcher

I really do think @VoidofLight makes a point, I have felt this way before due to having that setting there in the first place.

But I mean, why can't I have a hard mode in all the games I play? most people will argue "Because its a game for kids" so that means it can't have a hard mode for some reason.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

I’m very much alive!

Pizzamorg

Snatcher wrote:

But I mean, why can't I have a hard mode in all the games I play? most people will argue "Because its a game for kids" so that means it can't have a hard mode for some reason.

I think this is very much two different arguments.

Making a game brutally hard creates a physical barrier from people being able to see it through to the end. If it's super easy, then everyone can see it out. Now will that mean you possibly won't enjoy the title? Maybe? But you aren't excluded from being able to play it.

So while I do agree that every game should have a harder mode too for those who want it, I do think it is a different argument for why I think every game should have an easy mode/some kind of difficulty tweak system.

Sunsy

Really unpopular opinion, I don't think free-to-play games are as bad as some make them out to be. Some of my favorite games include World of Tanks Blitz and Ninjala, both are free-to-play, and I like them as much as some of the retail games out there.

I understand some people may dislike them because of microtransactions, but they're optional and I never felt the need to buy anything unless I really wanted to (like an outfit in Ninjala for example).

Edited on by Sunsy

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Snatcher

@Sunsy For me, I think free to play games are a really good balance in the gaming world.

The problem, is that some of the games, fill it to the brim! with microtransactions, so its more about the microtransactions, then the game itself, or they might lock your favorite characters, they should at least make free, behind a paywall, (This is mostly seen in movie IP's turned into games)

But games like fortnite, Genshin impact, ninjala, apex legends, paladins, are all games that have heart, that feel like games, with optional things you can buy, and its the least you can do when the game is so great, and your getting it for free, so I love supporting a game I love, that is not only great, ands its free?

This is why I kinda dread it sometimes when they say a game that looks cool, that is FTP, because they could mess up a great game, with nothing but microtransactions.

Now games that I buy, and they ask me to pay stuff? We are going to have a problem. (JK sorta It doesn't annoy me to much)

I’m very much alive!

Sunsy

@Snatcher Indeed, also on Switch, you also get the perk of playing online without paying for NSO in most free-to-play games, and they have more features. I love how I can message my friend in World of Tanks Blitz, and all my progress is shared when playing on PC and Switch.

I mostly notice that more in mobile games. Looking at you Trolls Pop, locking Poppy behind an event where I might have to spend money. Despite that, I do miss that game though.

Yeah, games like World of Tanks Blitz, Paladins, Ninjala, and Apex Legends, I've bought a little something in all those games because I like them. Yet, I didn't feel forced to pay for something. Actually, I played World of Tanks Blitz, Paladins, and Apex for over a year before I bought anything from their respective stores. Nothing stopped me from playing and enjoying those games.

That's understandable, I wouldn't want microtransactions in a game I already paid for. DLC that adds new content, that I don't mind since it's stuff that's not included with the original game. Like the Mario Kart 8 DLC, all those tracks are not in the base game at all.

Edited on by Sunsy

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Snatcher

@Sunsy Yeah, DLC is fine, but stuff like coins? so I can buy from an in game shot, is dumb.

It was about a year before I got anything in Apex, and I was able to play the game just fine, Sure you have to earn coins and stuff, and could pay to get them faster, but if your playing the game as much as you are, your not going to notice it at all. I mean I got all the characters on apex without spending a dime.

Thats kinda why mobile games get a bad rep, because they do stuff like that all the time, and it gets on people nerves, but the mobile games that actually want to be like games, are the ones that do better.

I’m very much alive!

Pizzamorg

Yeah, I think free to play isn't inherently a horrible idea, I just haven't yet seen a game use a free to play model that didn't totally spoil the experience. Throttling power, progression, playtime, all sorts of things to incentivise purchasing, turning even the most core elements of gaming into a slot machine. In the end to play a free to play game as you would any other game, it costs you far more than if you were to just buy a full priced title. It is always either broken, driven by greed or both. It has gotten to the point where my heart sinks every time a game I am excited for turns out to be free to play, as I just know the experience is going to be so much worse for it. One day a game will come along and change my mind I am sure, but it hasn't happened yet.

Snatcher

@Pizzamorg Have you played rocket league? Apex and fortnite might be one to try, I know I just said fortnite, but its just skins they ask you to buy, and nothing more.

NGL tho, my heart kinda sank when the WB platfrom fighter was shown to be FTP, but I played the closed beta, and all I can say its good, and doesn't seem like it will be scummy, thats all I can say without breaking my NDA.

Edited on by Snatcher

I’m very much alive!

Anti-Matter

K-1 or Kickboxing games should got more appreciation on modern consoles as I found the last Kickboxing games on console was on PS2 year 2006.
K-1 itself still exist until today, I don't understand why still no Japanese developers want to revive K-1 games on modern consoles as the games have annual series during year 1996 - 2006.
K-1 on GBA was one of my favorite as it has Chibi model of K-1 fighters and all the fighters have Super Moves like Street Fighter Alpha series.
I don't know how to say if I really lived in this universe where Boxing or Kickboxing sports always get one sided love or being treated as unpopular sports for eternity, I felt I lived in wrong universe where soccer is the popular sport in the universe I lived. I'm sick with this universe sometimes.
I want to see another universe where soccer is not even exist but Boxing or Kickboxing sports are the most popular sports.

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic