Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 9,741 to 9,760 of 12,088

Ralizah

Wow, the Anti-Matter summoning spell really works!

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Fizza

@Anti-Matter And that's completely fine.

I love seeing people find joy in things I usually write off without giving them a chance and honestly, it makes talking about games far more interesting when, like you said, it's not just mainstream games hogging all the limelight. Besides, I have a few games that I would consider 'shovelware' that I've greatly enjoyed in the past (some 3DS Lego games, a Thomas the Tank Engine game on DS that I really enjoyed, and a Phineas and Ferb DS game that is unironically one of my favourite platformers ever, just to name a few).

Edited on by Fizza

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Mega Man 11 (Switch)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Snatcher

@Ralizah Why of course it worked. Its a totally legit spell that you can use to summon him, Hint, one of the key words is I don't like shovelware

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

I’m very much alive!

Current obsession: Persona 3 reload.

blindsquirrel

@VoidofLight
That’s exactly what I’m saying. People have such high hopes for this game they will see it as a disappointment no matter how good it is.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

blindsquirrel

@Snatcher
That and boxing/ kickboxing.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

Drmarioland

I like Donkey Kong Country Returns over Diddy's Kong Quest.

Drmarioland

Ralizah

@Drmarioland Same. I like both of the Retro-developed DKC over any of Rare's SNES trilogy, actually.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

roy130390

I can't speak for Tropical Freeze as I haven't played it, but Country Returns was fantastic and I definitely prefer it over the original trilogy. I did hear that TF is better in every way than CR from a lot of people.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

Pizzamorg

Yeah, I am really interested in how BOTW2 lands. The first BOTW, while a great game, still might be one of the most overhyped games ever made. I'm sorry but anyone throwing around things like 'it is the evolution of the open world!' or whatever like... stop huffing that glue, brother! Now all these years later, with the Switch basically struggling to run everything, in a year of open world games like Elden Ring and the new Horizon sequel, like I just can't imagine BOTW2 landing well unless it does something truly unique and innovative. I mean I am sure it'll score some bonus points because of the Zelda and Nintendo brands, but if people try to push this again as 'THE NEXT STEP IN OPEN WORLD GAMING, A TRUE EVOLUTION OF VIDEOGAMES', I just don't think that ***** flies this time.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

VoidofLight

I think for the time it was a fairly good game, and did things not many other games attempted doing. You could say "Well, Horizon exists", and it does, but they're two different beasts... and even now, looking at reviews for the new Horizon game, I still think they're two separate beasts. The first Horizon game didn't really have a world that was completely and totally open like the first BotW, and the physics in Horizon truly paled in comparison to how they function in BotW itself. Like for example, take a fire arrow within both BotW 1 and Horizon Zero Dawn. In BotW, if it starts to rain, or if the fire arrow touches water, it extinguishes, but in Horizon, the arrows are still lit when hitting water.

BotW itself also had the ability to climb any mountain or cliff, where as Horizon forced you to climb specific ones that the game allowed for you to do, and it's sequel, while having more of these climbing areas, still limits you on where you can climb within the game's world.

I know that Forbidden West has some new mechanics as well, like the ability to swim underwater, but from what I've heard those are very specific instances, and there's no water combat at all. The reviews mostly just make it out as a hidden loading screen type thing, as well as a way to get away from robots.

That being said however, I don't think BotW itself is completely perfect either. The game itself still has it's own issues, like the lack of enemy variety, all of the dungeons being almost exactly the same, and the fact that shrines become repetitive after a while. I sort of see the complaints about the world being empty, but that's a thing with most open-world games, even the ones that people praise to the heavens.

As for BotW 2, I'm sure that it'll be good as long as Nintendo adjusts things that were complained about within the original, as well as focus on making the world itself a bit more interesting. Anyone who's expecting it to be innovative is truly delusional, given that it won't happen. It's reusing the same world, and probably most of the same mechanics of the first game, along with a couple of new ones. I will say though, the new mechanics are interesting going off the patents. The way that Link can go through ceilings to get to buildings that are locked, or get into places you can't ordinarily reach seems pretty interesting. The skydiving mechanics also seem pretty good as well.

(Also, this is coming from someone who's played both Horizon and BotW, but I have to say, Horizon doesn't really stick with me. It probably would have if I attempted to play it before I touched BotW, but now it just doesn't cling. Got to the one town where Alloy has to prove herself, and I just sorta dropped it. The stealth gameplay isn't my thing really, and while I liked the concept of a world that this game paints, it just feels meh to me.)

Edited on by VoidofLight

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

jump

This is all very confusing, I regularly read in this thread BOTW was the worst Zelda game ever made but now as it's the greatest Zelda game ever made the sequel won’t live up to the hype.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Pizzamorg

jump wrote:

This is all very confusing, I regularly read in this thread BOTW was the worst Zelda game ever made but now as it's the greatest Zelda game ever made the sequel won’t live up to the hype.

Well this is the unpopular opinion thread, it is the only safe space for someone to share that BOTW isn't as good as everyone says it is.

jump

@Pizzamorg Nah, at one point there was almost a daily new BOTW sucks thread in the forum. My favourites ones were the people who have never actually played the game try to argue it was the worse game ever but came undone very quickly.

In any case read that again but imagine a sarcastic winky emoji at the end and it's making a point on how people like to bitch, rant and complain no matter what.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Anti-Matter

I voted Yonder the Cloud Catcher Chronicles over than Zelda BOTW.
Even I finished the storyline of Yonder the Cloud Catcher Chronicles two times on Switch and PS4.

Anti-Matter

Eel

@jump well since a new game will come out, hopefully this year, Breath of the Wild will finally graduate from being the cool new game in the series to dislike.

Perhaps since it’s taking so long, people want to start the cycle earlier.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

jump

@Eel But there's a perfectly good Tri Force Heroes people can hate on!

Nicolai wrote:

Pizzamorg

jump wrote:

@Pizzamorg Nah, at one point there was almost a daily new BOTW sucks thread in the forum. My favourites ones were the people who have never actually played the game try to argue it was the worse game ever but came undone very quickly.

In any case read that again but imagine a sarcastic winky emoji at the end and it's making a point on how people like to bitch, rant and complain no matter what.

I just think BOTW is a victim of it's own hype machine. It is a great game, but so ludicrously overhyped, it sets up almost everyone for disappointment.

I think so much of the bitterness comes from all of the over promises from games media, which makes you think you're getting a worse experience than what you're getting, when really games media should have celebrated what the game does well and set expectations around the things that weren't so good, so people knew what they were getting and could just celebrate that fact.

Like I say, all the stuff about like "the evolution of the open world game" or whatever is frankly nonsense, especially if you have played open world games on other platforms, and just sets someone up for completely the wrong expectations for what they expect from the game. And I just think this year, of all years, if this narrative is attempted to be pushed again, I just do not see it landing as well as it did last time.

Fizza

jump wrote:

@Eel But there's a perfectly good Tri Force Heroes people can hate on!

Triforce Heroes was actually my first ever Zelda game and I hated it so much I never touched the other entries until reluctantly trying out Link to the Past on the SNES app in 2020, 5 years after originally getting TFH. I ended up loving it and now also have the Switch remake of Links Awakening, another of my favourite games on Switch. I'm planning on getting Skyward Sword HD at some point and maybe BOTW (though that one's still up in the air) as well. TFH really did me dirty on the series for the longest time.

Edited on by Fizza

VoidofLight

I don’t see why that many people would get put off of a series because of a multiplayer spin-off which has no bearing on the other games.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Fizza

@VoidofLight I was so young when I got it that that was what I assumed the rest of the series was like: annoyingly precise puzzles with little wiggle room that was awkward to control.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic