Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 11,121 to 11,140 of 11,698

Dogorilla

@Anti-Matter If it helps, BotW is very different to the rest of the Zelda series. The other games don't have breakable weapons and are much more linear so you're unlikely to get lost. You might like Wind Waker or Minish Cap if you gave them a chance.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong
blindsquarel

@Anti-Matter
Breath of the wild, while I love the game, is nothing like the rest of the Zelda series. Have you tried Links Awakening or The Wind Waker at all?

Currently Playing: Spider-Man 2018
Spectacular Spider-Man is far superior to any other version of Spider-Man.
Also, it is annoying when people tell me to smile more, I guess my resting face looks like I am mad.

blindsquarel

@mikegamer
I think weapon durability is fine. I think it helps with progression a lot. Early game you need to find different ways to fight each battle. And you are rewarded when you eventually get the master sword and have a full inventory of Savage Lynel swords.

Currently Playing: Spider-Man 2018
Spectacular Spider-Man is far superior to any other version of Spider-Man.
Also, it is annoying when people tell me to smile more, I guess my resting face looks like I am mad.

VoidofLight

An actual Unpopular opinion: I think the weapon system in BotW is good, and people are just complaining because it isn't a Zelda game with permanent-use weapons.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Ralizah

@VoidofLight Well, the way weapons are handled is pretty unusual for the type of game it is. I also think it's handled well, though. I especially missed BotW's system after drowning in largely pointless weapons in Elden Ring and The Witcher 3 that were never used.

Edited on by Ralizah

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

iLikeUrAttitude

@VoidofLight Yeah I agree, weapons were basically thrown at you so I didn't really care about the durability from what I played.

Good... good
Now play Dragon Quest

Rambler

The weapons system and durability were fine. I'm honestly not sure what the fuss is about.

Rambler

DarthNocturnal

From a gameplay perspective it worked fine. I never worried about running out of weapons. I think I just missed when a new sword / sword upgrade was more of a milestone. Everything feeling disposable just felt off for a Zelda game.

Even the Master Sword was affected. Powered by lithium-ion. Guess the sages are on break?

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0
Now Playing: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox), DOOM II (Xbox), Dragon Quest VII (3DS), Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch)

Magician

I've always viewed item durability as a means to pad a game's length towards completion. Leave an avenue to replace the old with something more useful, sure. But rewards and gains should never be taken from a player. Unless we're talking about roguelikes, where a failed run requires players to start the whole game from zero.

Even where item degradation is part and parcel to a game's looping design. Minecraft, Dying Light, Fallout, Animal Crossing, etc. The upkeep is an annoyance. It detracts from the overall experience. It's needless busywork. If I want to swing a twig from the beginning of a game to the end of said game...allow me to do that.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,048 games (as of November 27th, 2022)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

VoidofLight

It kind of hurts that NieR Automata kind of dominates the conversation about NieR in general. Replicant just feels sort of like the "forgotten" game in a sense, where most people don't really seem to talk about it that often. I remember someone tried to gaslight me into thinking that people who prefer NieR Replicant to Automata were just nostalgia blind, and that I only liked the game because of "first game bias", given I played the game right before I played Automata. However, even after playing Automata, I still prefer the original NieR for it's characters and world.

Matt_Barber

@VoidofLight Yeah, they're fundamentally different games, with distinct settings and stories, and there's got to be room for personal preference.

Automata obviously got the better reviews and sales though, so I don't think you can be too surprised that it tends to dominate the discussion.

I like the fact that Replicant only needed a lick of paint to bump up its review scores by a tier though. That rather suggests that the original game was very much underestimated in the first place.

Ah well, I'm sure we can all agree that the mobile game is garbage.

Matt_Barber

VoidofLight

@Matt_Barber The mobile game being canon makes me sad, since it might be 10 years before we get a proper NieR game.

KAIRU

In my opinion, not all games need difficulty options.

Can usually be found doing something. Often seen wearing clothes. Blocking is for the weak.

Always wondered why a frisbee kept getting bigger the closer it gets. Then it hit me.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5654-2661-1612 | Twitter:

Ryu_Niiyama

Kairu wrote:

In my opinion, not all games need difficulty options.

Agreed. While I am not in the games are art camp I find it hilarious that difficult games means all of a sudden you have to walk a game back because not everyone can play it. Even though the game is designed around that difficulty. It would be like making all resident evil games very well lit and giving you tons of ammo all of a sudden. It literally changes the game. I have no qualms watching let’s plays of games I can’t/won’t play.

My unpopular opinion: people behind the scenes should be able to make games that have representation without people hollering that it is pandering. All representation is pandering. And yes it is representation or otherwise the majority of characters would look like something other than the majority races of their creating country. The only difference is now people have the freedom to create what they want. Minorities have been making creative media forever, the difference is if they wanted to keep a job they often had to draw characters that they didn’t relate to. Now that is more optional so obviously people are gonna make characters that look like the actors behind them or are more relatable to them. I say the same when it isn’t representation but simply not restricting based on appearance. We are gamers. If most of the Japanese devs we all grew up on were as closed minded then all those blonde and blue eyed (or whatever non Japanese appearances we have seen on Japanese created characters over the decades) protags would have obviously been Japanese in appearance instead. It’s ok when the Japanese do it but not other devs? Get outta here with that nonsense. Do I expect others to play those games if they don’t want (even though they have that luxury of refusing) nope, but shut up about it. Not every protag as to be the middle aged gruff white male 80s action hero stereotype.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

jump

@Ryu_Niiyama the specific argument about representation that does my head in and pops up a lot of this forum is the because it’s bad/average but features representation it should not exist as only if it’s good they should be able to get away with using an under represented character. To me that just comes off as being okay with mediocre white protagonists but denying the right for everyone else to be gloriously mediocre too!

There’s also the bias confirmation lot who are just boring to deal with but they have made their minds up already.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

kkslider5552000

Pacman World 2 is a good game, I'm still surprised how many people really love it. It feels like the definition of a solid, 7/10 game. Even as someone who grew up with it, there were many better and more exciting games around that time, I just don't think its that remarkable. Maybe its just because Ps2 was hoarding so many of the best games of the genre at that time, so you had more limited options on GCN and Xbox, but of all games, Pacman World 2? Probably wouldn't bring it up because who cares, but I did see some people try to undersell how good games like Pacman Championship Edition are by comparison, which I can't fathom how anyone remotely into Pacman wouldn't adore Championship Edition.

Part of me also wants to put Battle for Bikini Bottom in the same boat, but I at least get the hype for that in the context of being a licensed game that's actually worth playing (and I actually bothered to finish that one back in the day, and it has more memorable levels).

I dunno. Like I have a fondness for games like Glover, and I feel it has some genuinely great parts to it, but I'm fully aware its not some masterpiece either. (another 3d platformer that was also a lot more interesting (for better or worse) tbh)

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Misadventures of Tron Bonne Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy TRON BONNE < Link to LP

Snatcher

@Kairu They don’t because not all developers know how to do it right, even then they might want there game to be played by a group of people who like such and such games, be it easy, hard, it’s nice when it’s there, doesn’t need to be.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it) Remind me to ask jump about those ninja skills of his.

New edited pfp!

KAIRU

@Snatcher Yeah, that’s fair. Obviously difficulty options have their place, but oftentimes it’s just the same formula: less health for the player and more health for the enemies. It’d be kinda cool if devs actually did something to make each difficulty feel different.

Can usually be found doing something. Often seen wearing clothes. Blocking is for the weak.

Always wondered why a frisbee kept getting bigger the closer it gets. Then it hit me.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5654-2661-1612 | Twitter:

Snatcher

Kairu wrote:

@Snatcher Yeah, that’s fair. Obviously difficulty options have their place, but oftentimes it’s just the same formula: less health for the player and more health for the enemies. It’d be kinda cool if devs actually did something to make each difficulty feel different.

Or when they just turn the combat to Sponge the game, so annoying.

Yeah I would also like it if they made them feel different.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it) Remind me to ask jump about those ninja skills of his.

New edited pfp!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic