Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 11,101 to 11,120 of 11,138

Grumblevolcano

@kkslider5552000 That is the result of pretty much the whole game's content being optional and completable in any order. It'll be interesting to see how Pokemon Scarlet/Violet approaches this.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

VoidofLight

@Grumblevolcano I mean, not really. A Link Between Worlds did it's dungeons in any order, and they still had their own unique themes, puzzles, and storylines. BotW's dungeons just kind of failed because they felt like the interiors were soulless carbon copies, and the bosses were pretty much similar to one another. Even though I get what they were going for, I feel like they could still do actual legitimate dungeons in an open world game.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

kkslider5552000

VoidofLight wrote:

A Link Between Worlds did it's dungeons in any order, and they still had their own unique themes, puzzles, and storylines.

Ok, let's be honest here though. The Divine Beasts are a tiny portion of BOTW. ALBW's dungeons is almost like half of ALBW, even more if you go by content not taken exactly one-to-one from LTTP. Not too shocked the latter put vastly more priority with dungeons than the former, to say the least.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Misadventures of Tron Bonne Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy TRON BONNE < Link to LP

Grumblevolcano

@VoidofLight There's still a sense of linearity in ALBW even though you do have some choice in the order you do things. You have to go to Hyrule Castle first, you have to beat the first 3 dungeons after leaving Hyrule Castle before you can access the Dark World, etc. Meanwhile in BotW there's a start point (exiting the Shrine of Resurrection) and an end point (defeating Ganon in Hyrule Castle), what else you do and in what order is completely up to you with no limits.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Xyphon22

@kkslider5552000 I agree, and have always thought it odd how much hate the Divine Beasts receive. Yes, them and the bosses within all LOOKED the same, but they were different otherwise. And I liked how they were essentially like four gigantic puzzles. I guess if you're the kind of person that likes Oracle of Seasons more than Ages then that might not appeal to you as much, but I loved it. I just want more than four.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

kidkytes

I'm a weird person in that BOTW does absolutely nothing for me and I tried it for 5 hours from a friend giving me their copy. I didn't find it fufilling to play, I heavily dislike the weapon breaking system and it's boring. Doesn't help that shortly after this I got told by quite a few people and an old streamer community that, "You don't really enjoy it until 20 hours." which is just...what? That's a terrible way to even pitch anything to anyone! Then the icing on the cake of me simply saying that it isn't a game made for me and getting a reply of, "Well you're not playing it properly." just made me dig my heels into the ground of outright disliking it lol.

kidkytes

kaisu

@kidkytes tbh, there is no "right" way to play BOTW and the game only gets better when the player wants it to get better ( it wont change its pace or have some massive plot twist/new gaming changing mechanic, you have to do it yourself by exploring random areas, challenging powerfull monsters, getting into the lore habbit hole or creating your own battle tactic) and it is this freedom that make BOTW the game many love, if it didn't clicked to you in the great plateau, or the first main quest, it really isn't the game for you, and forcing yourself to play the game to the end probally won't make the game more enjoyable.

Edited on by kaisu

kaisu

kidkytes

@kaisu Yeah which is why I'm glad I never bought it lol. It's apples and oranges in that I'm more intrigued by an 'open world' design like in Nier Automata more because it just feels like it's bursting with personality rather than the bland BOTW style to me. I give games 5 hours now or maybe 10 hours if it's a JRPG and if I'm not feeling it, then I'm not gonna continue playing it.

kidkytes

Fizza

I actually really like/enjoy the brand new weapons Splatoon 3 introduced to the series.

I remember playing the Tri-Stringer and Splatana Wiper during the Splatfest World Premiere and feeling only one emotion: crushing disappointment. The Stringer was as slow as molasses, couldn't paint to save its life and felt damn near impossible to actually get a kill with while the Splatana felt like whacking someone with pool noodle most of the time, never really getting the chance to use its OHKO whatsoever. I dropped them almost as quickly as I started them to focus on my loves from 2 (Aerospray/Dualie Squelchers my beloved) and thought it would be the exact same when the game finally came out.

Fast forward to today and those two classes are arguably some of my most played out of all of them. I still have issues with the both of them (such as Stringers painfully miniscule shot hitbox and Splatana's tap swipes feeling a bit unresponsive at points) but between learning how to properly utilise the two mentioned previously in addition to the absolutely busted stats and kits of the Reef-Lux 450 and Splatana Stamper? Suffice to say they've gone up in my good books considerably (the Splatana Wiper is actually my most played weapon as of now, with a 10.7% use rate according to SplatNet).

Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
I will be on Splatoon brainrot for the next month, apologies in advance
Currently performing a summoning circle for a 2nd Ace Attorney Trilogy
'You're always you, no matter what you look like' - Captain 3, Splatoon 3

kidkytes

I've been trying out the Splatanas and they're really fun! Since the pre release splatfest was limited time you weren't given much opportunity to experiment with the new weapons. The thing that has been most surprising is that I've finally started enjoying using rollers! I hated using them in Splatoon 2 but since I gave them a shot in 3, I've discovered I'm actually quite good at them. Going back into Splatoon 2 I've got a new appreciation for them and decided to go back and unlock the Hero Replica Roller.

kidkytes

VoidofLight

@Grumblevolcano It's true that BotW just lets you do anything at any time, and I... sort of hated that? Like I'm all for an open world Zelda, but a lot suffered while they left it completely open. ALBW had a perfect amount of freedom with the dungeons and stuff that made the game replayable, and I don't see why they can't end up just doing that but with a bigger map and more side stuff to do. Sure, there's a "dungeon order" but it's less restrictive than being told you have to do every dungeon within a specific order, and it actually gives the game some semblance of story other than "Wander around empty world endlessly and collect cutscenes that happened so long ago with characters who died."

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

kaisu

@kidkytes yeah, it isn't for everybody. It cliked to me because i used to buy a few games at a year, and BOTW gave a big replay factor, so it was a gold mine to the early teenager me lol. And with time i got intrested in world design, and liked the more geographic exploration focused BOTW model instead of the "follow this quest objective" model most games use, it focus too much on map/UI and rewards than making the world itself more interesting to explore

kaisu

Anti-Matter

After some play, I felt less impressed by Battle system of Paper Mario The Origami King as it felt I have to think in rush to allign the enemies before fighting.
I prefer Color Splash and Sticker Stars battle system as it felt like FF VIII style in term of using the ability cards and the Things summon.

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Snatcher

The combat for origami king, tbh, wile it wasn’t really a good system compared to previous entry’s, it could be satisfying, and enjoyable from time to time, but the dialogue, the characters, (Even with the limit they had) were so fun and enjoyable, it made it all worth it. But I haven’t gotten to 100% the game, when I do get to that who knows when, I will probably have different opinions, but as of now, I love that game, surprisingly.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it) Remind me to ask jump about those ninja skills of his.

Takoda

Never thought I’d read someone preferring sticker star and color splash to origami king in terms of combat. Well, origami king is admittedly an acquired taste, but the fundamental issues with the other two really dampened my enjoyment, even though I finished both.

Then again, I say that as someone who finished all three of those and couldn’t even drag myself through the classics yet, even though those get praised to the high heavens, so who am I to judge, haha. Still want to play the original, thousand year door and super but just never got the motivation to see it all the way through. Loved origami king, a fun adventure all the way with a lot of charm.

I keep buying fighting games for some reason, even though I barely got anyone to play against.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7519-0735-1595

I-U

I've played all of the Paper Mario games, but the only one so far to maintain my interest from start to end has been TTYD. Based solely on how far I am in the other games, Origami King would be second favorite Paper Mario game. I stopped playing in Bowser's Castle and have yet to return to finish the game. Usually, I end up feeling there are better games to be playing, new and old, and that if I want a grand Mario adventure experience there are the better Mario & Luigi games. TTYD had the benefit of the Mario & Luigi series not being a series at the time, otherwise I might not have seen that game to its end either.

Generally, Paper Mario feels too slow and uninvolved, and I think future games should completely commit to the adventure genre rather than trying to hang on to what's left of its former RPG identity.

"The secret to ultimate power lies in the Alimbic Cluster."

jump

NintendoLife is an unimaginative name…

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Snatcher

@Takoda I will never truly know, but I can almost guarantee that I would dispose color splash and sticker stars combat. I love card games, but the way they did it feels so shallow, and so boring!

@jump Psst. You can’t say that, they might take you NL card away.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside.

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it) Remind me to ask jump about those ninja skills of his.

Pizzamorg

Both BOTW and Spider-Man are on my list catchily titled 'But aren't these basically just modern Ubisoft games that everyone is highly critical of? Like both are great games, but come on now, we don't need to throw around #masterpeice just because one is made by Nintendo and the other by Sony'.

I've personally had far more fun with Ghost of Tsushima and Cyberpunk 2077 than either of those titles.

You can also add the God of War remake to my list of, "yeah the game is great but calling it a '#masterpiece' is going a little far"

Oh, and finally, no hyperbole, warts and all, Yakuza: Like a Dragon is probably the best game I have played since Red Dead Redemption 2. Now those are what masterpieces look like.

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381

PC games currently playing: The Division 2. Yakuza 0.
PS5 Games currently playing: Ghost of Tsushima. Miles Morales.

Waiting for the new Pokemon game to pick up my Switch again.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic