Forums

Topic: The Table Top Gaming thread

Posts 301 to 320 of 444

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx Oh yeah for sure there are tons of historical games out there. Some are not war based but more about resource management a personal favorite of mine is Puerto Rico, which takes place during colonial times, you are a governor and you have to manage the colony. What do you think of this type of games?

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 Resource management games can be fun IMO. Depends on how the rules and mechanics are implemented though. Not sure I've ever done much of that in a tabletop format outside of play money.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx Resource management games like you said can be awesome. I have another good one not historical but actually dnd based called Lords of Waterdeep, based in the forgotten realms dnd setting. It’s pretty awesome. Which would you be more interested in historical based or fantssy based?

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 Honestly, both. I certainly enjoy different fantasy settings, but I also find certain historical periods quite interesting. I've always had some interest in history in general.

Forgotten Realms, you say? From what little I do know about that setting, it's an interesting and very popular one.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx yep Forgotten Realms is pretty awesome. If I am not mistaken tyranny of dragons takes place in the realms, because that’s the default setting for dnd. So you might already be in the realms in dnd. Check with your dm on that cause they could always change the setting.

Anyhoo have you ever played anything like Pandemic a co op board game?

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 I'll have to check with our DM for sure, but I suspect you're correct on the setting. I'm still learning about D&D's branching worlds and lore, and it's already been well over a year. XD Closing in on two years.

I know of Pandemic but haven't played the original game. I've played a very difficult version called Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu. That game was cooperation based, but a lot of it is down to luck as well. Our group had some good plans in place, but we were hosed thanks to the game's rules. Too many big bads on the field to stop the end of the world. There was an old flash game I used to like playing on occasion called Pandemic II; instead of treating infections, you're trying to spread a virus, bacterium, or parasite you engineer and upgrade.

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx I have pandemic Cthulhu and it rocks. Pandemic 2 huh? That sounds like it would be fun and if only some one could make it into a board game. Is there a board game you really want to try down the line?

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 I've never played Settlers of Catan and have heard great things about the game. I've thought about buying it and trying it with family, but that wouldn't happen often. I'm a bit of a black sheep when it comes to video games and less conventional board games.

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 Basically the odd one out. Outside of the rare board game, my family isn't much for gaming these days. Especially video games. I sort of got into most other game types on my own.

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx I can understand that. Maybe there is a board game out there your family would like. Here is a websit that’s very handy for board gaming, let me know what you think if you get a chance to look at it.
https://boardgamegeek.com/

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 Ah, BGG! I've run across their material in more than one web search. It's definitely a great resource, though I admit it isn't one I've browsed other than in passing. The link is appreciated!

I forgot to mention that my family will play a couple of classic card games like Uno.

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx BGG is good stuff. Sorry for the late response, with the holidays and all that jazz. BGG is good stuff, are you going to check out BGG more often? Ahh nice Uno is good stuff. Have you played any uno variants?

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 NP lol. I've been busy with the holidays too. BGG is a good resource, so I'll bookmark it for future use. Besides regular Uno, I've played Uno Flip. Don't believe I've played any other variants though.

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx There are some good variants out there. I got some new board games over the holidays including a Godzilla, that alien board game, and one called the crew. Also a good resource is the channel called Dice Tower. They are really, not sure if you are too familiar with them?

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 Don't believe I've heard of Dice Tower. I should check them out! Nothing much on the tabletop or board game front lately, though I bought a Harry Potter themed version of Clue for a couple at a Friendmas I'm going to tomorrow. I suspect we'll play a few games there, but nothing specific has been discussed.

Tasuki

@Tyranexx Nice on the Harry Potter themed Clue. I got the Critical Role themed Clue for Christmas myself. Haven't played a game of it yet but I suspect like most themed Clue games it has a few twists to the rules and such.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Tyranexx

@Tasuki I like classic Clue, so I'm sort of hoping they'll go ahead and set up a game of Clue: Harry Potter Edition while I'm there. Up to six players have to find what happened to a vanished student. The board layout in this version can change using a special die (open/close doors, changing a secret passage way, etc.). Rolling the dark mark on the special die will cause that player to lose house points. If a player's house points drop to zero, they're out of the game. There are also two different card decks, help cards players can earn from the special roll (consisting of helpful items, characters, spells) and a dark deck, from which a card must be pulled when the dark mark appears. Help cards can combat the dark deck cards.

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx Nice om Harry Potter clue, hat games did you guys play at the Friendmas ? I think if you like clue, you would,like Letters from Whitecastle that’s a very good game.

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

It was suggested that we play Clue: Harry Potter Edition, but it was getting pretty late by that point. Some of us had to be up and about fairly early on Sunday.

@Themagusx1 We had a slight start delay, mostly on behalf of the hosts but slightly on me as well (I was royally train trolled so arrived ~10-15 minutes late). We ended up playing Cards Against Humanity. We mixed the regular version with the "Family Edition" set. That brought up some very interesting combinations.

I think I've heard of Letters from Whitecastle but confess I've never looked into it.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic