Forums

Topic: Everything Star Wars discussion thread| How you doing, you old pirate?

Posts 1,021 to 1,040 of 1,108

VoidofLight

I might watch the Obi-Wan series, but Iโ€™m not convinced they wonโ€™t screw it up. I hope they wonโ€™t, but itโ€™s Disney, so you never know with them.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

reporterdavid

hello, I was already searching for a star wars topic. This weekend are the star wars days as you might know.

@WoomyNNYes thanks for sharing. the people who are at the entrance (and all the others) now know... that your rich or had just spend about 4000 dollars... hm.
it looks fun, like a ride. but not worthy of buying 4000 dollars (for me).

Edited on by reporterdavid

Have a nice day. Voiceactor: The Pirates! (Sony/Aardman 2012) - The Passion: A Brickfilm (Neema 2019) - The Torchlighters: The Story of John Newton (Vision Video 2022)

Henmii

Well, I liked the Obi wan series (I seem to be in the minority). Finally a Star wars series with lightsabers, Jedi vs Sith. That's what I always wanted. Much better then Boba fett, wich was just a tie-in to the upcoming Mandalorian season. And the inquisitors making their live-action debut was great.

Of course the hardcore fanbase moans, as always. They had this idea for a Kenobi vs Darth rematch, I always found that idea daft. And now that it is there, oh no it doesn't live up to the expectations. Sure, the fight might not have been the best of the series but it still was a very good fight. Quite a dirty fight in my opinion. Dear people, your childhood excitement for Star wars never comes back, you are jaded. You have ideas that can never truly become reality even in the hands of masters, excitement-wise. This counts for many movies, games, etc. We have become old!

I always found the rematch idea daft, but even then they managed to do a great job. Of course they wouldn't do a whole movie about Obi moping in the desert (and Darth moping in his Starship). You simply don't have a Starwars movie/series that way, not one that feels like Starwars anyway. Of course there had to be a incentive for Obi to leave the planet and face Darth, in this instance the kidnapping of young Leia. Though I must say that for a Starwars it contains very little humor, please Disney don't forget that Starwars always had good humor (not of the Marvel kind). What annoyed me though was that Reva lived through the stabbing. Life and death seems to have gone completely out of the window, in Starwars episode 9 they could even heal each-others stabwounds. That's just wrong.

I wonder though how long Disney will dabble in old Starwars. There's just a limit to what you can do before it gets truly stale. I heard they might do a Darth vader series, that sounds awful. I think they should do a series about the origins of the inquisitors, a series about Snoke and how the emperor survived, maybe a series about Papatine's life before he became the emperor, a series about the Kotor era and a series about future Starwars (I heard there will be at least a animated series far in the future).

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

gcunit

I disagree with much of the above post. The story delivered via the Obi-Wan series could have been made into a very good movie. But presumably it's much cheaper to produce a mini series instead, so that's what they went for.

The trouble being that the Star Wars story is a cinematic story, and the characters and themes are of cinematic heritage. Dropping them into a budget setting doesn't do these epic properties justice. You can get away with animated series because there's a clear difference in the medium, but by making a Dr. Who version of Star Wars, you end up with this 'uncanny valley' result where you're seeing these epic characters, but the epic soundtrack and production values are missing. Seeing the real Darth Vader in an occasional TV advert? Sure, because there's a clear distinction in terms of what's being presented, it's a novelty, but seeing the real Vader in a Star Wars story just without the screenplay, set design and cinematography etc.? Not for me.

I'd love to know why they used so little of the classic Star Wars musical motifs. Is it 'cos they'd have to pay John Williams a boat load, or is it because they don't want to dilute the magic of those motifs for use in the films? But there was barely any imperial march, barely a hint of Leia's theme, and I'm not sure if the Force theme was used at all. Star Wars fans are suckas for JW's themes and they could have helped paper over some of the other cracks in this series.

The last episode was the best one, but there was still a pretty big flaw in the story. As the Kenobi/Vader confrontation took shape, I was thinking, 'One thing they can't do is just have the two of them walking away at the end of this, something has to happen to justify them both still alive at the end'. But what do we get? Obi-Wan just walking away when he could have ended it, and for no apparent reason. Unless Obi-Wan somehow got some sense that it would someday be important that Anakin survive in order to help Luke against the Emperor, but the ending gave no reason to think that Obi-Wan sensed this. So he should have just killed him to correct the complacency he committed at the end of Revenge of the Sith. But no, he just walks away, leaving Vader free to carry on committing whatever atrocities he likes for the next 10 years. That's twice that Obi-Wan has set out to kill Vader and twice that he's failed to finish the job. The first time was understandable, he assumed he had done the job and didn't want to watch Anakin's demise. But what was his excuse the second time?

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

StarPoint

@WoomyNNYes I'm glad that Waititi is directing it, since he also directed Thor: Ragnarok, one of my favorite Marvel movies. I think he could add an interesting spin to the ever-so-dull feel that the movies have had lately.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 5 Royal (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

Henmii

@gcunit

It didn't feel budget to me. As for the music: The score is done by John williams, not by someone else. And his Kenobi theme is pretty good in my opinion. But why they didn't use beloved Starwars themes I don't know. It didn't bother me. They don't have to use the old themes all the time in my opinion.

As for Obi-wan not finishing the job: It wasn't very wise of him, but I guess he was so shocked about what Darth said. He just felt no honor in killing him, as weird as that may sound. Besides he felt he was more needed elsewhere. That's how I felt it anyway.

Henmii

Pizzamorg

I am like two episodes behind on Andor now, and I just wanted to chime in and say that it is such a weird show. In no other context would it be seen as a positive to have basically all fantastical elements removed, but this provides us a street level view of Star Wars in a way really unlike anything we've seen before. Scenes that would otherwise be boring in any other context, for Star Wars actually give the universe more texture, a more genuinely lived in feeling.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Okami1

wait this thread is a thing... I'm gonna save this for later

dysgraphia awareness human

RR529

I read the Star Wars Jedi: Aayla Secura one shot this morning. Not much to say about it, though it was fun seeing her face off against a bounty hunter I recognized from the Clone Wars TV series.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

gcunit

This thread has become a great example of the Disneyfication that has gone on. No-one would have dared go off topic for this long in a Star Wars thread before ๐Ÿ˜œ

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Henmii

Recently watched Visions, Tales of the Jedi, Andor, and Galaxy of adventures.

Galaxy of adventures are really short animations, but they look pretty cool (better then Forces of destiny) and would be well suited for a full-length series.

Visions was lovely, really a bummer those are also pretty short. A lovely array of different art-styles. Some of them are really suited for a complete series. The second one was pretty weak though, compared to the rest.

Tales of the Jedi was pretty good for Count Dooku, but they could definitely have done more with Ahsoka.

And finally Andor: Everyone is raving about it, but not me. The series is very serious (as was Rogue One, I know) and contains lots and lots of Game of thrones kind of dialogue-scenes. That's not suited for Star wars, especially the kind of dialogue (wich was pretty hard for me to follow as a Dutchman, and it also contained lots of terms of planets and stuff I didn't know). It looked and sounded great though, with surprisingly many famous actors. It had nice actions-scenes. And okay, some dialogue was pretty good (Like Maarva's speech). Cassian himself however wasn't that strong in my opinion. Overall, the scenes that where strong still make me look forward to season 2.

By the way: I think Maarva's death was staged. I mean: Wasn't her funeral stone to be shot in space like somekind of fireworks? And did the Rebel-leader slap someone with the stone? I was feelin from the start that the funeral was fake, Maarva is not in the stone!

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

WoomyNNYes

After catching up to the most current Mandalorian, I moved onto The Book of Boba Fett, which was also created by Jon Favreau (creator of mandalorian). I like it so far. I'm on ep4 of the 7 episode season (there's only one season).

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

card-crunch78

I'm looking forward to "Star Wars: Young Jedi Adventures", an animated series aimed at preschoolers (set centuries before "The Phantom Menace").

Edited on by card-crunch78

๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ

card-crunch78

@Eagly Yeah, the series is going to premiere May 4th (get it?) on Disney Junior and Disney+. That'll be the second "Star Wars" I binge on, along with The Mandalorian.

Unlike other Star Wars fans, I'm more of a "along for the ride" guy as I don't try to keep up with a huge chunk of the lore since the SW universe is... well, huge. And complex. And often times controversial.

Edited on by card-crunch78

๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ

Okami1

I like s3 of Mando is far.

dysgraphia awareness human

WoomyNNYes

Colonel_Mustache wrote:

@WoomyNNYes I'm glad you're liking it, it's been my least favorite out of all of them, but I hope you continue to enjoy it!

Yeah, I'm on the last episode of Book of Boba. So, I liked it enough to finish the season. Does that mean the Obi Wan series is better than Book of Boba Fett?

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

card-crunch78

Otherwise, I've seen all the main movies plus Rogue One and Solo.

๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ

samuelvictor

I don't usually post on these forums and just stick to the comments under articles, but then I saw an ongoing Star Wars thread pop up in the side bar and had to jump in!

Its obligatory and a running joke with my friends that I have to take any opportunity to jump in and mention my claim to fame as being the guy that says "Just Let The Girl Speak" in Rogue One, a rewrite line that I actually suggested myself for the reshoots. One line in a movie might not sound like much... but if you think about it, everything from New Hope onwards would not exist in canon if it weren't for my character!

Also, I recently did an AMA on Reddit about this situation, and everything that subsequently happened with the line being picked up as a meme, hashtag and slogan used for women's rights movements and #metoo. It got over 3.2 million views and thousands of questions and comments.

I've been asked to write a book about my experiences in the industry, and how I am working to make a safer and fairer work environment in films I produce, cleaning up systematic problems in "Hollywood" with a new company making blockbusters the right way. Any and all proceeds from the book (and any Star Wars related appearances I've ever made) go to creating jobs and training for women and under-represented groups in the industry. I don't know if I'm allowed to self promote here or post links but the book is currently on a major crowd funding site, and the title of the book is the line I said

To promote the book, I've started to appear in many different Star Wars and Disney related podcasts and have many media appearances and interviews lined up over the next month, including being at Star Wars Celebration next month!

(and before anyone says that I'm lying, we've been over this many times before in comments sections here and OGs will know that its been proved time and again, and many people involved with this site know me personally because of my retro gaming adjacent and game dev career.)

May the Force Be With You all!

Edited on by samuelvictor

samuelvictor

@Colonel_Mustache Thanks so much! (and btw I'm a big fan of the American Office too)

I've been a huge Star Wars fan all my life so it was a dream come true. Since 2015 I've been lucky enough to be involved with Star Wars as a brand/IP in many ways, all for charity/good causes, but having a line in Rogue One will always be where my film career peaked, no matter what happens after.

I've looked over the forum rules and I don't think I'm allowed to post a link to the Kickstarter for the book, however, I've added the link to my signiture! Sneaky "Rebel" workaround?

If you are interested in the full story of how it all happened, or how it has shaped my career path since, or more on the systematic changes my company is bringing about in the wider blockbuster film industry, the Reddit AMA is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/10l0wfg/im_the_guy...

I recently appeared on "Live Action Star Wars" podcast https://youtu.be/Y-qyFQ4Wc_k
and Disney's "Hyperion Review", Pt 1: (talks about Star Wars & my book) https://spoti.fi/3y8lHEI
& Pt 2: (my time with Don Bluth, Disneyland Paris, and how to break into the industry) https://spoti.fi/3Lf2zMO

Hopefully those links are allowed, as they aren't selling things or asking for subs etc, simply linking to third party places where I'm discussing Star Wars and other relevant topics to this forum - Don Bluth etc. But If I'm incorrect, mods feel free to snip this or remove the post. Thanks!

Edited on by samuelvictor

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic