Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 38,721 to 38,740 of 96,481

ThanosReXXX

Tyranexx wrote:

Licorice is one of the sweet foods I can easily ignore; I don't particularly care for it, especially that foul black licorice stuff. Try biting into one of those flavored jelly beans that you think is actually a grape one....Yuck. :nauseated_face:

WHAT??? Utter blasphemy! Licorice is actually my favorite candy, besides chocolate. But of course, not that weird stuff that you can get over there in the States but real licorice (or drop, as we call it over here) in all of its hundreds of variations. There's so many kinds and flavors to choose from, that it's almost unthinkable that there wouldn't be a single kind among them that someone wouldn't like.

@bimmy-lee If you're going to convert that basement living room into a game room, you should also add a generator and make it storm and water proof. Would make an awesome hideout in case of calamities and would make sure that you and the family wouldn't be bored during the obligatory stay...

@Eel Bit of a late reaction, but those are some cool pictures. I agree with @Tyranexx though, in that it would be interesting to see some more pictures of the surrounding area.

@Anti-Matter Ah, a cat video, always good. Or is it? Nope, it's not, it's just cats fighting. Unfortunately, it isn't funny at all. If you actually think it is, then you must either really dislike cats, or you have a weird (or no) sense of humor...

@Woomy_NNYes That's a cool looking tree. Looks like a nice backdrop for a sci-fi movie or a video game.
I never expected that to be the oldest tree, though. I always thought it was the Redwoods. Those are famous worldwide, such as the one with a tunnel running through it. Or am I confusing the oldest tree with the tallest ones? I think that might be the case, but then again: what do I know...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX
I really like Cat and Kitten. 😘
Just now i met 4 baby kittens at old building and played with them for a while before i went to McDonald for dinner time.
I just posted a video of cat fight with their funny howling and i played at speed x 0.25 (Very slow speed) 😆
Even funnier i found an Autotuned cat fight from Youtube.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter What part of "it's NOT funny" did you not get? The howling is out of anger or distress, so that's not really something comical. And what's funny about fighting animals?
Exactly: NOTHING.

Pffff....

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Anti-Matter

@ThanosReXXX
Not the fighting part, but the howling part was funny to me.
When the sound get autotuned, i'm speechless....

It was hilarious. 🤣
Maybe it will not funny for you as a Normal people but for me it was quite Funny.

Edit:
Oh, btw...
I cannot be lectured to behave like a Plain Vanilla Normal Guy like you, without zaniness and quirkiness.
I will be me, even my joke sense might disturbing you.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

WoomyNNYes

@ThanosReXXX I think Giant redwoods have at least hit 2000 years old, so you're right, they can live a really long time impressively long.

You think the Bristleconel looks like its in science fiction scenery, because Bristlecone is native to western CA, where LOTS of science fiction has been shot, because its conveniently close to Hollywood/Los Angeles, where they shoot tv & movies (also because that region is nice year round, ideal companies that make tv & movies year round). Start Trek Next Gen shot there every time they were on a "different" planet You may know that already, but I spelled it out there in case others around the world hadn't made the connection.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX I'd be willing to try some candy variants in other countries as I know the ingredients generally differ (and likely higher quality in many cases). But one of the most popular licorice brands here, Twizzlers, are definitely not my cup of tea. :nauseated_face: They taste like bland strawberries with way too much sugar.

I've never seen the California Redwood trees, but I have seen the Giant Sequoias in Sequoia National Park. They're definitely a must-see! I'd never live in California, but I'd like to go back sometime just to see the more natural areas the state has to offer; I've only been to the southern portion of the state on a family vacation over a decade ago.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

ThanosReXXX

@Anti-Matter I suppose the sound on its own, or put through auto-tune could be perceived as funny, but the thing is, that once you know and understand what the reason of the sound is and what it means, then that actual meaning quite seriously takes away from any comedic value that it might have. Well, at least for people capable of understanding and feeling empathy for other living creatures.

It's quite easy to understand for the majority of the people, and as such, laughing about another creature's distress, anger or pain is rightfully frowned upon and criticized.

And just because I understand and respect that, doesn't mean that I'm a "plain vanilla normal guy". I'm anything but, which you should already have known by now, if you had shown any capacity to learn from others, instead of just being stubborn or single-minded most of the time. But I'll give you a pass this time, for being your weird, usual self, because I already expected this kind of reply anyway, that's how easy you are to figure out. You're far from zany or quirky, because you're simply highly predictable...

Oh, and I honestly couldn't care less about lecturing you, nor am I trying to, because numerous sincerely friendly efforts of mine in the recent past, to genuinely try and make you understand certain things that are simply undeniable, have already proven to be an utterly useless waste of my precious time and energy, as well as my mental well-being.

I'm truly beginning to understand your brother more and more...

@Zuljaras Oh well, always better than being a weird, single-minded loner, no?
And hey, nothing wrong with vanilla in and of itself, as long as it's ice cream or in a cake...

P.S.

You posting reminded me that I still need to dig up my old D&D figurines, like I promised. Been a bit busier than usual last week, and had a tiny accident, causing an old injury to resurface again, so I've kind of had my hands full.

@Woomy_NNYes Well, to be honest, I was kinda suspecting it actually might be an actual backdrop for movies or series, but that is not why I said it or what I was actually thinking with complete certainty. It just gave me the instant impression of looking alien/otherworldly.

Anyway, the conclusion concerning the trees is still that, although Redwoods can also become quite old, they'll still never reach the age of this Bristlecone tree, right? Well, at least the Redwoods age a bit more nicely, unless of course old and gnarly is more your thing...

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx Yeah, I figured it be something like that, or these licorice shoe lace thingies...
That's not real licorice, though. That's almost more like wine gums or something like that.

Ah, the Sequoias... another natural marvel that I too would like to see for myself, some day. However, my bucket list for places to go and things to see and/or do before I exchange the temporary for the eternal has become SO long, that at my age, I may have to start thinking about prioritizing certain items on that list, and considering others a nice bonus, if I still succeed in reaching them...

Eel

I bought an Atari flashback portable at a dollar general store (no it wasn't one dollar 😒) and it's weird because I can't find this particular model on Amazon to compare the prices... Well not that I matters much now that bought it but still...

It's pretty cute, and it comes with namco games so that kinda adds value. Feels pretty cheap though.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras I'll post the pictures in the artist thread this week, promise...

@Eel Atari Flashback portable? Is that like a Lynx, with a screen?

Tyranexx

@ThanosReXXX "Blandly flavored wax candy straws" might be a better description for the licorice I've had. I had a fully- braided, non-hollow kind several years ago that wasn't too bad, but it still didn't thrill me.

My bucket list keeps growing, too. Other than that one time, I haven't been to the West Coast here at all. I'd like to get up into Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia in Canada at some point too. Mainly to see the natural landscape (Random Tyranexx fact: I find volcanoes fascinating but have seen few volcanic features in my life), but also to experience a little of the more famous cities like Portland, OR, Vancouver, BC, and Seattle, WA.

I've seen the occasional complaint online that some Americans don't get out of our own country very much. Besides the travel costs to get much of anywhere across the pond (and believe me, many of us want to), we have a LOT to see and do within our own massive space. Besides most of the West Coast in general, I haven't been to the Northeastern part of the country at all.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

bimmy-lee

I read yesterday that the Super Bowl was watched live by just under 100 million people. Just curious if anyone here tuned in who otherwise doesn’t really pay attention to the NFL? I still find it amazing when so many people tune in to the same thing at the same time. Live sports is really the only thing left we’ll allow to dictate when and how we consume it.

@ThanosReXXX - I have plenty of time to plan it all out. I’d say it’ll be a play/art & craft room for the next six to eight years, then we’ll probably replace the flooring and make it a couch and TV room when the kids are older, and then years later... maaaaybe I’ll be able to start in making it what I envisioned many, many years ago when we got the place, before my kids started dominating my life: an at home basement barcade.

I’d love a generator, it’s in the long term plans. We get random outages living in a wooded area. While we don’t have water issues in the basement (knocking furiously on wood it stays that way), I don’t think I could get it water tight as there are ground level windows, and a walkout door out to the back with sidelight windows. I have had multiple water related problems down there, but they’ve all been from water lines, drains, and the water heater.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx And don't forget Iowa. Speckle on the map, small as it is, compared to other states, it has a significant importance both historically and politically, AND it has a traditional Dutch bakery, actually run by people with ties to this little country, so if you're ever curious about what kinds of bread, pastries and cookies we eat over here, then that's the only place to go in the entire US of A. There are other "Dutch" shops, but those are more of a gimmick than an actually Dutch shop, run by people that are of actual Dutch heritage, and that still makes bread in the classical, artisan way.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@bimmy-lee Well, couldn't you add/install/adapt those windows to get some rubber lining or whatever, making the space water proof when closed? Piping/tubing/drains causing problems sounds more like an insulation/sealing problem to me. Then again: what do I know? Other than being good with a paint brush or roller, and being able to do some basic woodwork, I'm not really a handy man by nature, unless it concerns building/repairing PC's, so I always hire or find someone to do that kind of stuff for me.

Far as the NFL/Superbowl goes, that's only a limited fanbase over here for the sport itself, but the Superbowl concerts and all the crazy commercials are always welcomed with open arms over here.

Seen most of it yesterday, in short flashes, so I got the general gist of it. Not from the match itself, mind you.

ThanosReXXX

@Eel Ah, yes. That thing. I do believe that NLife did a review or preview of it once. I'd be interested to know your personal verdict on it, so once you've had the chance to really put it through its paces, I hope you might be persuaded to make a mini review on it.

As for the PS1 Mini: that's probably around the same price by now. I've seen it go for even cheaper, because it obviously didn't do all that well, but the average price will probably also be around 40 in most cases.

Ninfan

Anyone got a ATARI VCS

Ninfan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic