Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 36,821 to 36,840 of 96,523

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia It actually wasn't so much about giving you credit, but more about my view on things, in that regard, that I don't feel like it serves any purpose to try and convince and/or persuade any person to think otherwise, much less trying to "enlighten" them...

Not saying that this is what you're trying to do, just elaborating on my own view on things.

As for justice systems: we're not all on the same side, because as mentioned, I go by the local system, which is the exact opposite of the American system. A system that is more prone to convict and lock up innocent people than the system that's used here. And of course, that's also due to the difference of how the respective media handles things. Over here, the accused are anonymous, and there's no pictures or video of them on national news, which is another measure to prevent that people will suffer needless damage, if it turns out that they're actually not guilty. Now, obviously, no single system is perfect, because they each have their pros and cons, but from an innocently accused person's perspective, I'd say that the system we use over here is far preferable than the American version...

As for the short-term thinkers: I've come to suspect, not too surprisingly, that they're using the whole "where there's smoke, there's fire" mentality, except my specific suspicion is that they're using it the wrong way, also because of peer pressure and/or media pressure.

And besides: nowadays, what with all the modern technology at our disposal, a lot of smoke is fake, because it can easily be generated without any kind of actual fire being in the vicinity...

As for the whole retail-building thing: not really interested in or up to date with that, but I do know that there's a MASSIVE difference between American builds and European. Especially, or probably primarily in the commercial/private sector. What we often see over here, is that a lot of your houses are still built largely out of wood, with just some stone strips applied to give it a solid look, where over here REAL brick and mortar, often dual-walled (for insulation) is used.

And if it's more modern or high-rise, then it's all rebar mesh reinforced concrete, so few if any currently built houses would suffer massive damage or need a lot of protection when in a storm. Accidents do still happen, but the worst I've seen is parts of the roof flying off of buildings, but nothing even remotely close as what we see in the States, where houses are completely destroyed. Even over there, a rebar mesh reinforced concrete house should at least have its walls still standing after a tornado.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

HobbitGamer

@Link-Hero Mine typically consist of giving a long, overly detailed explanation or reason for something, before stopping halfway and just trailing off.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

bimmy-lee

@NintendoByNature - Yeah, you have to keep it simple and good natured when it comes to tricking grandmas. I’d say it’s natural for your grandma to show a little preference towards your kids since you go out of your way to see her, check in, and foster the relationship. It’s not easy to find time. My kids just have one great grandparent left, and I wish they could spend more time with her.

@HobbitGamer - Sweet! Even though it was a big inconvenience, at least you could get it fixed easily and cheaply/free. In my service experience, I’ve seen people drop them. In a retail setting, I could just get it exchanged with the supplier as defective and install a new one. Glad your pony is running again. I had a dead battery a couple weeks ago. Messed up my entire morning.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Eel

Omg I found out you can actually pair the 8bitdo lite to an iPad via the accessibility settings menu.

And it works perfectly! It’s officially my favorite controller now.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

HobbitGamer

@bimmy-lee I spoke too soon. Shut off 3 times near the tail end of my drive home from work. Still loads better than yesterday, but also had some missing after the first shut off. Taking it to shop tomorrow. It’s something with the air fuel mix I’m sure, and at this point my handy man skills are tapped. Time for the pros.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

bimmy-lee

@HobbitGamer - Horrible, good luck dude. Hope it’s something small. Maybe the replacement to the replacement IAC was one I once returned after someone dropped it on the floor.

limby-bee was a jerk.

Vinny

Elite Beat Agents 2 when?

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

HobbitGamer

@bimmy-lee Haha, yeah maybe. I’m not to fussed over it in the grand scheme. Probably a camshaft sensor or something cheap yet significant. I’ve got transpo sorted tomorrow and Friday so they can take their time.

@Vinny I’d love another EBA. That finale on Elite was nuts!!

#MudStrongs

HobbitGamer

Don’t forget the excessive celebrations in the end zone.

#MudStrongs

bimmy-lee

I just paid over 299.99 pieces of eight and Bayou Billy isn’t here.

limby-bee was a jerk.

HobbitGamer

What a joke. I thought it has all the Billy!

#MudStrongs

bimmy-lee

And no light gun either! I’m not using the controller to move a cursor around those light gun levels. It’s barbaric. Clearly, Billies is out of the Switch loop.

limby-bee was a jerk.

NotTelevision

Haha. I forgot about Bayou Billy. I heard there were light gun levels but I don’t think I ever got past the first level.

Edited on by NotTelevision

NotTelevision

NotTelevision

That FIFA 2020 article looks like it’s bringing out the best in everyone. Not sure what I expected though 🥴

Edited on by NotTelevision

NotTelevision

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Bah, yet again I typed a reply I thought I sent yesterday, and it's nowhere to be found! Ah well, I'll have to retype that when I get a chance.

@bimmy-lee Aww, I loved Bayou Billy! I don't know why, it was terrible, but for some reason I loved it! Good memories!

@NotTelevision LOL, soccer/football, EA, political correctness, and Nazis. You really should have ordered your popcorn before clicking the link.

NEStalgia

bimmy-lee

@NotTelevision @NEStalgia - Ha, yeah, Bayou Billy was one of those fun, crap games that lots of people had. Probably because it actually did use the light gun in a couple levels. I had the OG NES bundle, pre light gun, but my cousin had the game and the gun. I still have flashbacks to those awful, underwater swamp gators in the first level that gave you a millisecond to react before they took a huge chunk of health.

limby-bee was a jerk.

ThanosReXXX

@NotTelevision It certainly is. I've also noticed comments already removed and/or completely changed. And I learned something new today: as an old(er) guy, I've never really heard about "parody accounts" before, which apparently basically exist to mock and annoy any and all things and people. This particular "Patron" individual has already been at it for some time now. You'd think the mods would have noticed already.

@NEStalgia Ah, that sucks. Then again: I'm perfectly fine with smaller messages, you know?
Not really relishing the thought of having to wade through a text wall, but if you do, please mind the spacing. Makes it SO much easier/more relaxing to read...

I still don't know what browser you're using, though. Because otherwise, I might have already given you the solution for your lost comment problem, a couple of pages back...

On a side note, I do have to add some context to the whole Fifa 20 article discussion thing, though: I always find it funny how other countries discuss and/or comment on things not happening in their own country, not knowing how the local population feels or thinks about it. For example: my grandfather on my mother's side (full Dutch) was captured during the war, and had to work in a Dutch bicycle factory/repair shop that the Nazis had commandeered. Luckily, he came out in one piece, and he was also never reluctant to talk about it.

Now, even he, with his back story, made Nazi jokes, and all of us always laughed about them. Sure, this particular comment was in bad taste (even besides the Nazi thing, it simply wasn't even a joke or funny because he was ridiculing/belittling/criticizing a commentator's foreign language skills), but it was said outside of the interview, practically off-camera, so if by chance, the microphone wouldn't still have been switched on, then none of us would have even been aware of it.

Not that this negates what he did, but now everybody's falling over each other to be the first to comment on how bad and awful "this guy" is (because apparently half of the commenters don't even seem to know that Marco van Basten is a world famous football/soccer player), which is blowing it far more out of proportion than it has any right to be.

But yeah, that's the internet for you. It kinda ties in, partially, with our previous discussion, even though in this case, he actually DID say what people are accusing him of. And his timing was also atrociously bad, because in football/soccer right now, there's a recently started anti-racist campaign going on...

But still, far as I'm concerned, what he said is still not enough to convict/damn him for the rest of his life. He already apologized multiple times, and explained the how and why of it.

Another thing that ties into it all (and we all know there's no such thing as coincidence) is the episode of the Graham Norton show that I watched today. In it, British writer/comedian/actor David Mitchell quite eloquently and expertly dissects online behavior and social media in his new book. I immediately thought of you and several others on here, so I simply HAD to share it with you:

Skip to the 30m30s mark and enjoy. I'm pretty sure you'll agree with any and all things he has to say, but be sure to let me know whatever you think.

EDIT:

Around the 16m56s mark there's another "nail on the head" bit, specifically concerning Twitter. It starts with the Clinton's, but then the discussion is taken over by Jamie Oliver and David Mitchell, and there is SO much truth in both bits I picked out of this episode.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX The trouble with the nature of the views of the modern "PC crowd" is that it's so extreme, I can't ever tell for sure if an account is a parody or dead serious. The real people are so absurd, absolute, and extreme, parody is really indistinguishable from the real thing. For it to work, parody has to be so extreme so as to seem absurd. That's not possible with the crowd involved....... That Patreon individual I've assumed for a long time was a parody account....it just smacked of it just enough...but I could never be certain it wasn't honestly a true nutjob

This time I think my lost text was a matter of hitting Post, changing tabs, NL probably hiccuped as it's prone to do and I ended up closing the browser without realizing it. And you don't seriously think I'd use Chrome, do you?

"was captured during the war, and had to work in a Dutch bicycle factory/repair shop that the Nazis had commandeered."

The kids today just call it "employment opportunities at an Amazon fulfillment center."

To be fair to the "controversy" it's the media (like NL) stoking it by flying headlines like the one here, effectively presenting "here's a bad person, please shame him." He's suspended for, what, a month and donating his pay? I suppose that's an appropriate slap on the wrist for a multi-millionaire who, more than anything, inappropriately misrepresented the company's brand image more than life damaging. Sure, EA banned him, but isn't getting banned by EA about as much punishment as getting banned from Chi-Chis? Fortunately, the internet is overreacting, EA is overreacting. The actual league just gave him a wrist slap.

Sadly, your video apparently is blocked here "Contains content from LDS who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds." I'll have to take your word for it, but it sounds interesting!

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia So, Firefox it is then, huh?

You can try these add-ons, to get access to age, country or region-restricted videos:

Trust me, do it, I'm all but sure that you'll enjoy the video fragments I pointed out.
(otherwise, I'd have to type out the transcripts... )

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic