Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 34,981 to 35,000 of 44,928

TheFrenchiestFry

@ThanosReXXX I feel it's completely unfair to compare a film like this to an MCU film

This film seems so unlike other mainstream comic book films that it could honestly pass itself off as a standalone drama/period piece without any of the Batman references.

Like Gotham City in this film is basically just a stand in for 80s era New York City where the law was practically unhinged and people could get away with being a-holes with minimal detection

The Waynes are in the film, and Thomas in particular has a pretty sizeable role in the movie, but they literally just symbolize the wealth disparity between certain working classes in a more fractured society, so they could've been anyone at that point

It works so well as a standalone film that detaches itself from the need to set up any sequels or constantly reference the fact that its a DC Comics film, that the fact that it happens to be based on DC's most iconic villain is just second nature.

I feel as if we've gotten so used to the need for comic book movies to set up entire universes and future characters that Joker came in to remind us that we can just have good films as well, that serve a purpose as simply an artful expression with characters you know as vehicles to tell a story.

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-7235-4572-5129 | My Nintendo: French Fry

BruceCM

Maybe if Heath Ledger hadn't died, @ThanosReXXX .... ? Leto could probably have been much better if they didn't cut his best lines & otherwise mess around with that film I'm looking forward to seeing this new Joker, sometime!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

ThanosReXXX

@BlueBlur101 No no no, you misunderstood me. I wasn't comparing this single movie to what Marvel is doing:
I was comparing the entirety of what DC is doing to what Marvel is doing, and in THAT respect, they simply, and rather massively, fail to bring and hold up any kind of continuity.

As it stands, Christian Bale is still the best Batman to me, all the rest come second.

But rest assured, I'm pretty certain that I'll enjoy this movie, regardless of my personal sentiments on the DCEU as a whole.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

Michael Keaton remains the only Batman i recognize. I still think of the Val Kilmer travesty as new fangled new thing I refuse to accept.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@BruceCM Leto was never a good choice to begin with. He has some qualities, and made some pretty good movies, but The Joker he most definitely ain't. Way too much over-acting. Ledger had just the right amount of "reminds me of Nicholson" along with a very large part of method acting and his own twist on it, which was absolutely brilliant. And not just in retrospect because he happens to be dead.

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

TheFrenchiestFry

@ThanosReXXX This film isn't even connected at all to the DCEU which is the thing

The film is purposely set in the 1980s to make that distinction. This Joker is not going to crossover into meeting Robert Pattinson Batman

DC seems to have realized how badly their approach to a cinematic universe was doing that they've begun to deemphasize the shared aspect a lot if you've seen films like Wonder Woman, which takes place so far back in the timeline that it can't reference a thing about BvS or JL, so it gives the director more creative freedom which I like.

I still think my personal favorite Batman overall is Kevin Conroy but that's just me. I grew up on watching The Animated Series, Batman Beyond and especially Mask of the Phantasm, the DVD Animated films and playing the Arkham games so his voice is pretty much etched in my memory whenever I think of what a media portrayal of Batman could be.

TheFrenchiestFry

Eel

Onto something completely different, my mom bought a rice cooker and I’m low key excited about it because we are completely incompetent when it comes to cooking rice.

I’m doing the first test run right now and it seems relatively simple to set up. Fingers crossed!

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Keaton was definitely good, especially for that time period, and also as a kind of a transitional Batman, as happened in the comics, from the 60's and 70's almost caricatural Gothic style to the darker and grittier Dark Knight story arcs, starting from the late 80's to now. Keaton is also a great actor in general, but besides that stage presence, he obviously never really had the physic to tick all of the boxes of what Batman/Bruce Wayne is supposed to be. And seeing as the movies were done by Tim Burton, he definitely influenced their appearance, making them both transitional and generously campy.

But I enjoyed them nonetheless, and they're a nice memory to revisit every now and then.

ThanosReXXX

@StableInvadeel Cooking rice 101:

Fill a pan with 1/3 part of water.
Put pan on fire, making the water boil.
Add a sprinkle of salt.
Add a small coffee cup of rice per person.
Boil on medium fire for about 8 minutes.
Turn fire/stove off.
Drain rice in a sif afterwards, to get rid of the water.
Put rice back in pan, put the lid back on it, and preferably a cloth or oven mittens on top.
Allow to steam in pan for about 4 minutes.

Presto! Perfectly cooked rice, consisting of nice and loose grains.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Eel

It came out a bit clumpy, but it didn’t stick to the pot, which is a huge improvement already.

It’s a learning process.

Bloop.

My dead channel.

ThanosReXXX

@BlueBlur101 Good choice of Batman. For the animated series, I definitely agree. But obviously, he doesn't have the face or the physique, to star in the life action movies. But if they would use him, then they would DEFINITELY have to use Mark Hamill as The Joker...

As for the DCEU: I've no idea what their exact plans are, but it's pretty clear that they've not entirely abandoned the over-arching story line, what with more Justice League coming up, as well as standalone movies of the characters of that team, so in that respect, they're still trying to follow suit along the Marvel routine.

On a side note: it would seem to me that you missed me saying that I'm actually NOT criticizing this specific movie for not being part of or canon to the DCEU, so I'm perfectly fine with that. To further explain: it just annoys the hell out of me that they weren't able to hold on to either Ben Affleck or Henry Cavill.

It's going to be extremely weird and immersion-breaking to see Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Cyborg alongside a completely different Batman and Superman, regardless of how good and/or convincing these actor's performances might be. And God knows which actor is going to become the new Flash, if the rumors of that actor also being replaced are true. For all intent and purposes, they might just as well start from scratch and pretend that first JLA movie never happened...

Those are the things that annoy me, NOT the Joker movie. You bringing that up in the first place just reminded me of how much DC has done wrong, compared to Marvel. And they too were far from perfect, but at least they've found a formula that not only works, but which is also highly successful.

ThanosReXXX

@StableInvadeel The trick is in the steaming. Once you've drained the water, the rice is still soggy, so allowing it to steam in a closed pan with a cloth over the top, will allow the rice to absorb that moisture, and the heat will dry the outside of the rice grains.

The same method actually also works for perfectly cooked potatoes, except these take around 20 - 25 minutes to cook...

Zuljaras

@NEStalgia @ThanosReXXX The only 2 Batmans that I did not like in the movies were George Clooney and Ben Affleck.
I have no idea how Robert will perform but I can't get that image of a depressed-emo-sparkling-vampire out of my mind.

Zuljaras

Eel

This is an electric cooker, so I followed the included directions.

The rice is cooling off right now. So the texture may be a bit different once we serve it.

Bloop.

My dead channel.

TheFrenchiestFry

@ThanosReXXX I wasn't criticizing
In fact I didn't even think you were implying critique to begin with
I also don't think Henry Cavill is done for the time being but it seems DC is just willing to let him sit on the sidelines after he showed up to set one day with his moustache fresh off of the Mission Impossible set

I do feel bad for Affleck because he could've accomplished so much as a good on-screen Batman had he been given the right material and a script that wasn't written by someone who clearly doesn't understand the character and his moral code whatsoever. In fact I was excited when it was announced he would direct the standalone film himself as he has pumped out really good directorial efforts before like Fargo, but I do wish him the best and Matt Reeves isn't a bad choice either as I really like the Planet of the Apes reboot films, especially Dawn and War, which were the ones he directed.

TheFrenchiestFry

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras Haha, yeah... there's that, indeed. I'd say just watch some of his other movies. He's actually a pretty good actor, from what I've seen so far, if you ignore the Twilight saga.

@StableInvadeel I know, you specifically mentioned it. In that case, just cook the rice, drain it and then drop it into another pan to let it steam for a bit. Or, if there's actually a built-in sif/drain, let it steam in the electric cooker. With the cooker switched off, obviously...

Eel

It has a mode after it’s done cooking where it’s just kinda warm so that’s nice.

Anyway, isn’t rice supposed to completely absorb the water? There’s nothing left to drain.

Bloop.

My dead channel.

BruceCM

I managed to miss all the Twilight films. ... So, prepared to see how he does!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

bimmy-lee

From the previews only, I really like the look of Phoenix’s Joker. I think it lightly tickles my Caesar Romero nostalgia in that department. I like his face paint. It’s reminiscent of carnival clowns from mid last century.

The only thing that slightly annoys me, and this is the second time this has happened, the first time with Ledger, is that I’ve heard a lot of talk about how some people have retroactively decided Nicholson’s Joker wasn’t demented enough and he played it “straight”. That’s really not true, he was a revelation at the time. I think of his gas balloons, joy buzzer, feather to the throat, comically huge gun, and him dancing with Vicki Vale in the bell tower as gleefully psychotic.

There’s only been one bad Joker in my opinion, and I knew it would be bad the moment I found out it would be Leto. Much like I knew this Joker would be well done played by Phoenix.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

NEStalgia

@bimmy-lee I'm not sure how Nicholson could ever be accused of not playing any character demented enough. He wrote the book on demented. He's the acting lesson...
There's no greater master at over the top demented, and certainly in my mind the archetype all jokers are based on. Thats like saying a Kojima game isn't weird enough.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic