Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 32,841 to 32,860 of 34,253

ThanosReXXX

@BougieBeetle For a new member, you've certainly had some impact already...

But all kidding aside, I do agree with you that absolute objectivity is impossible, but it IS possible to always keep an open mind, look at options and also to listen to others without digging your heels into the sand and only seeing your own view as the only correct one, because someone else's might actually make more sense, if you stop to take the time and truly consider it for a moment.

Kind of like how it is with principles: in general, it's always good to have them, and to stick with them, but as soon as your principles start to work against you, then maybe it's time to reconsider.

I'm also kind of curious about the how and why of you being perfectly willing to comment on the things we were discussing, but once we replied back to you, you slap us with a "but I don't want to get into it any further".

Maybe some of what we said came across as harsh, negative and/or angry, but I assure you, that none of that was my intent, nor was it @NEStalgia's, far as I know him. We agree/disagree on and off, but we're still on speaking terms, because we know that at the end of the day, it's just opinions, personal sentiments and views, and we don't have to agree with each other ALL the time, to still be able to communicate about and/or discuss other things.

So, as long as you don't go into politics, which isn't allowed on here, you should feel free to discuss the somewhat more heavier topics with any of us. But if you don't want to, then that's also perfectly fine, but then I do come back to the original thing I wondered about: if you don't want to discuss it, then why open the discussion by replying to us? No offense, but I'd say that if you do that, then you can expect people to reply, and then you should also be a good sport and actually reply to what they're saying, instead of saying that you don't want to get into it any further.

It's pretty much like making people curious about a story, and then ultimately not giving away the clue/punch line of it...

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Oh I thrive on monotony....I tend to like to find a formula that works for something and repeat it consistently indefinitely. I may rotate to a few "phases" through the year as a cycle...for variety.... and I'll experiment to find the right groove, and then stick with it.

Well the centenarians are in the mountains and such (ooh but some seem to think dense overcrowding is a good thing ) but the average lifespan in Japan was the longest for a long time. That says something about their dense cities versus other cities in the world. As for Spain, I just generally wouldn't look to Western Europe or the US for longest lifespans in general both due to historical lifespans, way of life, etc. Though it's not entirely surprising since Italy was usually #2 behind Japan for a long time...Italy's always a bit of a special case, particularly environmentally due to location and local diet (which, often, bears a lot of similarity to Japanese cuisine in makeup, if not taste profile.) The prominence of mollusk and fish being part of that.

In the US, yeah, cane sugar is certainly heavily used. Two things have happened. People, particularly in the south got used to overwsweetened everything due to the abundance of cane sugar there cheaply for a long time. Then, sugar became expensive compared to corn syrup so manufactured food started using it exclusively. THEN everyone got used to the taste of corn syrup and it's extreme sweetness, to the point they like it more than cane sugar now..... and yeah, that stuff is nasty ....generally I can't stand it (except in some cases where it's necessary - pecan pie for example, can't be made without it.) I tend to only drink sodas that have real sugar when I do have sodas, though I mostly do water. The other thing in the US diet is "diet" everything. AKA chemical sugar....EVERYBODY eats that nasty diet stuff. To me it tastes like rat poison. Or at least like I imagine rat poison tasting. Then again, rat poison is flouride...which they put in our water.....

RE the migration/immigration/refugee topic and as well as "wanting to help people less fortunate vs them becoming a burden" issue - it really all comes back to the overpopulation issue rather than regional politics. Always has. No overpopulation, no migration issues with the exception of actual warfare/coups/natural disasters creating localized, short term, mayhem requiring external (usually temporary) help. Which was the historical problem in that particular region as well. Population pressure has always been the most acute problem in oldest inhabited part of the world. And the history of tremendous empires that rose and fell in that area tell the same story of the situation for a lot longer than Europe has even been populated. The modern civilization there is "young" (and is still ancient!) compared to the former civilizations there that collapsed under the weight of overpopulation. If it weren't an insufferable crowding of humans, people wouldn't want to leave their way of life and environment behind in substantial numbers. Migrating for "opportunity", the most common stated reason, is a round-about way of saying "leaving due to lack of opportunity and undesirable living conditions as a result of overpopulation." The problem is, without an accompanying reduction in populations or birth rate, it ultimately simply expands the problem rather than resolving it. Viewing the modern current events political aspects of it is a waste of time, because it intentionally looks past the real situation and the long, long, many times repeating history over thousands of years, or more, of the same cycle. A crowded population that is continuing to grow needs expansion to relieve population pressure. No way around it. (Which all comes back to my origional point - the regional situations are just acute points, the whole human race is affected by the same condition in different locations at different times, like pressure on tectonic plates. But of course, unless an event cuts down numbers....the numbers keep growing, and the problem keeps worsening. And expansion only draws other populations into the problem as well and/or results in conflict until a natural or artificial event reduces the pressure. Going back to my initial point of inevitable population reduction, by some means, natural or artificial. And highlighting it's not the first, or even the second time through that cycle.

And to be sure, I understand the sentimentality of being torn between helping etc. My view isn't necessarily a sociopathic one...I'm just looking, from a safe distance, at the cold calculus of it all. If it weren't people it would be an easy solution. Discard the excess, in the most accumulated deposits, and restore a balanced system. Not viewing it as humans makes resolution simple and efficient. But since it's actually humans, it takes a socipath to put the cold calculus of it into action via artificial means. Then there's the debate: Do we actually need such sociopaths to do what's necessary but empathy prevents us from actually accepting and doing? If the mid 20th century didn't have its Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot.... what would population look like now, what condition would life be in, and would it have ended in worse cataclysm by now? I.E. could they have actually made things better, for a time, just as they intended, even if it's unpleasant to admit it? And even if so what would we do with that understanding going forward? All ugly questions.

NEStalgia

RedderRugfish

achi3374 wrote:

** SEE THIS on you tube !!! You will Shock
Here >>>> nope

I are shock

Edited on by RedderRugfish

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

NEStalgia

And #32,845 gives us yet one more reason to begin reducing population, one by one, right now.....

NEStalgia

bimmy-lee

Not gonna click, but only because I’ve seen Shockmaster fall through the wall dozens of times now. Besides, Titus World Slide is easily the new champ when it comes to large men falling down. Probably the funniest thing that’s ever happened to a human.

Edited on by bimmy-lee

bimmy-lee

My Nintendo: RedNestor

RedderRugfish

@NEStalgia Between him, the 10 year old girl not knowing what an SD card is, and the guy who constantly spams every thread about mini consoles, you could say we've got a few interesting users.

And now that the spammer's comment has been deleted and now I'm post #32845, it seems your post has taken on a different meaning

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

HobbitGamer

This page makes me want to be asleep well before 2am 😛

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NintendoByNature

Well guys and gals I've settled back from vacation. Just briefly going thru the home page, seems like i missed alot. Luigis mansion 3 release date on all Hallows eve, dope! New switch revision, prime day (I ended up stepping away to order crash insane trilogy for only $20. RE trilogy collection for $60 and 1 game on the cart. Anything else happen that I missed in the gaming industry? How about the chit chat thread?

NintendoByNature

Octane

NEStalgia wrote:

And #32,845 gives us yet one more reason to begin reducing population, one by one, right now.....

You're right this time

Octane

HobbitGamer

@NintendoByNature Well, @RedderRugfish ate a live squirrel. I gave the gift of life to a cantaloupe. The Old Ones wrote a lot of stuff. Bimmy lives on a mattress made by Oogie-Boogie. Anti feel sleep. Ryu is training bunnies. Somebody still hates NSO.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Oh, boy... mentioning all those dictators... I'm not touching that. Not even going there.
The European council/NATO shipping all the post-World War 2 victims and putting them smack dab in the middle of several Middle Eastern countries was probably one of their least smart solutions, though. But that's as far as I'll go here...

As for the rest: we're still in agreement on the whole population/migration thing, so no argument there, and I doubly agree with social refugees: make something of life in your own country. We also do/have to, for the most part. War victims or victims of any kind of extremism, though... tough call. Glad I'm not in any government, that's for sure.

NEStalgia wrote:

Correction, #32844 1/2

That sounds decidedly Harry Potter-ish. Congratulations, you've officially achieved the next level of nerdness...

@RedderRugfish Oh, dear. We had another one of those idiots, huh? Spambot or simply dumb user?
I did notice seeing that guy you mentioned, posting all the mini console topics. I thought that I was a positive thinker, but he outclasses me by a land mile, thinking that any potential N64 Mini will have any and all of Rare's games on it. Oh, and a GameCube Mini with at least 30 games...

On second thought, that Rare games on N64 Mini dream might come true, seeing how chummy Nintendo and Microsoft have become of late, but that many games on a GameCube Mini, if it's even ever going to be released in the first place...

I personally think that there might be an N64 Mini in the works, but something tells me that this is actually the last of the Minis that we're ever going to see, so I'm not going to hold my breath for any of them, certainly not for a GameCube Mini or anything newer.

As for calling these newer users interesting: I can come up with a couple more choice and appropriate words, but interesting certainly isn't one of them. There certainly seems to be an upsurge of stupid of late, if you look through the various comments section. Or let me put that a bit more mildly: people with an allergy to actually reading articles before they comment.

Take that GBA Consolizer article for example: dozens if not more people making all kinds of dumb comments about being able to do the same on a clone console or on a Game Boy Player, or even making comments on how this couldn't possibly be better than original hardware, when that's exactly what it is: original hardware, with added components to upgrade the experience. And lag free, no less. But no, let's not actually read the article and rush to the comments section to post our clueless brain fart without actually knowing what we're talking about...

I've been visiting the site a bit less of late, mainly because of that, but I found out that I also hate really dislike having to scroll through more than two pages of Chit-Chat thread (to get up to speed again), so here I am, back again a bit more frequently. Now I know how @Tyranexx feels sometimes...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@HobbitGamer Watch it now, young Padawan...

bimmy-lee

@NintendoByNature - Glad you’re back, I hope your vacation was nice. Hobbit pretty much nailed it. I’d only add that, several days ago, Anti gave us the origin story and associated religion for the Avian Fighter Series (Calendar Project 2020). It’s long, but crammed full of interesting information. I’d recommend finding it when you have some spare time.

bimmy-lee

My Nintendo: RedNestor

NEStalgia

@HobbitGamer You forgot Switch Pro is confirmed, Masuda is a lying sack, and Pokemon SnS is the worst Pokemon ever, and Falcom, a company with one game on a Nintendo console in 20 years, not ported by themselves, and a library of Vita and PSP games is distancing themselves from Switch because it's inferior hardware. Now we've got everything.

@ThanosReXXX Well, that part veers into politics so, I'll toss the hot potato there (my mention was a historical perspective on population alteration in general, and the possibility of the necessity of the role of such movements in controlling population growth more than the specificalities of their eras. I just used that period of time and the total sum of those movements and their combined effect on population condition of life as the guidepost. (Why were the 1950's a golden age in the US and Europe? Low population following the war(s), and the economic boon of the labor to rebuild.) The specifics aside, my question is still one worth contemplating. What condition would things be in without the massive population reductions those individuals and their movements induced, and is the net effect better (for those that remained) than had it not happened. Knee-jerk reaction is to react to the horror of the process and reject it...my point is if you examine it more coldly in terms of the resulting effect, could we arrive at the conclusion it was a net improvement, ignoring for a moment the horror if the era itself. If you want something "less horrific" to compare my line of thinking with - think of the stories of people trapped in the snow in the woods pinned under a rock and the only solution was to cut their own limb off with a pocket knife, otherwise they die in the snow - an unthinkable nightmare at the time, but with a net positive result versus the alternative of not doing it.) That's more what I was getting at.

That said, since you mentioned it...yes, I agree with you about the colossal stupidity of that specific decision, and that specific location. Forcibly displacing one group to accommodate another displaced group, let alone diametrically opposed groups displacing each other, has less conceivable noble goal than that of the dictators that may well have tried to (and potentially succeeded in) improve human existence overall by ending existence for many. The double displacement just makes everyone miserable all at once and both sides would surely be in a better condition today had a different solution been chosen.

Potter: Yeah that was slightly intentional believe it or not I had .5 at first and decided to change it

Stupid users: Pokemon. Discuss among yourselves.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, if we would seriously have to contemplate mass-genocide as a solution to global overpopulation, then I honestly think I'll pass... That's not even worth mentioning, much less contemplating. But I'm probably not able to disconnect the horrors of those events from the cold, hard number side of things, as you so eloquently put it earlier.

Oh, and mentioning "less horrific" and people cutting/sawing off their own limbs in one and the same sentence isn't really helping to improve that image either...

Nestalgia wrote:

Stupid users: Pokemon. Discuss among yourselves.

Are you kidding? Discussing Pokémon, especially the upcoming game, pretty much equates to "the floor is lava" for me. Something to avoid like the plague...

HobbitGamer

Hay wouldn’t it be would neat if there were an NES Mini Mini and it could have 2 games?

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

ThanosReXXX

@Morpheel As if this one wasn't mini enough already...
Untitled

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic