Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 32,861 to 32,880 of 96,305

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Kotaku exists solely to forge new pots to stir. It drifts from hot button issue to hot button issue and bolts gaming onto it.

Would one expect anything else from the Gawker family? The entire thing exists as a trashy tabloid, mostly stoking hot button issues for clicks.

NEStalgia

bimmy-lee

@RedderRugfish - I don’t know, it wasn’t a one and done comment. It was at least a big side conversation under the biggest piece of journalism NL has put out since the FE review (written by a tenured writer) before Ant chimed in. I personally think it had to be done, but I acknowledge that ignoring it would be have also been a feasible option. I understand what you and others are saying, but it’s not the way I would have handled it.

@NEStalgia - The final form was an English degree. I’ve already flushed it. It cost me an extra year to make the switch, but I read some reeeeeally good literature.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Tyranexx

On the journalistic integrity: I agree with most of the opinions in this thread on that. I also like how the site's staff are more willing to interact with normal users in the comments and otherwise. That said, I do agree that they probably went a bit far by catering to the troll. On the other hand, I totally understand the instinct to defend one's work.

I don't use Kotaku for game news - I probably only visit the site once a week on average - but they occasionally have a decent nostalgic piece that interests me. There have been some articles where I think they're making controversy out of almost nothing, but they're by far not the only source out there who does that.

@ThanosReXXX Sounds like my kind of setting! It's been a bit since I've watched a decent horror flick. Plus, I'm a sucker for Victorian settings. Thanks for the recommendation!

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

ThanosReXXX

@gcunit No argument there, which is also why I explicitly said: "Ant and Damo were well within their rights to defend their points and article, even though I do on the other hand feel that they maybe should not have let it get the better of them."

Basically, it all turned sour within the space of four back and forth comments, and everything that followed after that only made things worse, especially when other members started to gang up on the culprit. Oh, well. It's all water under the bridge now, and I'm glad that I was able to restrain myself from joining in the fray.

@Ryu_Niiyama I'll forgive you for the (far as I'm concerned non-existent) derail, but I'll happily take an apology for not spacing out your comment, making it one, dense text wall, which is far less easy on the eyes and less enjoyable to read than when it would have been divided in bite-sized sections/paragraphs...

(ah, damn. @NEStalgia beat me to it... )

But an interesting post nonetheless, and I fully agree with it as well. Good luck getting @NEStalgia on board with that, though. Iwata-hater...

@RedderRugfish But was he really polite, though? Or was he expertly trolling, like for example @NEStalgia suspected? He certainly did some weird flip-flopping across the entire thread, so I'm probably gonna have to go with needless insulting and then pseudo-backpedaling. And the timing of the initial comment was indeed very suspicious, to say the least. And when called out on that, all he could say was "I'm a fast reader".

The staff should have perhaps reacted a bit more tactful and maybe even a bit more adult, but the sentiment was certainly understandable, and whatever else he was, that guy sure acted like a tool, far as I'm concerned.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@Tyranexx You're welcome. Let me know your verdict, once you've had a chance to watch it.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

HobbitGamer

@Tyranexx Also watch A Cure for Wellness. It has Shutter Island pacing.

Also, I got a $600 bonus for stepping in to do all this agency reporting.

That’s all for now, back to the coffee pot.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Eel

Talking about coffee, I've continued my coffee experiments, I've been adding dash of cinnamon powder or a bit of honey to the milk while I froth it. So it comes out tasting pretty nice.

Also I bought a light bulb that has a bluetooth speaker on it, it's like my room has background music!

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Heavyarms55

I have to agree that I also don't like Kotaku. I used to follow them back when I still was in the cesspool that we call social media and even before I finally bailed on Facebook and Twitter entirely, I had stopped following Kotaku about a year prior. I found many of their articles extremely biased, a lot of the writers and comments to be condescending too. I was also not fond of the way they treated a lot of Japanese culture and media. It quickly became clear that it was mostly second or third hand info, or worse.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

bimmy-lee

@HobbitGamer - Nice bonus, well done. That should cover your Switch expenses in September, unless you need caffeine rehab after this of course.

limby-bee was a jerk.

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Tyranexx

@Heavyarms55 Social media a cesspool? Why, I have no idea why anyone would think that! No toxicity at all. Everyone is totally tolerable of other opinions and can discuss it in a rational manner. Everyone also completely waits for all sides of a story before passing judgement. /S x 100

The only reason I still bother with Facebook, other than as the only way to keep in contact with some people and talk with my mom should she be at home (Usually no cell reception at my parents' house until you walk to the end of the 100 ft driveway), is because a couple of groups I'm in use it as their communication and event tool. One made the jump to Discord, but the long-established messaging channel still has some stubborn users and is borderline essential to have.

The other is LinkedIn, which I wouldn't have even bothered with had I not been searching for a new job on and off until a few months ago.

I don't bother with anything else. People have tried to get me to join things like Twitter and Snapchat, but I'm not interested.

@ThanosReXXX Will do!

@HobbitGamer I'll look into that one as well. Thanks!

Glad that you're getting some compensation for all your trouble.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

HobbitGamer

@Tyranexx and check out Dream House. It’s a good slow burn build.
@bimmy-lee Thanks y’all. It’s honestly been a nightmare. I took over the project from a behavioral health director and the IT director.
But somehow a summary line of data got skewed. I’m hoping to fix it tomorrow quickly. Then I apparently have to help the crisis stabilization unit with their measurements as well.

I may treat myself to Astral. If I have a brain left.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Heavyarms55

@Tyranexx Trust me, nothing I haven't heard before. I still have a Facebook account, but only to use the messenger app. I never visit the feed or website anymore. The closest thing to social media I still use is this website and YouTube. And when I'm feeling stupid, I read the comments on news articles and remember why I lost my faith in humanity.

Eel

So apparently you can control YouTube on the switch completely with a usb keyboard. No need for anything else.

That’s cool.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Tyranexx

@Heavyarms55 News articles in general, or merely the articles here? All of the above make me wonder about humanity a lot of the time. It's something I try to avoid doing more and more. I think the temptation comes from trying to find any rational discussion. I'm usually disappointed. Even the most innocent things seem to draw negative commentary these days.

I wouldn't say I've completely lost my hope in humanity. There's occasionally a positive spark of something every now and again.

Heavyarms55

@Tyranexx Naw even the most toxic comments on here pale in comparison to anything in on a "real world" news page. I read an article the other day about homelessness issues in California and there were dozens of comments with hundreds of "thumb ups" and none of them had any sympathy or suggestions for solutions of helping the homeless. Just aggression, judgement, hatred and ignorance - almost nothing backed by facts or data. It put me in a bad spot. That much negativity actually hurts me, I don't think I have actual issues with depression or "getting triggered" or whatever but I don't know how else to describe it. It took almost the rest of the day before I could stop feeling angry and negative toward everything. It actually made me feel physically ill.

Just one example. But I always go a while without reading and either forget or assume I over reacted last time and make the same mistakes again. I don't like ignoring the news even though sometimes following it messes me up, badly.

Tyranexx

@Heavyarms55 Agreed on news blackout vs. trying to stay informed. I likewise get irritated and wonder why I bother to begin with. On one hand, I like being informed and knowing what's going on in the world. On the other, all the negativity does nothing to help my mood...particularly on days that were already quite crappy. That negativity, unfortunately, is often what earns clicks and turns heads.

I get nearly all my news online since I don't have TV. Unfortunately, sometimes my feed pulls in opinion pieces that for some reason seem to pass as news, or start as news but clearly have a very biased slant woven in. These often are in certain echo chambers, so heaven forbid if your opinion deviates ever so slightly from them in the comments.

Heavyarms55

@Tyranexx Thing is, it's often not the news itself that gets to me. I expect politicians to be self serving human garbage and pathological liars as much as I expect the sun to rise tomorrow. I can even handle it when there is news of some atrocity committed by the monster of the week or a natural disaster ruining a city. Yeah it's bad news but it doesn't get to me as much as when I see people talking about it and see a total lack of empathy. See people mocking or laughing at the victims or defending the monsters and liars. People laughing and saying the natural disasters are punishment for whatever popular thing in said city is that they don't agree with. Seeing comments with hundreds of thumbs up saying things like "we shouldn't help them because they they voted for so and so" or "serves them right because they do this 'immoral' act that my religion says is bad" etc etc.

I can even sympathize with news agencies focusing on bad news to get the clicks and ad revenue - because let's face it, no one checks the news when the headline is "Nice day in Shinjuku today, things are calm and peaceful, moderate traffic." or "Today in Birmingham had remarkably few traffic accidents, experts suggest drivers are becoming more cautious" It's when I read the bad news and it looks like there aren't a couple of monsters as the extreme outliers - but thousands, perhaps millions of people who relish in each other's misery. Obviously it's a small sample size - I know that - but I don't feel it after reading this sort of thing.

Edited on by Heavyarms55

DenDen

Facebook is toxic I have it but never use it.
I preffer twitter, that can be toxic as well

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

Heavyarms55

Social media is toxic. Blanket statement. The flavor changes and the degree varies but the problem is not limited to any one site or app.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic