Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 32,821 to 32,840 of 34,083

bimmy-lee

Years ago, I had an ‘01 Camry with 380k+ miles. I bought it high mileage in a private sale and drove it for almost four years before it got smashed up. The insurance company gave me more for the total than I paid for it. Can’t go wrong with a Toyota. Tacomas especially. I’m a Honda/Acura person personally, but Toyota is my backup.

bimmy-lee

My Nintendo: RedNestor

Tyranexx

@Ryu_Niiyama Not a bad consolation! The only noticeable ding on my car currently, barring a few door marks (you'd think people would be more careful.... 🙄), is that my front license plate is slightly bent from where someone's vehicle apparently nudged my car. I'm not entirely sure when it happened since it was a couple of days before I noticed it.

@Heavyarms55 As claustrophobic with people as I am, I'd love more public transportation options in the rural US. Sure, I have access to Amtrak not too far away, but it's not exactly high-speed rail.

Video Corner: How SM3DW Actually Started (language)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest IV (DS), SteamWorld Heist (Wii U)

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

HobbitGamer

@bimmy-lee Yah, I like the smaller Tacoma models.
I had a mid 90s Celica All-Trac once. That was fun. Swapped it at the track for a 99 Eclipse GT-S

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Heavyarms55

@Tyranexx The super crowded trains in Japan that you likely have seen on TV are the extreme, not the norm. Even in Tokyo itself, one of the most populated cities in the world, it only really gets that bad during rush hours in holiday seasons. It would be more annoying if I had to commute by train every day - because that would always be during the commute rush hours, but outside of that I've been the only one in the train car before. Let me tell you, that's spooky! Especially at night!

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me

StableInvadeel

Every time I try to go and complete Lego Jurassic World on the Xbox I just kinda end up switching to Netflix to watch whichever movie I'm currently at again.

... Sometimes I even end up stuck reading a wiki.

Edited on by StableInvadeel

Romani Ranch enthusiast.

Eh! My gameplay videos

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Heavyarms55

@Morpheel That was me in college. I'd be trying to study for the exam of the week or whatever and I'd end up reading random wiki articles until 3 in the morning.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me

StableInvadeel

They’re like quicksand. Before you know it, you have over 20 tabs open.

Edit: I think I just saw someone like their own seconds-old comment on an article. That’s sad... Although I guess that means the like counter updates in real time too.

Romani Ranch enthusiast.

Eh! My gameplay videos

NEStalgia

@Tyranexx " The front bumper and grill were the result of me accidentally hitting a fox on Christmas night almost four years ago. Insurance fielded that one too; I didn't even know what it was except for the color."

Nobody ever follows directions....
Untitled

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Heavyarms55 "Man I love living in Japan. Even in a part of Japan that Japanese people consider super rural, I still don't need a car. "

FFFUUUUUUUUUU!!!! Sheesh, no need to rub it in. Have I mentioned I hate cars? And roads. I mean I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate them. It took a long time to be able to play a racing game without wanting to put my fist through the screen. If there's one thing I despise above all others about the modern industrial world it's cars and roads. They are the thing that guarantees every single day of existence will be a miserable one, and the only function of a day is to attempt to escape the reality that any of that exists at all. Henry Ford ruined everything. And here you are happy as a lark in a place where people are civil by default without dealing with that. You are my new nemesis. My only solace is knowing you'll be forced unwillingly to return to the daily misery of suffering that is life here.

NEStalgia

Octane

@Heavyarms55 I'm so glad public transport is a viable option over here as well. Means I can drink, and I don't have to drive back home. The only ''problem'' is that there are no trains between 2:30am and 5:00am. But that's more of a first-world luxury problem.

Octane

StableInvadeel

The easy solution to every transportation problem: don’t go out, ever! 🤗

Well maybe just make sure your neighbors know you’re still alive. That way they will notice when you’re not!

Romani Ranch enthusiast.

Eh! My gameplay videos

NEStalgia

@Morpheel I like that solution....I did say I want to become a hermit after all! But...then the problem is....no income....so no Switch games.....or food or shelter which is a problem.

NEStalgia

bimmy-lee

Everyone knows if you’re still out at 2:30 am, you’re supposed to take it all the way and just stay out until the trains are running again. No doubt you’ll find something fun to do.

bimmy-lee

Anti-Matter

I have ever still stay awake until more than 2.30 am 😳

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Andrew_R_2000

I have stayed up till 5am before, so there.

Be yourself, no matter who you are!
For me, that's being madly in love with fictional characters. Plz don't judge.
Switch FC: SW-0507-9503-1127 | 3DS FC: 1736-0165-7775 | Battle.net: Luigibrine#1151

bimmy-lee

@Octane - 2:00 seems to be the dividing line. If it’s 2:01 and you’re not at home, you’ve officially gone gonzo. No sense fighting it at that point. Just ride it out.

bimmy-lee

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, I'm not really advertising for the scientifically proven diet, but more for the actual common sense that each and everyone should have, to realize that monotony of any kind is bad for you, whether it's in food, habits, work or whatever. And of course, in the case of food items, not all of them have the same nutritional value, or the same consistency, meaning either low or high fiber and/or low or high carb.

Being a former martial artist and iron pumper, I definitely know for a fact that what you ingest before and even after training absolutely, one hundred percent makes a difference. No man/woman can survive, in any kind of healthy, non-detrimental way, on one single kind of food item. You can survive on water and bread, but that's something entirely different from actually living a healthy life and having a good energy level and built-up resistance to any outside agents.

And yes, smoking IS bad. All that tar has to go somewhere, and those pictures of lungs so black that they could probably donate them to Roadbuilders 'R' Us isn't any kind of weird, government-directed CGI...

As for those long-living people you mentioned: those don't come from the areas you mentioned. They all live either in green or in blue zones. The latter is what they call them in one specific kind of research, and there is also a blue zone in the States. And it actually IS a rather healthy area. Asian people in crowded, smog-filled cities really don't live to become that old, in general. It's all the more rural, mountain areas, where these ancient tea drinkers live...

And what's that about "Spain of all places"? It sounds like you think it's a bad place to live, or that might be bad for your health? If so, then you couldn't be more wrong.

I would agree to a point that certain things are encoded in our DNA, and of course, our cells also have finite timers in them, but that doesn't mean that I have to expedite the process by walking head first into a freight train...

As the wise men from the East say: the body is a temple, so do your best to keep it in shape, inside and out. If you eat rubbish, you'll get rubbish, and all kinds of detrimental effects. But hey, if you want to live out your life on a strict diet of heavily salted Potato Chips, Peeps and Mountain Dew, then by all means, go ahead. Don't expect me to cry on your way too early funeral, though...

And then there's the (far as I know) US-exclusive use of corn syrup based products, which we don't have, or hardly have in Europe. Over here, it's sugar beet or cane sugar. That also makes somewhat of a difference. Although that's mostly of influence to the taste, according to some, while others say that because in corn syrup (which is high in fructose) the glucose and fructose are not chemically bound to each other, it's effects are worse on the body than when they are bound together, as in cane sugar, because it gets absorbed into the body in a more efficient way, and as such also broken down better, in regards to long term effects/fat build-up.

But glad we wholeheartedly agree on half of our respective text walls...
Better not dive too deep into the whole migration/immigration/refugee topic, though. That's a really touchy subject for one thing, and on the other hand, it also ventures rather close to political issues, which for obvious reasons, are not allowed to be discussed on here.

I will say this, though: I agree with your sentiment, but personally, I'm actually always torn between (in general) wanting to help people who are less fortunate than us, and not having them becoming a national (or regional) burden.

And putting them all on one and the same heap also isn't the way to go. There's significant differences between them all, much like there are between you, me and everybody on here. Having said that, I think the best solution to all of the above is moderation: eat your snacks, but not too much, eat meat, but don't over-saturate your diet with it, it's just common sense, basically.

And by all means: if you are willing and able, help people, but don't accept your government to just keep inviting and/or allowing all of them to come to your country, where most of them will maybe be safer than in their own country, but regardless of that will still live in a sometimes prolonged state of uncertainty, regarding the government's ultimate decision to allow them to stay or not.

P.S.

I was gonna say "don't dedicate half of your text wall to BougieBeetle, because he probably isn't going to react anyway", but then he actually did...

'The console wars are like boobs. Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic