Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Book Club

Posts 361 to 380 of 583

Eel

Reminds me a bit of how I felt after playing Bury Me My Love, you might enjoy that game.

In terms of reading, I finished reading the Mile 18th murder novel, and decided to start reading Alan Wake. Its basically one of the first ebooks I bought with my first Kindle… but I simply never read it! Until now. Hopefully it will be less confusing than the game itself… Though I don’t remember a lot of that either.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

XandertheWise

currently re-reading Star Wars Force Heretic II

XandertheWise

jump

Damn, I’ve only read 12 of these. I must read more!

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Rambler

@jump
I've only read 9!
Two Steinbecks on the list? Though there's all the Harry Potter books, so Rowling wins that competition!

I still can't get over how rubbish The Kite Runner was.

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

Tyranexx

Out of that bunch, I've read:

• Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Covered in high school)
  • To Kill A Mockingbird (Also covered in high school, but I loved it so much I now own a copy)
  • Harry Potter series
  • The Lord of the Flies (Also in school)
  • The Lord of the Rings trilogy

I'd like to get to some others on that list, such as The Giver, the Time Quintet (I recall reading A Swiftly Tilting Planet as a kid but didn't realize it was part of a series at the time), and 1984. Maybe some Steinbeck eventually too.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

jump

Thinking about I’ve probably read about 10.7 since I’ve read some but not all of the Harry Potter and Lord Of The Rings books.

Lord Of The Rings being banned seems odd, I can’t think of a reason why it would have been.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

jedgamesguy

@jump People in the replies mention a reply by the lady that reposted it, apparently it's fake. Labelling it as an anti-woke list kinda didn't help. Could be wrong.

My primary school teacher read The Giver to us in fifth grade. It was one of the most amazing things. I don't get why it's banned at all. Guess people don't like to have their brains stimulated nowadays.

In eighth grade my English teacher read The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. Listened to some of the audiobook read by Sherman Alexie too. Again, why's that banned? Guess people don't like exploring other cultures.

Read Lord of the Flies a while ago. Serious existential crisis it gave me. The worst part is that this has every chance of happening. Humans are fickle creatures.

To Kill a Mockingbird was... dull. We psychoanalysed it in English and it did nothing for me. I see why it would be banned, especially by supremacists.

Harry Potter, banned?! I'll say this, Rowling did an exceptionally awful job of portraying non-English cultures, especially with names. Seamus Finnigan? Cho Chang? Parvati Patil? Anthony Goldstein?! Fleur Delacour? It's lame but not ban-worthy.

And I wonder why books are getting a bit dull lately. Nobody's daring to make books good enough to be banned.

Edited on by jedgamesguy

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

jump

@TheJGG just googled some of them (and then got bored to finish looking at them all) turns out LOTR is historically banned from the satanic panic era of America and the rest seemed banned at various individual schools rather than a state wide thing.

There are a few newer books like 13 Reasons Why and The Hate You Give on that list which have been banned.

Ooh, I just found this a list of the most 100 challenged/banned books in American im the 10s. I was gonna make it my aim to read them all but then I saw 50 Shades Of Grey is on it so maybe not. Also I'm a bit lame as my three favourite writers Haruki Murakami, Neil Gaiman and Chuck Palahniuk didn't make to any banned lists!

https://www.ala.org/advocacy/bbooks/frequentlychallengedbooks...

https://www.ala.org/advocacy/bbooks/frequentlychallengedbooks...

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

I've not checked the two new links, but let's just have a quick pause for the very idea of people wanting to ban books.
It's absurd, depressing, and, for me, quite scary.

Rambler

Kermit1doesmath

Rambler wrote:

I've not checked the two new links, but let's just have a quick pause for the very idea of people wanting to ban books.

they banned the Anne Frank book, what next the "Wizard of OZ".

dysgraphia awareness human

Rambler

Those two list, @Jump, are really interesting! I assumed that they would be current challenges and bans, but they're great with the historical context.

Just out of interest, only one book has been banned in the UK in the last 50 or so years (outside of political / state secrets issues).

It didn't help that at the Lady Chatterley obscenity trial, the prosecution asked, "would you let your wife or servant read this?". Kinda shows the split between modern society and the establishment.

According to Wikipedia, no books have really been banned in the US for many years either, so I guess the first amendment still works.

(LotR is quite racist, but only in its wider context, I think)

Rambler

Rambler

@Kermit1
The second of the Wizard of Oz books could be done under the current "moral panic", although it has been many many years since I read it.

Rambler

jump

Rambler wrote:

Speak for yourself, I've just started a hashtag to get Fight Club, Good Omens and Norwegian Wood banned so all of my favourite writers are edgy and cool!

But yeah, it's a depressing thought. Even if it's a silly concern like Harry Potter will turn my kid into a witch (is that in itself a confirmation of people think witchcraft is real?) shows little faith that type of exploration of ideas and breaking down information will lead to direct indoctrination, these are key skills for people as well as I've worked with so many donkeys who are only able to do rather than problem solve which largely stems from their inability to break down which reading a thought provoking books could have helped avoid.

Rambler wrote:

Those two list, @Jump, are really interesting! I assumed that they would be current challenges and bans, but they're great with the historical context.

Just out of interest, only one book has been banned in the UK in the last 50 or so years (outside of political / state secrets issues).

It didn't help that at the Lady Chatterley obscenity trial, the prosecution asked, "would you let your wife or servant read this?". Kinda shows the split between modern society and the establishment.

According to Wikipedia, no books have really been banned in the US for many years either, so I guess the first amendment still works.

(LotR is quite racist, but only in its wider context, I think)

It appears US can't ban books but they can refuse to hold some in their schools/libraries, like you can't request the book to be stocked so you can read like in an UK library.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

@jump
I am surprised that Fight Club hasn't been targeted, as it advocates anarchy, and is highly critical of the status quo*

Same with Gaiman - not read anything by him, but he's quite LGBT-friendly, isn't he?

Murakami - I've only read Dance Dance Dance, but from that it'll be a bit of a stretch to get him banned!

(*Apart from their early stuff.)

Rambler

Rambler

@jump
Oh yeah, dunno what it is like now in the UK, but back when I was much younger, I believe you could order de Sade and American Psycho at the library, but could only read them in the library! Taking them out was a step too much.

Much easier to got to Waterstones and buy them!

Edit: but yeah, banning books from schools and libraries is really depressing.
There can be an argument that overtly racist and sexist material would be inappropriate for schools, but that would hopefully be a decision taken by the school in consultation with pupils and staff.

Edited on by Rambler

Rambler

jump

@Rambler Murakami get accused of misogyny a fair bit but it's mostly down to he's very bad at writing female characters, which is odd as I've seen him write about spaghetti for three pages likes it's poetry so you'd think a few women wouldn't be too hard to write. Plus there's been a few subplots of underage sex in some of his books.

Yeah Gaiman is LGBTQ friendly, I seem to remember non-binary and trans were in his books long before the idea was mainstream but I was thinking more of his satire of religion. He portrayed Lucifer as sympathetic in The Sandman (a bit like in Wreck It Ralph where you're forced into the position of being the bad guy even if you don't want to be), American Gods (an amazing book btw) and Good Omens are both very heavy on religion.

Fight Club was my introduction into the idea of nihilism which has pretty much stuck with me ever since so maybe I am wrong and books should be banned for their dangerous ideas. lol

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

jump

@Rambler That's alot of effort, they should have just taken the book out and "lost" it so problem solved!

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

@jump
Slowly over many years until only one book remains

Rambler

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic