Forums

Topic: Nintendo Life Book Club

Posts 381 to 400 of 551

jump

@Eel In fairness some people don't want things like "gay" on their search history or on their phone in fear exposure as well as those smaller communities where libraries are so important are often the ones with the worst internet connections. There's a comedian I like and he talked about growing up dirt poor so as a teen he would go to the library to use their internet as that was the only he could access the internet and just spend the entire day researching various topics.

The sad thing is the smaller communities that will burn/ban the gay literature are probably the ones that need it the most. As confusing as the idea of being non-binary, trans or just plain gay is to the pitch fork wielding book burning townsfolk it's just as confusing (probably more so) to the young adults going through those realizations and without that kind of understanding it can lead to self-loathing, depression or suicide especially if they fear talking about it to anyone about it.

Plus arty lesbian books are nice to look at...

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Okami1

jump wrote:

pitch fork wielding book burning townsfolk

ah, that's what this whole thing reminded me of.

dysgraphia awareness human

Rambler

I would hope the last book remaining is the illustrated edition of Ballard's Atrocity Exhibition that I have.

Rambler

Tyranexx

I think the last book should be Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 for the ultimate irony.

(I don't think written digital content will ever truly be banned, but it wouldn't surprise me if physical books eventually go the way of the dodo)

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Rambler

@Tyranexx
Yeah, I think they will become a luxury. But adding Fahrenheit 451 to a challenged / banned book list would definitely show a lack of awareness!
Having said that, 1984 being challenged / banned is in the same area.

Rambler

Tyranexx

@Rambler Actually, Fahrenheit 451 HAS been challenged, banned, burned, and censored (via Wikipedia, with relevant sources in the footnotes of the book's article).

• In Apartheid South Africa the book was burned along with thousands of banned publications between the 1950s and 1970s.[78]
  • In 1987, Fahrenheit 451 was given "third tier" status by the Bay County School Board in Panama City, Florida, under then-superintendent Leonard Hall's new three-tier classification system. Third tier was meant for books to be removed from the classroom for "a lot of vulgarity." After a resident class-action lawsuit, a media stir, and student protests, the school board abandoned their tier-based censorship system and approved all the currently used books.[79]
  • In 1992, Venado Middle School in Irvine, California, gave copies of Fahrenheit 451 to students with all "obscene" words blacked out.[80] Parents contacted the local media and succeeded in reinstalling the uncensored copies.[80]
  • In 2006, parents of a 10th-grade high school student in Montgomery County, Texas, demanded the book be banned from their daughter's English class reading list.[81] Their daughter was assigned the book during Banned Books Week, but stopped reading several pages in due to what she considered the offensive language and description of the burning of the Bible. In addition, the parents protested the violence, portrayal of Christians, and depictions of firemen in the novel.[81]

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

jump

@Eel my bad, I mistook your post for something else hence the odd response.

If we are talking about the last book then surely it should be the dictionary, it has all the words in it so it's more bang for your buck.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Rambler

@jump
Gullible is not in the dictionary

Rambler

jump

@Rambler I just had a look and it's there. Whilst I was at it I also looked up the defintion of condescending, that's when you speak DOWN to someone!

Nicolai wrote:

jedgamesguy

There's one book you've all forgotten... and frankly if I say it without a VPN I'll probably start to worry about my safety...

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

jump

@TheJGG Do you want folk to guess or are you actually worried about typing it?

I'd say The Satanic Verses? I've listened to a few podcasts about it and I was tempted to read and ask a few Muslim friends about the various blasphemies but all the Muslims I know drink, eat pork, have tattoos etc so I don't think they would even know.

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

@jump what is the word for speaking up to someone?
Or is it that even a thing?

(And apols if the above came across as twattish - it's an ancient joke, but i guess it can be patronising).

Rambler

jump

@Rambler I got that and no offense taken, the condescending definition is the only dictionary related joke I know rather than it being a clap back.

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

@jump
Oh ffs, I didn't get that at all!!!

Rambler

jump

@Rambler It probably works better with how I normally use it when I apologize for being condescending only to then mansplain the word. Mansplaining is when I have to explain things to people who know very little.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

jedgamesguy

@jump It is a joke but at the same time there is an element of truth to what I mean. I don't think that if I mention The Satanic Verses I'd get abducted but you never know... but yeah, that's it!

@Rambler NOW I worry about my safety! Wouldn't want to choke to death on my own sick now...

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

Rambler

@jump
I hope that is the dictionary definition!

@TheJGG - that's not the novel I have, but I seriously doubt that there is a hair's breadth of difference in the storytelling. I've yet to read it for sanity reasons.

Anyways, online version of the Uxbridge Dictionary:
http://www.alspcs.com/main.html

Rambler

jump

The problem with The Satanic Verses is that it's false advertising. With a name like that you'd think it would be the story of a metal band writing songs about the devil and rockin out, I picture it being like Metalocalypse in novel format. Too bad Salman Rushdie was not into Slayer!

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Rambler

@Tyranexx
That's astonishing about Farenheit 451, and yes, definitely has a certain irony about it!

@jump
I reckon Rushdie is more of an Anthrax fan

Rambler

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic