Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 6,621 to 6,640 of 6,810

Tasuki

WoomyNNYes wrote:

What happened with Ghostbusters Frozen Empire? It wasn't nearly as good as Ghostbusters Afterlife. Frozen Empire was ok, but the beginning was strangely weak. (that said, still a better film than I can make)
If anyone hasn't seen Ghostbusters Afterlife, I think it's surprisingly good.

I still need to see that movie which is surprising because I am a huge Ghostbusters fan. I guess part of me is afraid it won't live up to the hype everyone has created for it and it won't live up to the first two.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

WoomyNNYes

@Tasuki Oh, you haven't seen Ghostbusters Afterlife yet? I think you're in for a treat. I think it's the best Ghostbusters since Ghostbusters 1. Ghostbusters 2 has that weird painting plot, I don't know.😆 I've rewatched Afterlife like three times. While I didn't feel particularly compelled to rewatch the 2016 Ghostbusters w/ female cast. Although, I thought it was a decent watch.

If you're ranking the Ghostbusters movies, looking Rotten Tomatoes critic score, they rank the 2016 movie as the #2 ghostbusters movie. But if you go by the RT's audience score, Afterlife has the #2 spot. I think I agree more with the audience score.

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Tasuki

@WoomyNNYes No I haven't seen it yet nor have I seen the 2016 Ghostbusters. To be honest I have no interest in the 2016 one to me it just looked and felt like a quick cash in on the Ghostbusters name. I agree 2 was kinda odd but it was still enjoyable. I remember as a kid my favorite part was seeing them use a NES advantage to controller the Statue of Liberty. I believe that was the first time I saw a Nintendo product in the mainstream, I though it was so cool lol.

But yeah sooner or later I will check out Afterlife. Also it doesn't help that none of the streaming channels have it to stream.

[Edited by Tasuki]

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

WoomyNNYes

@Tasuki I think you could be right that Afterlife may not have been streamable. I rented it on itunes for like 4 bucks (because I could rip the mp4). And the price of Frozen Empire dropped for the first time last week on Apple TV/iTunes, $10(buy) or $6(rent), and that's how I saw Frozen Empire.

When I search Afterlife on Roku, it appears to currently be exclusive to AppleTV/iTunes - $4 rent, $15 buy. But the Apple TV app doesn't cost anything to access. So, if you ever had an iTunes account, you could sign in with that to rent it (if you havent' used itunes in a while though, you'll probably have to jump a hurdles to update your password).

[Edited by WoomyNNYes]

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Anti-Matter

I saw from Cinema XXI Twitter that the new Doraemon movie on this year will be aired at my local cinema XXI Indonesia on 17 July 2024.
Gotta watch the movie ASAP as anime movie will only last for 3 - 7 days at Cinema XXI as they prioritize more Western / local movies than Japanese anime movie.

Anti-Matter

RR529

I understand this will likely be a little TL;DR, but here are all the films I watched over the past couple weeks (with the exception of Malena & the anime titles, I picked up everything thrifting).

Daredevil (Blu-Ray) - the 2003 version (Director's Cut). I think this actually started out pretty strongly, but got a little shaky as it went on. Still has some good elements though, and I wouldn't call it terrible.

Elektra (Blu-Ray) - This on the other hand wasn't very good at all. Only watched it because it was included with Fantastic 4 & Daredevil (got the three pack at a thrift store for $2, so can't complain).

Gladiator (Blu-Ray) - Haven't watched this in a good while, and am glad to report it's still fantastic. Easily the best thing I watched over the past couple weeks & am now pretty excited for the legacy sequel coming out.

Gurren Lagaan: Childhood's End (Blu-Ray) - The first half of the TV series abridged into film format. There is some new animation which is cool to see (along with a bunch re-used from the show), but it's best watched as a refresher for existing fans, rather than a jumping on point for newbies.

Gurren Lagaan: the Lights in the Sky are Stars (Blu-Ray) - The second half of the TV series abridged into film format. I give it pretty much the same assessment as the first.

Independence Day (Blu-Ray) - Watched this on the titular holiday (with the dog on my lap as he's afraid of fireworks). Haven't actually sat down to watch this one in a long time, but it was a pretty fun time, even if the film itself was pretty uneven. I think it jumps around a bit much and would probably be a bit tighter if they cut out Randy Quaid's storyline, but at the same time he has some of the best bits in the film so I'm not sure I'd want that, lol. Similarly, I think it does a great job setting up the tension when the saucers are entering the atmosphere, but once the action gets going the effects start tearing apart at the seams.

Malena (Blu-Ray) - Picked up the uncut Imprint release. Coming of age story set amongst the backdrop of WWII Italy. Could be pretty tonally inconsistent, but it was worth the watch, IMO.

the Monuments Men (Blu-Ray) - Pretty breezy film about a group of academics who are sent into Europe during WWII in order to identify & protect art/historic sites, etc. with a pretty all star cast. It wasn't a masterpiece itself, but I really enjoyed watching it.

Shazam (Blu-Ray) - It's not a perfect movie, but man is it a fun time. Really captures the vibe of all the kinds of mischief a kid would get into if they suddenly had superpowers. Definitely the best out of all the superhero flicks in this list.

Spider-Man 3 (Blu-Ray) - It definitely had it's moments, but was definitely stretched a bit too thin with the three antagonists. Like Independence Day it's another one I hadn't seen in a long time & wish I would have liked a bit more, even if there were good parts.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Sunsy

Yeah, DreamWorks officially announced Shrek 5 today.

https://www.instagram.com/dreamworks/reel/C9Nu8BsNkfL/

(Hope this works since the last time I tried an Instagram link, it didn't show properly.)

Edit: Ok, I'll take a link then. Wish it showed up like Twitter does (I don't use Twitter anymore).

[Edited by Sunsy]

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Zuljaras

Watched Despicable Me 4 and it was just as good as the others Those movies put a smile on my face

The Terminator 2 chase scene cracked me up

Pastellioli

@Sunsy That is going to be so exciting. I think this film was reported on for a few years and there weren’t really any announcements or info for it. I freaking loved The Last Wish, so I hope Shrek 5 is really good.

A random gamer that loves retro games, squirrels, and sleeping.

Currently playing: Hatsune Miku: Colorful Stage! (Mobile) and Yo-Kai Watch 2: Fleshy Souls (3DS)

Switch Friend Code: SW-1834-9478-0593

PikminMarioKirby

Let’s go, Shrek 5! Hopefully it lives up to the original movies.

[Edited by PikminMarioKirby]

A NintendoLife user that could talk about Kirby, Pikmin, or Mario RPGs for hours without getting bored!

Mallow9623

It's also rumored we may be getting a Donkey movie.

Mallow9623

Sunsy

@Zuljaras Nice to see someone actually like the Despicable Me movies. It's refreshing given how most on the net are towards the movies. Hoping to see Despicable Me 4.

@Pastellioli Yeah, I usually like to wait to see DreamWorks officially announce something. It only makes it official. Hope so too, Puss In Boots was great. I've seen most of the Shrek movies save for the third one, but I may still give the third one a go now that Peacock has it. Most say it's the worst, but I'm someone who watches movies myself and form my own opinions on them.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

Pastellioli

@Sunsy I haven’t really watched the fourth film (I can recall seeing a little bit of it on YouTube movies when I was shredding papers a few months ago but I wasn’t watching it entirely) and I never saw the third one, but I watched film analysis videos for them both and they were extremely entertaining. I have seen the first two movies and the Puss in Boots spin-offs, including that Netflix show a few years ago. I am pretty excited for the fifth movie though!

EDIT: Whoops! I meant to say that I watched the fourth one and never saw the third. Gotta fix that.

[Edited by Pastellioli]

A random gamer that loves retro games, squirrels, and sleeping.

Currently playing: Hatsune Miku: Colorful Stage! (Mobile) and Yo-Kai Watch 2: Fleshy Souls (3DS)

Switch Friend Code: SW-1834-9478-0593

Sunsy

@Pastellioli Neat, with Shrek, I saw the first one. Sometime after seeing Trolls World Tour, I was checking out other DreamWorks movies, and finally saw Shrek 2 and 4, as well as Puss In Boots. I did see Puss In Boots The Last Wish in theaters, so the third movie is the only one I haven't seen in the series. Glad you're excited for the fifth movie.

Zuljaras

@Sunsy Wow I never knew people dislike the movies! After all they have 2 Minions movies and 4 Despicable Me movies, so they must be doing something right.

Despicable Me and Hotel Transylvania movies are regularly watched with the wife

MontyCircus

I'm excited that 1993 anime classic Ninja Scroll is hitting theatres in September.

It was one of the "Big Three" original gateway anime movies for adult audiences
(along with Akira and Ghost in the Shell).
To Western eyes used to animated movies being of the Disney variety, they were quite the revelation!

[Edited by MontyCircus]

MontyCircus

Sunsy

@Zuljaras Yeah, throughout the years of being online, I often see people dislike most of the movies, save for the first one. Mostly citing Minions as the main reason. At least from what I've seen online anyway.

Cool you watch them regularly. I enjoy watching them from time to time, I watched the first Despicable Me and Minions awhile back. Actually, I had to do an early morning errand and found a drink with Bob topper at the local convenience store.

[Edited by Sunsy]

Sunsy

@Zuljaras Honestly, I actually got a good laugh out of the airplane scene in Minions: The Rise of Gru. BTW, I saw news today, they announced Minions 3 for 2027.

PikminMarioKirby

Minions 3? Despicable Me 4 just came out a few days ago XD

A NintendoLife user that could talk about Kirby, Pikmin, or Mario RPGs for hours without getting bored!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic