Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 6,601 to 6,620 of 6,686

Sunsy

Last night, watched Garfield on DVD, the older live action one from 2004. Haven't seen this movie in years, had a good time watching it.

Also, the new trailer for The Wild Robot dropped today...

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

steruphan

@Sunsy
The Wild Robot looks absolutely amazing!
It's been on my most anticipated movies list for a while now and I can't wait for its release.

Shining Light on Stories Told

Anti-Matter

I have watched Garfield 2024 movie from my local cinema for 3 times.
It wasn't really good movie in my opinion, not really funny movie also but the fatherhood of Garfield and his father Victor near the end of story was really touched me (I was literally dropped my tiny tears when watching those scenes).

Anti-Matter

steruphan

Surprisingly, I liked The Watchers better than I feared I would. That's not to say this is a good movie though, but it's not the train wreck I expected.

The directing and acting is fine and the movie doesn't rely on jump scares but a sense of dread, which is always a plus in my book, and there are some genuinely tense moments to be had.
The writing and editing though leave a lot to be desired. As does the cinematography, which is way too dark in certain scenes. The lore they're trying to establish doesn't make much sense and the plot has as many holes as a colander.

Still... could have been worse.

CRB1984

Bad Boys: Ride or Die! It was surprisingly pretty good for the FOURTH movie in the franchise 👍🏼

Switch Name: CRB1984
FC: SW-5658-8476-2295

Anti-Matter

I have watched Inside Out 2 for 2 times at my local cinema XXI.
It was okay movie, not really emotional evoking for me.
The only thing that made me giggle when I saw something looks like Dora the explorer or Mickey Mouse Clubhouse in the movie.
I mean...really ? 🤭

Anti-Matter

Tasuki

I watched Mad Max Fury Road tonight. I know it came out nearly 10 years ago, but I was hesitant to see it fearing that it was just going to be another crash grab on the 80s craze, boy was I wrong. I really enjoyed it alot and it does earn a place in the Mad Max universe. It is probably my second favorite in the series right behind Mad Max 2. I though Tom Hardy did a great job as Max and the action was great. Definitely worth a watch especially if you like action movies.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

steruphan

@Tasuki
I love Fury Road. It's such a visceral thrill ride from start to finish.
Shame Furiosa couldn't live up to it. Still a good movie though.

DanijoEX-the-Pierrot

Been on monster film hunt recently. My latest is Gamera the Brave. Honestly, I consider it better than what most people have said about it. I love that it does it's own thing rather than do what the trilogy had already done.

My next hunt is X the Unknown. Saw on cable one time. Thought it was WAAAAY better than compared to The Blob imo. Or the H-Man. Three "blob monster" films. From the US, UK, & JP. Made in the late 50's.

I sell my famous Chesapeake Tupperware.
I ACCEPT NO DEBIT CARDS!
DO YOU HEAR ME!?!

Twitter:

Tasuki

@steruphan I haven't seen Furiosa yet hopefully on my next day off I can hit the theater. But yeah Fury Road was just non stop, I think it was because how it was done as one big chase sequence which I loved.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

RR529

Belladonna of Sadness (4K UHD Blu-Ray) - In spite of being a 50 year old film, this is one of the most mesmerizing looking anime films I've ever seen. Which is saying something, as it utilizes a lot of still (or sparsely animated) scenes, which really gives props to the quality of the art itself. And oh boy, when it does go all out on animation you get some fantastic sequences (such as the visualization of how the Plague spreads across the village). Definitely one for the adults only though.

Fantastic 4 (Blu-Ray) - the 2000's one. I picked this up at a thrift store (in a triple pack with Daredevil & Elektra, which I'll get around to eventually as well). I don't think I've seen it since we rented it on DVD back when it first came out. Definitely very middle of the road for what it is. It had it's moments, but superhero films have come a long way since. How it handled Dr. Doom was probably it's biggest shortcoming though.

Hurricane Polymar (Blu-Ray) - I don't watch enough "Tokusatsu" stuff to know whether or not this is considered a good example of the genre, but I thought it was alright. A bit too cheesy for me maybe, but worth the buy to support Discotek.

The Wind Rises (Blu-Ray) - Absolutely phenomenal film. I won't lie, I think overall Miyazaki hasn't been my favorite Ghibli director (I generally prefer Takahata's output, & even the one Goro Miyazaki film I've seen, which I know is blasphemy lol), but this is definitely my favorite from him so far, and is one of my favorite Ghibli films. If you can get over how it sort of downplays Japan in WWII, it's a brilliant watch.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

steruphan

Based on the photo-book of the same name, The Bikeriders tells the story of the Chicago based motorcycle gang The Vandals from their early gatherings to their evolution into organized crime a decade later.

As the gang grows bigger and bigger and their leader, played by Tom Hardy, starts losing control, the movie becomes quite gritty but that adds to the realism of it.

Jeff Nichols did a great job adapting the source material, submerging the viewer in bike culture. The story is told from the perspective of Kathy (Jodie Comer), Benny's wife. Benny, portrayed by Austin Butler, was the standout for me. His quiet persona intrigued me, always keeping me on edge trying to figure out what was going on beneath his icy exterior.

I normally have a hard time caring for characters who break the law left and right but Jeff Nichols was able to give these gang members so much personality and enough backstory and humanity that the ending still hit me in a way I didn't see coming.

steruphan

Only a couple of Pixar sequels have been able to live up to the original, sadly Inside Out 2 isn't one of them.

Where the first movie was filled to the brim with clever ideas, funny jokes and great characters, this sequel feels lesser in all of those aspects. But my main problem with the movie was its pacing. During its first two acts, the screenplay rushes through so many scenarios, concepts and setups, none of the characters have any room to breathe.
The first movie did a much better job introducing the audience to the world inside Riley's mind and setting up the main conflict the characters need to overcome. Quite frankly, I thought this was done pretty sloppily in the follow-up and about halfway into the movie, disappointment was the main emotion taking control of my mind. I also got quite annoyed at Envy, who doesn't act at all like envy should and functions more as an echo chamber for Anxiety.

Luckily, the third act saved the movie for me. Once Anxiety goes into overdrive, everything comes together and the movie slows down to deliver an emotionally impactful finale.
That doesn't forgive the sloppy first two acts though. Maybe I'm a bit harsh on it, but while the original Inside Out ranks in my Top 3 Pixar films, this one doesn't even manage to climb out of the bottom half. And that makes me a little sad.

steruphan

I'm usually not a big fan of prequels, but A Quiet Place: Day One pulled off the impossible. It manages to stand shoulder to shoulder to the first two movies, and in some aspects even surpasses them.

Not only is this movie incredibly tense, on par with the first movie, it's also very moving with a great emotionally charged story about Sam, played by Lupita Nyong'o. To avoid spoilers, I can't delve into why her story moved me so, but she was an exceptionally well written character in a genre that's often lacking in that regard. Lupita gave Sam incredible weight and she moved me to tears at two separate occasions in the story.

Well written, directed, acted and shot, the only minor complaint I have with this otherwise outstanding film are a couple of questionable editing choices. Special mention to the sound design and sound mixing because without it, this movie wouldn't work nearly as well.

This might be the best prequel I've ever seen. Oh, and it has a great cat performance. Icing on the cake.

Mana_Knight

Just saw 'SEIZE THEM'. It is a medievil comedy road movie.

Critics hated it.

10/10.

It was silly and I was entertained from start to finish. No further notes.

[Edited by Mana_Knight]

Mana_Knight

Sunsy

Finally saw Inside Out 2! I loved the movie, maybe more than the first movie. Plus, the theater was packed. Last time I went to a movie that was packed was when I saw the early access screening to Trolls Band Together.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

WoomyNNYes

What happened with Ghostbusters Frozen Empire? It wasn't nearly as good as Ghostbusters Afterlife. Frozen Empire was ok, but the beginning was strangely weak. (that said, still a better film than I can make)

If anyone hasn't seen Ghostbusters Afterlife, I think it's surprisingly good.

[Edited by WoomyNNYes]

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

MontyCircus

steruphan wrote:

@Tasuki
I love Fury Road. It's such a visceral thrill ride from start to finish.
Shame Furiosa couldn't live up to it. Still a good movie though.

My sister and I had the same reaction to Furiosa:

"It's like Fury Road...but this time..............with a plot!"

Neither of us liked Fury Road. I think watching a "making of Fury Road" documentary, showing all the actual stunts, would be more entertaining than the actual film, since that's pretty much all the movie is anyway. Very similar reaction we have to the Mission: Impossible movies: "Yeah, a couple of big stunts were cool but......the story?"

I also think it's possible that after seeing Furiosa first, it might make Fury Road a better watch, because of viewers having a connection through the backstory to Furiosa.

MontyCircus

Dogorilla

Possibly my biggest movie hot take is that Frozen Empire is the best Ghostbusters film. Also the 2016 reboot is better than Ghostbusters 2.

Thank you Nintendo for giving us Donkey Kong Jr Math on Switch Online

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic