Forums

Topic: Ideas for the site

Posts 2,341 to 2,360 of 2,597

Ryu_Niiyama

@antdickens cool, thank you! That's all I ask. I appreciate the work you and your staff do. Web development recently got dropped on me as a job duty (that I have no real skillset for mind you) and I hate it, so mad respect for your and your staff's hard work.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Ryu_Niiyama

@antdickens Honestly no, I hate the whole "what are your pronouns" thing. I have that I am female in my profile and that is good enough with the occasional correction to me. Or verbally breaking my foot off on the occasional misogynist I encounter on the site. I think the pronoun game forces conversations that aren't appropriate for a gaming website (which is different than talking about LGB in gaming itself). just my 2 cents though. Most of us are adults here so a quick correction and moving on is enough I think.

Ah crap didn't mean to double post.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Eel

@Ryu_Niiyama yeah sorry I can see how that could be confusing. I tend to group people in my replies, and I know I know what I mean, but I do tend to forget other people might not.

In terms of pronouns and statements of gender, I would assume the user description would work for that already? Kind of like on other sites.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Ryu_Niiyama

@Eel Nah it's cool. We both clarified and apologized and hugged it out lol. Tell your Squirtle to move over on that float...it's hot as heck where I am. 105 F.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

antdickens

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

@antdickens cool, thank you! That's all I ask. I appreciate the work you and your staff do. Web development recently got dropped on me as a job duty (that I have no real skillset for mind you) and I hate it, so mad respect for your and your staff's hard work.

Haha thanks — I’d love to pass on credit to the staff but I’m the sole developer for Hookshot still, but one day we’ll hire a helper for me everyone else works on content more or less.

@antdickens
Nintendo Life | Push Square | Pure Xbox | Time Extension

Switch Friend Code: SW-7806-7257-0597 | My Nintendo: antdickens | Nintendo Network ID: anthonyd | Twitter:

Ryu_Niiyama

@antdickens Aww man, I do understand. I'm a MSP department of one so I do feel your pain. Keep your head up! It's Fri-yay at least!

@Eel I don't know why, but that made me giggle-snort.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

FishyS

@antdickens My Switch friend code appears whenever I post; would it be hard to have a 100% optional they/she/he line under that? I know it's been brought up before, but I think it would be cool to have a 'favorite game' or 'currently playing' line below your Switch Friend code also when you post as sort of a signature block.

@Ryu_Niiyama when people say 'they' on sites like this, it normally means nothing about preferred pronouns, it is usually just that the person doesn't know what gender the other person is. I think they is meant to be universally unoffensive but it's also just sort of the historical English word that makes sense. I know I personally rarely click on someone's profile to see if they have preferred pronouns (such as she or he) before replying to them.

On the other hand, there is rarely a reason to indirectly refer to someone in these comments rather than just using their usernames and using names makes the pronouns issue a moot point. I think that's the overall politest thing to do.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

Ryu_Niiyama

@FishyS So, again. I attempted to correct Eel because his initial wording was unclear (because he was responding to a person that had tagged me directly, so based on that context his comment made it seem like he was referring solely to me) and we have spoken for many years so I know he knows that I am female. Simply that. Eel and I came to an understanding already and I've since amended my posts. I'm not sure what you are attempting to educate me on but it isn’t required and you can take your condescending tone elsewhere. I've been on this site for nearly a decade. I'm good.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

FishyS

@Ryu_Niiyama Most of us have been on the internet for longer than a decade and this website is similar to other places, but many people still manage to offend/ get offended because of miscommunications. Both sides of this conversation case in point I suppose. In retrospect, I shouldn't have tagged you, you were just the person who started this little sub-topic conversation, even if unintentionally.

Anyways, apologies for disturbing. I think the overall conversation is an interesting question though since it is nice to be able to not accidentally offend people (or at least not as easily).

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

jump

A mute/collapse feature sounds good. A lot of threads have become so cliquey they are now unreadable to folk casually dropping in which this could help counter.

As for pronouns, why not just drop it into your signature if it’s a concern for you.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Uncle_Franklin

Search function for your own comments page would be good.

Uncle_Franklin

FishyS

Professor_Plumber wrote:

Uncle_Franklin wrote:

Search function for your own comments page would be good.

Oy yes, there's been many times I needed to look up an old comment of mine only to look through dozens of pages...
Seconded

I like to search other people's comments also. It may already be possible in a complicated way (?) , but a nice easy from: search option both in the main comments and the forums would be nice.

FishyS

Rambler

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

Most of us are adults here.

Untitled

Yeah, there's enough scope for adding pronouns in your sig or profile, so no need for specific fields, I think.

Muting a conversation would be good: you mute once, but all linked posts are muted as well. I have no idea how that could be implemented.

Thought you could already search with a username as a field?

Rambler

Kermit1doesmath

@antdickens can ignored users please see posts on this thread (like the This or That thread).

This is a thread for everyone, I feel we should be able to see everyone's ideas, ignored or not.

dysgraphia awareness human

Anti-Matter

@antdickens
Um, can I still contacting your e-mail address whenever I spotted something suspicious / problematic from Nintendolife since I can include the screenshots for the evidences?

I'm afraid I will get ban again for contacting your e-mail after I got e-mail from the Community Manager. 😖

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Ryu_Niiyama

@Rambler lmao.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic