Forums

Topic: Ideas for the site

Posts 2,321 to 2,340 of 2,597

Scooby-Doo

@antdickens Thank you very much, it's really appreciated.

Truly I am mankind's natural foe! Evil Incarnate! A walking cataclysm! A shapeless insanity! GUNDHAM TANAKA!
Kelpies. Be they hound or horse? I'd rather smell wet dog than be drowned by a horse.
Currently Playing on Switch: Chaos Head Noah, PARANORMASIGHT, Mega Man Series.

RupeeClock

@antdickens
Something appears to have broken YouTube embeds on Nintendo Life articles and forum posts. Time Extension also appears to be affected.
https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/nintendo-switch/switch_ph...
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2023/07/criminally-cute-pix...

I've checked Chrome and Firefox, adblock on or off (usually off), signed in or out, cookies accepted, desktop and mobile, local wifi and mobile data, and the situation appears to be the same; YouTube iFrame doesn't load anything.

Twitter Embeds appear to be fine.

Edited on by RupeeClock

RupeeClock

Fizza

I've just noticed the changes made towards game-specific pages on here and the sister sites like Push Square and Inside Xbox and, while I think they're fantastic improvements overall (especially the added tags and accessibility notices, those are a game changer), there's one thing that I'd like to see changed if possible.

On the old version of these pages, when you clicked both News and Guides, they would take you to separate pages that showed all of the articles involving the game you chose, dating back to it's initial reveal/release. However, when you click those options now, it'll just go down the page and only show the most recent articles/guides for the game in question which, when some games have a lot of information/news for stuff such as updates or sales figures, makes it very annoying to find stuff that was easily accessible beforehand.

I think a relatively simple tweak for this would be to have an option next to the headlines of these sections that says 'Show All' that, when clicked, takes you to the full list of articles like before. This is already used for Screenshots so it seems simple enough to implement from an outsider's perspective.
Untitled
Sorry if this got a bit rambly towards the end, I'm just a very big fan of going back through older articles to see what the discussions were towards them in stuff like the comments (especially on Soapbox articles) and this change makes that a lot more difficult to do. The overall changes are definitely great though and this is very much just the one thing keeping it from perfection in my opinion. Thank you for reading and have a great day!

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

antdickens

@Fizza thanks for the kind words (glad you like the changes!). Yes, the 'Show All' will appear on those article boxes in the near future, however, I need to make a couple of other changes happen before I can implement that — but it is very much the plan.

@antdickens
Nintendo Life | Push Square | Pure Xbox | Time Extension

Switch Friend Code: SW-7806-7257-0597 | My Nintendo: antdickens | Nintendo Network ID: anthonyd | Twitter:

Fizza

@antdickens That's all I wanted to hear, thank you very much!

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Ryu_Niiyama

I wonder if there is any way to Mute/minimize individual comments? I'm one of the biggest proponents of the ignore feature (thanks again @antdickens) but sometimes you just want to skip over a comment or two (when a commenter gets in a lather or bangs a drum but is usually fine otherwise). I have no clue the overhead for this on a website, but I think it might be useful. Perhaps tie it to downvotes since downvotes don't do anything on the site? Like if you downvote a comment it pops up if you want to mute the comment? This is for the individual signed in.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Rambler

@antdickens
I could see a use in trying to follow a certain conversation in a thread, so blocking one of two users having another chat would facilitate that.
I suppose you could have a way of closing/expanding the comment?

Rambler

Ryu_Niiyama

@antdickens yeah kinda like how comments can get downvoted into not being visible on other sites. Doesn’t block the whole user but hides/mutes that comment. Again I am saying for the individual person that is signed in, and not that it impacts everybody else, same way ignore doesn't impact anybody else.

So like for instance if I know one user hates the current pokemon game and goes on any pokemon article to comment how much they hate the latest game, I just scroll right past their name as soon as I see them in a pokemon article but have no issues with their comments in other articles so I won’t put them on ignore. If i could mute the comment I don’t have to blow past a wall of text if I return to that article. That comment is hidden for me. I hope that makes better sense.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Ryu_Niiyama

@Professor_Plumber I guess it depends on how you process text or if you have been around long enough to know some user habits. Let us use myself as an example. Let’s say you don’t mind my other comments on say pikmin but you don’t wanna read my zelda opinions and you are like “here we go again” when you see my name in a zelda article. You don’t wanna ignore or block me because you wanna read my other gaming comments but don’t care for those. So the second you see my username in an zelda article you hide my post because you don’t care but because I write text walls you don’t wanna scroll to death get past my posts. Hope that makes sense.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Eel

Tasuki wrote:

So basically you want to be to control what people can say on a public forum?

That’s kind of a big jump from what they’ve been saying.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Ryu_Niiyama

@Tasuki As usual you go somewhere else and nowhere near what I was saying about this. Which I'm going to just let you do that and I'll keep it moving. Although you are sorta offering up an example to my suggestion. So thank you I guess?

Ant and staff can decide if my suggestion is worthwhile or not.

So @antdickens, for example Tasuki loves to interject and go rounds about ignore and block because he doesn't like it. Which is fine as he has a right to feel however he wants, but I don't care anymore because we have beaten that horse to death in my opinion. I don't mind his other comments which is why he isn't on my ignore list, but woo, I would love to mute his comments for myself anytime he gets on his "I wanna see all the comments/freedom of speech on a privately owned website" tirades. Cuz I don't care anymore about his opinion on the topic. Tasuki I didn't tag you at this part because I'm offering it to Ant as an example, please don't start anything over this because I don't have time or energy for it.

@Eel I'm female, please don't refer to me as "they/them". Thank you! Edit: Apparently Eel was actually referring to a few folks so I take back the rebuke/correction of my post but will keep it up in case anybody else needs to reference me directly. Apologies to Eel.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Ryu_Niiyama

@Professor_Plumber Phones are alive...typing what they want. It's cool. You haven't been on the site long enough to imo have clicked on my profile or to have known (I'm very vocal about female presence in gaming both in front of and behind the controller) but Eel and I have talked long enough that I would not have expected the vague pronoun. Edit: and I was wrong anyway. So, Egg on my face lol.

I'm just about enjoying the website and not drowning in the toxic. Not saying that people don't have a right (that word gets bandied around too much and incorrectly in my opinion) to their opinion, but I have just the same right to ignore you/not want to have your negativity or craziness in my life. Positive Ki all the way for me.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Ryu_Niiyama

@Eel Ah, ok, that is fair but wasn't clear in your post. But I stand corrected. Thank you!

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

antdickens

@Ryu_Niiyama thanks and yeah, I now understand what you are suggesting.

Once we've added threaded comments, those threads would likely be collapsed by default anyway. But it would be possible to "remember" which threads/comments are expanded/collapsed, so I'll certainly consider it when that development is done. However, as a short term thing it's probably not very feasible... let me have a think on it and see if there is an easy way, there might be!

@antdickens
Nintendo Life | Push Square | Pure Xbox | Time Extension

Switch Friend Code: SW-7806-7257-0597 | My Nintendo: antdickens | Nintendo Network ID: anthonyd | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic