Forums

Topic: Yokai Watch

Posts 101 to 120 of 162

Tyranexx

@Seacliff: I'm rarely a completionist unless the game has "Zelda" somewhere in the title, but I do try to do at least some sidequests. XD I may go ahead and wait for Shinuchi (if it gets localized) as I'm not sure if I want to play the same plot through twice.

Granted, I need to play the first game first. X3

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

ZaraIsEarly

I'm a lifelong Pokemon fan and I've heard a lot of good things about Yokai Watch. I watched some of the anime a few years back (it was subbed) and I must say I enjoyed it a fair bit, enough for me to watch almost a full season. As someone who is beginning to find the Pokemon series too easy and 'kid friendly' without a better way of putting it, how would I find Yokai Watch? I understand that Yokai Watch is aimed at an ever so slightly younger audience than Pokemon, and I also understand that Pokemon is meant to be played by kids. However, I've found recent entries, such as Omega Ruby, to be far too easy, at least in comparison to the first three generations. Will I find some kind of challenge within Yokai Watch, or will that fact that I've played thousands of hours of Pokemon make the game feel too easy also?

Toys-to-life is life.

My Nintendo: Zara

DefHalan

@Portal_King In my opinion, the two games don't compare well. I tried the Yokai Watch 1 demo and wasn't impressed. I would recommend checking out the demo

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

CanisWolfred

@Portal_King Yeah, I liked it more because I really like Japanese culture and mythology, and it also simulates the whole "summer vacation exploring the neighborhood with minimal adult involvement" that Pokemon originally founded itself upon, but does so in a way that's more readily relatable. I love supernatural kid's stories that really try to make you feel like this could happen in real life, that always got my imagination going way back when.

It's still not without its problems, though, and most of them are centered around the gameplay, so I very highly recommend trying the demo before you make a decision.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Tyranexx

@Portal_King: While the demo isn't a bad starting point, what really sold me on the first game was some gameplay footage that I found on YouTube.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

CanisWolfred

Tyranexx wrote:

@Portal_King: While the demo isn't a bad starting point, what really sold me on the first game was some gameplay footage that I found on YouTube.

...I actually find that surprising, in this case, but I guess opinions will differ all around.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Anti-Matter

Yo, i will play Yokai Watch 3DS on this week.
I will wait my order arrived to my house.
Any appreciation about Yokai Watch games despite being overshadowed by Pokemon hype ?

Anti-Matter

Fandabidozi

@Anti-Matter
You playing the first one? It’s so good! You’ll scratch a big circle into your screen by the time you’re done so might be worth investing in a screen protector.

NNID: Fandabidozi
3DS Friend Code: 2552-1581-3189
AC Pocket Camp: 1580 9310 141

My Nintendo: Fandabidozi | Nintendo Network ID: Fandabidozi | Twitter:

Anti-Matter

@Fandabidozi
Wow, i will use my finger to spin and i will try to spin the wheel carefully.

Anti-Matter

gcunit

I love the art and presentation in Yokai Watch 1. I started it a while back but only played a few hours so far, need to get back to it.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Anti-Matter

@gcunit
I just wonder what make Yokai Watch still being overshadowed by Pokemon ?
Even during 90's, there was Monster Farm / Rancher on PS1 and the anime series.
They have anime and merchandises but still couldn't beat Pokemon franchise.

I like Pokemon but just casual.
Something that still in my mind was the plot assignment for every Pokemon games. All the plot assignment are always a 10 years old kid being sent into journey to become Pokemon master, left from Mom's house, meet the Professor, meet the rival, encounter with Team villains, get challenged by peoples and gym leaders, meet the Legendary creatures, the end.
All cookie cutter plot assignments for 25 years. Looks like a fake adventure to me since the villains didn't even directly attack the 10 years old kid to show that they are really bad villains with no mercy.

If you compare with other Monster taming franchises like Monster Farm, the monster can die and turned back into riot medal. The villains will not hesitate to attack the main character even they are kid. The plot of the games from PS1 to PS2 are different each other, no cookie cutter.
And for Yokai Watch, they have similarity with Pokemon in term of catching Yokais but it has different plot assignment each series. The series are direct sequel (In Yokai Watch 4 Nate was an adult and having son) unlike Pokemon with forever 10 Ash Ketchum.

Something that i never understand is when the other monster taming franchises have something better than Pokemon, they will never get success for very long time. I don't know if the marketing strategy or the franchises didn't get a lot of positive reactions that can kill the franchises because peoples will say "What was that?! I don't like it! " and not supporting the franchises even the goodies or still there was a bias between Pokemon and other monster taming franchises.
What do you think about ?

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

gcunit

@Anti-Matter I don't really know the history of the monster taming genre, but from my ignorant perspective, Pokémon got in there early (not necessarily first), targeting a young (8-13 year olds) market very effectively with its character designs - I'm 40 years old and, even without the nostalgia of playing Pokémon in the 90s, I find Pikachu irresistibly cute. In comparison, the Yokai Watch character designs are interesting, but they are a little bit more 'alien' looking (at least from my Western European perspective), they are a little 'busier' looking, visually, and so just not as cute.

To me, the visual appeal is a very significant thing. If anything wants to rival Pokémon I think it has to at least match the visual appeal of Pokémon, and while I think the overall presentation in Yokai Watch is excellent, the visual appeal of the brand, as represented by Jibanyan, is not as strong as that of Pikachu, for example.

I don't know anything about Monster Farm though.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Anti-Matter

@gcunit
Ah, i see.
Some of Yokai Watch monster design was too weird or quite creepy somehow, the reason of less appealing for certain peoples.

I grew up by other monster taming games like Monster Rancher 2 on PS1 during Playstation era. I didn't even know about Pokemon games, only knew 1st Pokemon movie. Even during PS2 / Gamecube era, i played Monster Rancher 4 PS2. And thus i have quite a lot knowledge about Monster Rancher / Farm.

The other monster monster taming games i knew were Zettai Onkan Otoda Master on NDS and Moco Moco Friends on 3DS.
Both of them using 3 vs 3 style battle. Otoda Master monsters are unique, they were created from your voice or any sound with different tones and loudness so you have to say something or scream or make any sound / noises to regenerate the monster. Their abilities can be learnt by collecting some melody fragments (Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do) after battles.

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Recently, i got into Yokai Watch 1 3DS hype. Yesterday, i have beaten first form of McKraken and 2nd time Slimmander. I got Shogunyan for completing 8 befriended Yokais.
Also, i have reached chapter 3 for Yokai Watch 3 Tempura. Despite i didn't really understand what were the characters said but as long i follow the direction arrow, i quite grasping the gameplay. I still couldn't find Yokai Watch 3 USA / PAL version as the price on Ebay was insane due to limited amount of copies but by playing the Japanese version, i want to know how deep is my interest with Yokai Watch 3, even if someday i can get Yokai Watch 3 English version in physical. I measured first by playing the Japanese version as i have to used to see Japanese letters for other Yokai games on 3DS (Sangokushi, Busters 2) which they are Japanese version only.

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Untitled

WooHoo...!!! 😀😀😀
I got 1 Rare Yokai (Robokoma) and 2 Level 50 rank D / E Yokais (i named him Pillow and Baseball) from rare coins i scanned from QR codes.
I was playing Yokai Watch 3 Tempura.
I also got Mega Exporb from Crank a Kai that given my Robokoma 8000 Exp.
I want to rename my Yokai Ghostess (i named her 6 Arms) with Lady Six after i thought for 2nd time.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

I met Mr Goodsight at Aobara from Yokai Watch 3 Tempura yesterday after i have finished Terror Time, got 4 Oni orbs and got Takoyaki Yokai from Crank a Kai after finishing Terror Time trial. I haven't continued the progress at Aobara after met Mr Goodsight as i felt sleepy after i played quite a lot Yokai Watch 3DS games yesterday.
Even i had two Yokais with level 50 in my team, they were still Loafing around during battle but their physical attacks were pretty good. I need to translate the Japanese / Kanji letters from Yokai attitudes and compared with English version so i can give them the items that can their attitudes and no more loafing around.

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Is anyone still playing Yokai Watch 3DS games ?
Recently i got into the hype and thinking about getting all Yokai 3DS games even the Japanese only like Yokai Sangokushi, Busters 2.
I enjoyed Yokai Watch 1 and 3 Tempura rather than Pokemon games as Yokai Watch games are 3 vs 3 oriented (it has more strategy to manage the Yokai) and i can directly use higher rank level Yokais without restriction when i get them from Crank a Kai (but they will be started from level 1), unlike Pokemon games that you need some Gym leader badges to able give direct command to certain high level Pokemons.

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Oh, gosh.
I have reached rank S for Yokai Watch 1 3DS. 😀
I have spent almost 40 hours to finish the storyline and upgraded my rank into S.
Time for hunting very rare Yokais and some Jibanyan to be fused into different looking Jibanyan. Last time i accidentally fused Jibanyan with Coughkoff (i called it COVID) and it looked awful to see Thornyan as the result. 😣

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Just now i have reached Chapter 4 on Yokai Watch 3 Tempura 3DS. 😀
Last mission at Supermarket wasn't really fun as i still have dislikeness with zombie creatures even the tamest version for kids. 🙄
And when i had mission in supermarket by dashing on the slide, i was thinking that was like Rabbids Go Home Wii. 😗
Steering the shopping cart wasn't as smooth as steering bicycle and it made me feel the way i will play Rabbids Go Home Wii.
Also, i have upgraded the rank into Rank D.

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Wooow...!!! 😲😲😲
I have obtained 3 Rare Yokai on Yokai Watch 3 Tempura 3DS from Treasure medals this afternoon. 😀
Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Not bad looking Yokai, though they are still level 1.

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic