Forums

Topic: General 3DS Games Topic

Posts 241 to 260 of 313

NintendoByNature

Alright Atlus fans, all the big atlus 3ds games are on sale right now. I've never played a single one of them, so I need some advice and recommendations. For $10 and under, they seem like a great deal to take a flier on. With that said, of all the 3ds atlus games, which 1 game would you absolutely recommend to get for a beginner. Think in terms of beginner friendly and simple to grasp. Of course, gameplay and story are important as well. Let me know please. Thanks in advance.

NintendoByNature

Cynas

@NintendoByNature My recommendation is easily Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology. That one is definitely in my top 5 3DS games. If you want to get into the Shin Megami Tensei series, you could pick up SMT IV as well. The beginning of SMT IV is a bit difficult, but it gets easier when you start to get healing skills.

Edited on by Cynas

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

NintendoByNature

@Cynas awesome I had my eye on that. Which version of IV though? I saw a few of them

NintendoByNature

Cynas

@NintendoByNature Just the basic SMT IV. There's also SMT IV: Apocalypse which is a sequel, so if you end up liking SMT IV you can try that out out too.

Cynas

NintendoByNature

@Cynas thanks. Got some decisions then. Have you tried the persona games as well?

NintendoByNature

Cynas

@NintendoByNature Yeah I've played both Persona Q and Persona Q2. They're fun games that use the same formula as Etrian Odyssey. They're full of fanservice and references, so I'd mostly just recommended them if you've played Persona 3, 4, and 5. If you want to try a similar game, you could try one of the Etrian Odyssey games instead. They're generally less story driven and more focused on dungeon exploration and team building, so it depends if you like that kind of style of game.

Edited on by Cynas

Cynas

NintendoByNature

@Cynas gotcha thanks. Might go with either SMT IV or radiant historia

NintendoByNature

Ralizah

@NintendoByNature SMT IV and Etrian Odyssey IV.

SMT IV: Apocalypse is actually the better and more accessible game, but it also kinda spoils aspects of SMT IV, so you might not want to play that first.

EOIV is the easiest and most accessible game in that particular series, and it also has awesome music (as do all of them, really, as the legendary Yuzo Koshiro works on this series, but I have a particular attachment to this OST).

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NintendoByNature

@Ralizah sweet. I already grabbed radiant historia but I might grab EO or SMT still.

NintendoByNature

Ninfan

Does anyone play "hey pikmin 3DS", if so is there any online play with it ?

Ninfan

NintendoByNature

Finally dediced to take the plunge on fire emblem: awakening after loving three houses as much as I did. I'm currently working my way through XC2, but I kind of want to start this game asap. I guess I'll just be playing arceus a little later than everyone else with these 2 games currently on my plate 🤣

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Maximumbeans

@NintendoByNature Let us know how it goes! Awakening was my first FE game and I adore it so much. It'll definitely feel very different to 3H and probably more restrictive, but the capacity to team build is great.

Hang on to your youthful enthusiasms - you'll be able to use them better when you're older.

3DS Friend Code: 0490-8421-1170

NintendoByNature

@Maximumbeans i absolutely love it so far. I've been playing it more than xc2 the last few nights. I can see what you mean by being more restricted than 3H. Nonetheless, what it does super well is that fire emblem combat I really love. Plus the characters and story thus far. I already got my first optional character to join too!!

A couple of questions:
-are the paralogues just optional? Or required?

• I saw some island in the south that was DLC. I'm assuming its also just a side quest type of thing, yes?
  • how do the other games on 3ds stack up to awakening? I think there's what, 3 more? Fates, conquest and shadows or something? I'll probably get them down the line. I've seen some physical on Amazon for retail price still and not overpriced.

NintendoByNature

Maximumbeans

@NintendoByNature That's awesome, I know that going backwards can sometimes make the older games pale by comparison but glad to know you're enjoying it. It's such a relaxing game in its own way.

• Paralogues are completely optional, the only setback to not completing them is that you don't get the extra characters or the loot that might only appear in those maps. For Lunatic difficulty, some people would say they're essential but I don't want to say why depending on how far you're in - wouldn't want to spoil anything.
  • If you mean the Outrealm Gate thing that's essentially the in-game DLC store, yeah that's optional if you want to buy stuff but you don't need any of it for your game. There is some free Spotpass content that you can get too, I'd recommend grabbing that just to get some more playtime out of your game.
  • Fates is split into three different routes. Overall the game is like Awakening with a much worse story but even deeper class system. Birthright is about the same kind of difficulty and rather straightforward in terms of objectives, it's mostly 'rout the enemy'. You can redo maps like with the Risen in Awakening. Conquest is very challenging and more diverse with defence, escape, and capture maps thrown in. Exp and gold is limited so every level up counts. Revelation is kind of in a weird space, it's about as easy as Birthright and you get one big roster from both games which ends up being huge, but the story is probably the weirdest for that route.
    Shadows of Valentia is a remake of Fire Emblem Gaiden. It plays differently in that the class system doesn't really let you reclass units as diversely but it's fully voice acted, the music is absolutely gorgeous, and the art is beautiful. It's easily one of my favourite ever games and it's almost like a playable storybook. It's just wonderful IMO.

Hang on to your youthful enthusiasms - you'll be able to use them better when you're older.

NintendoByNature

@Maximumbeans that clears up everything thank you very much! Got a 2.5 hour road trip today so I'll probably play some more.

NintendoByNature

Cynas

Maximumbeans wrote:

Shadows of Valentia is a remake of Fire Emblem Gaiden. It plays differently in that the class system doesn't really let you reclass units as diversely but it's fully voice acted, the music is absolutely gorgeous, and the art is beautiful. It's easily one of my favourite ever games and it's almost like a playable storybook. It's just wonderful IMO.

Totally agree with Shadows of Valentia. It's my favourite Fire Emblem game, and one of my favourite 3DS games. Mechanically it's pretty different from the other FE games and doesn't involve as much intricacies, but the story is pretty charming, the VA is great, it has my favourite art style of the FE games, and the presentation is so polished.

I actually preferred the magic system in that game where you learn new spells as you level up, and the spells costing HP to use instead.

Cynas

Maximumbeans

Cynas wrote:

Totally agree with Shadows of Valentia. It's my favourite Fire Emblem game, and one of my favourite 3DS games. Mechanically it's pretty different from the other FE games and doesn't involve as much intricacies, but the story is pretty charming, the VA is great, it has my favourite art style of the FE games, and the presentation is so polished.

I actually preferred the magic system in that game where you learn new spells as you level up, and the spells costing HP to use instead.

Great point with the magic system, I agree with that too. The only thing that is a bit of a shame is that lots of the maps are brain dead simple but then I remind myself I don’t revisit SoV to be necessarily challenged.

Maximumbeans

@NintendoByNature you’re more than welcome. It’s great to talk to someone discovering the game for the first time. Awakening helped get me through a weird patch in my life so I love it and the series by extension very much!

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature Stepping in to say that @Maximumbeans covered all the bases pretty well. If you're enjoying Awakening, the Fire Emblem Fates games are also worth a look. I'd argue they aren't as good (IMO) because of how the story routes were handled (From what I understand, FE:TH handled the branching story better), but they're still worth it for the characters and gameplay depending on route. I also third Shadows of Valentia; it's a bit of an odd duck compared to other FE titles since it's based off of Fire Emblem Gaiden, but in all the right ways; it may actually be my favorite modern Fire Emblem entry, though I admit I haven't played Three Houses yet.

As an aside, the 3D effect is great in all of them if you're into using it.

On the routes:

• Conquest - I started with this one since I had a few FE games under my belt by the time I played it. It contains some great characters and fun maps, but the plot is...not very well written. It's also the most challenging route. Played through this on Normal/Casual. (The permadeath mechanic stresses me out too much lol)
  • Birthright - This one is most like Awakening when it comes to difficulty; in fact, I played through this one on Hard/Casual without many issues. The plot is passable if a bit predictable, but the characters and maps are fairly generic and boring overall; I'd argue the Conquest side has more interesting characters.
  • Revelation - I admit I haven't played this route since, outside of a rare/scalped cartridge with all three routes in one (a contentious point with me), the only other way to play it is through buying it as DLC. This gives you characters from both routes and the "true" plot/answers to what's really going on behind the scenes in relation to the two "main" routes. However, from what I understand, the map difficulty is very inconsistent. Also, depending on who you ask, the combined plot isn't executed well.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic