Forums

Topic: General 3DS Games Topic

Posts 261 to 280 of 307

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx sweet deal. Thank you again for the very thorough explanation. 3H sold me on the entire series. It's probably a top 10 game for me of all time, so itll be hard to top it, but the gameplay is great in the series, regardless of story or side quests. So I'll definitely check out the other entries.

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature You're welcome! Amazing turn based gameplay and excellent music are two constants throughout the FE titles I've played; most modern entries usually have a decent plot too. For reference, outside of 3H the only other localized titles I haven't played are the Tellius games on GCN and Wii (Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn; both cost a pretty penny). Awakening was Intelligent Systems's last-ditch attempt at the time in order to reach a wider audience via accessibility. That game's demo sank its hooks into me, and I've been a fan of the series since.

Most modern entries outside the Fates and Tellius entries are self-contained. Awakening and Shadows of Valentia are indirectly related for reasons I won't spoil, but none of this occurs within the main story. Though starting with Awakening was a good idea.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy, XC2: Torna - The Golden Country

Feel free to send me a Switch friend request, but please tell me first. Otherwise, I probably won't accept.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx perfect then! I can't wait to give the others a go in the very near future. We just went out of town to the dells for a mini vacation, and I brought both my 2ds and switch with intentions of playing both xc2 and awakening. Turns out I only played awakening lol. I'm on chapter 12 I believe? And about 7 hours in.

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature Your enthusiasm makes me want to revisit Awakening; it has been several years since I last played it. I just played Shadows of Valentia last year, so that one's still somewhat fresh in my mind.

I hope you continue to enjoy Chrom and Co.! Glad you slid in a mini vacation, conversely I've hardly gamed the last couple days other than a half hour stint with Ori and the Will of the Wisps yesterday evening. Darn adulting.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy, XC2: Torna - The Golden Country

Feel free to send me a Switch friend request, but please tell me first. Otherwise, I probably won't accept.

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx do it! I really want to revisit 3H and do a different route this time. I'm thinking the golden deer or whatever they were called( i can't remember lol). They're the archers mostly from whay I recall. The other route were Mages which sound pretty difficult for me.

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature Lol I might when my 3DS portion of the backlog thins more! I still have a few backlogged RPGs yet. Not sure which 3H route I want first. Maybe Black Eagles or Blue Lions.

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx yea for sure. Plus I bought etrian odyssey 4 and radiant historia on the recent sale. So im pretty backlogged myself.

Blue lions is supposed to be the easiest route but i had a great time with the cast of characters and abilities. Some really good twists and turns too.

Ughhhh!! I really want to try the other routes!!

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature Two games I also ironically have backlogged! I picked up Etrian Odyssey 4 digital and luckily picked up Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology physical back before its price went through the roof; I think in early to mid 2019?

The completionist in me wants to play all the routes in Three Houses, but the more reasonable part of me doesn't want to sink that much time into the same game over and over again either. I believe there are four routes? Though there's apparently a way to speed through the first half?

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx wow I didn't know that if true! Now I'll do some late night reading and see what that's all about.

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature Heh, whoops! I intentionally don't know any details, but that's a number I've seen floating around.

NintendoByNature

@Maximumbeans @Tyranexx making some real solid headway in the game. I'm at chapter 15. I've noticed it's been getting a little tougher. Wondering if I should do some of these paralogues now to level up a bit. Some of my mains like chrom or Robin I rarely get EXP for since they're so vital to progression of the chapter, that I'm afraid to put them out there in battle.

The other thing I've noticed is that I've done some class changes but it won't let me use the weapon I've changed classes to. For instance, I changed one character who was a mage of some kind( forgot the name, but ill update when i recall), to an archer and put a bow in their arsenal and they weren't able to use it. I think the same situation has happened with someone else in my party too.

Another question, Is if you can repair weapons? I recall you could do that in 3H If I'm correct. I noticed you can forge weapons, and that's just to make them more powerful yes?

Other than some little quirks like that, the games still amazingly fun.

NintendoByNature

Maximumbeans

@NintendoByNature Sounds about right. You're at the point in the game where enemies will be higher classes and have the tougher stats that come with it. Myrmidons will be replaced with swordsmasters, dark mages will now give way to dark knights, etc. Don't be too afraid to feed levels to Chrom and Robin – you want them to be tough, usually tougher than the rest of the army.

About not being able to use weapons, it might be that their rank is insufficient. For instance, a character who changes from, say, thief to mage who has never used magic before, will only have an E rank in magical tomes. That means they can only use tomes like basic fire, and need to get in some practice before they can use stronger things. You'll see this advancement as you get told that 'X has gained a D rank in tomes' (up from their previous E rank). Grinding previous levels where Risen have popped up are ideal for budging up these ranks, but they do take a while compared to support levels between characters.

You can't repair weapons, you can only replace them once they've been used up and break. Mercenaries get a rather nice skill which gives them a chance (based on their luck) to not consume a 'charge' of their weapon when they attack. I think it's called armsthrift, if memory serves. Sometimes I make a unit a mercenary early on to get that skill, then change them into a different line so I have something like a swordsmaster who ends up getting a nice extra bit of longevity from their weapons.

Glad you're still having good fun with it! I think there's so much depth to building and managing your army that it can keep your interest all the way through in a way that some games struggle to do.

Hang on to your youthful enthusiasms - you'll be able to use them better when you're older.

3DS Friend Code: 0490-8421-1170

NintendoByNature

@Maximumbeans awesome explanation dude, thank you very much! I recently changed Chrom and Robin's class so I'll start to build them up a little more.

Noted on the weapons/repair..as well as not being able to use weapons. Makes sense now.

My 3 faves in battle have been Lon'qu, Frederick and Vaike(sp?). I can roll them out and trust they'll destroy everything in their path.

Now to just level up some of my weaker party members so they can start doing the same.

I might do a Paralogue or two as well as previous levels with risen.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Maximumbeans

@NintendoByNature You’re totally welcome! I’m sure you’ve noticed by the pair up mechanic is also stupidly strong so that helps prop up weaker members in battle.

That’s the great thing about the game, some people say certain units aren’t any good but I think pretty much anyone has the potential to become a total monster by late game. Lon’qu has always been a great one for me!

Paralogues would be a good idea. Especially because you then get the child units with a skill from each parent.

Hang on to your youthful enthusiasms - you'll be able to use them better when you're older.

Fizza

Anyone ever play that old 3DS Lego Ninjago game, Shadows of Ronin? It did not run well AT ALL and could be finicky to play at times but I played it so much as a kid, having a Lego game I could play on the go was mindblowing to me at the time and I cherish it deeply to this day. The levels were also much bigger than I expected for it being on the 3DS which still to this day is one of my favourite things about it. The nostalgia is strong with this one.

Currently Playing: Pokemon Legends Arceus/Shield
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Splatoon 2
Balloon Fight/Donkey Kong Country
Currently performing a summoning circle for a 2nd Ace Attorney Trilogy
446/488 in Brilliant Diamond Nat Dex
PLA Shinies: 85

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature I don't have much to add to @Maximumbeans 's awesome explanation. The nice thing about Awakening is that the skirmishes with Risen, as well as the Paralogues, are great for grinding up weaker units. You definitely want Chrom and Robin (or whoever you named your MC) to be powerhouses. Lon'qu, Frederick, and Vaike made it onto my main group too. I was also fond of using Sully, Kellam, Tharja, Sumia, Donnel (raised right), Cordelia, Gaius, and Panne. I agree, most of the characters in Awakening are pretty useful, depending on investment.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Cynas

Fizza wrote:

Anyone ever play that old 3DS Lego Ninjago game, Shadows of Ronin? It did not run well AT ALL and could be finicky to play at times but I played it so much as a kid, having a Lego game I could play on the go was mindblowing to me at the time and I cherish it deeply to this day. The levels were also much bigger than I expected for it being on the 3DS which still to this day is one of my favourite things about it. The nostalgia is strong with this one.

I was already in my 20s when that released so I don't have any nostalgia for that game in particular, but I totally understand the sentiment. There are plenty of games from my childhood I fondly remember, only to find out later they were completely panned by critics. I still love them, but if it wasn't for the nostalgia factor I'm sure I would be way more critical towards them.

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

Maximumbeans

@Tyranexx Thanks for the kind words, nice to see someone else likes using Panne! I never pass her up, she's a total monster when you let her run! And Donny goes without saying, of course.

I never have tried the game on Lunatic, don't know if it would be fun or if I'd just end up hating it.

NintendoByNature

@Maximumbeans @Tyranexx I've been using Panne alot too. Thanks to your recommendations, I played 4 paralogues last night and a couple chapters with risen. So I beefed up my party really well. Crushed chapter 15 with ease.

Circling back to thjara...I understood what you said about her changing classes and not being able to use bows, but no matter what I equip for her( magic originally I believe she used ), it won't let her do any attacks. Not sure what I did wrong honestly. Any ideas?

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic