Launching next month on Nintendo Switch is Silk, a new RPG that is said to offer the "biggest handcrafted open world of all time".
Supposedly fifty times larger than The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall, the game will have you exploring three million square miles of uncharted terrain from Roman Damascus to Three Kingdoms China as an intrepid traveller or a ruthless conqueror. You can get a glimpse of its world in the trailer above.
If you're intrigued, make sure to check out this feature list and selection of screenshots; exploring isn't the only thing you'll be doing:
- Explore the vast expanse of the Silk Road in an epic journey across dangerous wilderness as The Traveller.
- Overthrow Rome's greatest enemy, the powerful Parthian Empire, as The Rebel.
- Master the art of raiding to capture the fortunes of rival kingdoms as The Warlord.
- Carve out a trading empire between the brutal battlegrounds of the Silk Road as The Noble.
- Level up any seven of the thousands of Advisors in the game as you hire your perfect party, each of which unlocks hundreds of unique choices in the world
- Battle, Trade, or Explore: play the game your way as you amass a well-provisioned caravan or build your own renegade army
- Discover the lost genre of tile-based RPGs (Eye of the Beholder, The Bard’s Tale) remastered for the twenty first century
“This is a game I've wanted to make for most of my career, but it never felt like the right time.” says game designer Chris Bateman. “There's never been a stronger fanbase for innovative and unusual indie games, and Silk is just not like anything else out there – it reboots the lost genre of the exploration RPG for the 21st century, and offers everyone the chance to take an amazing journey on the Ancient Silk Road."
No specific release date has been set just yet, but keep an eye out for it appearing on the eShop next month. In the meantime, why not share your thoughts with us in the comments below?