We know, movie tie-ins for Nintendo consoles don't normally get the pulse racing. Yet based on the number of them that grace the big N's hardware they're evidently popular, and we must say that Cars 3: Driven to Win might turn out rather well.
That's not necessarily a surprise, as Avalanche Studios has produced it - that team previously delivered the rather impressive Disney Infinity before the toys-to-life series got cancelled. Now an updated gameplay trailer shows off this Cars 3 game; it's coming to both Switch and Wii U alongside other systems, though the Wii U version won't have the 4-player co-op mode that's briefly showcased.
There's also been a press release with some details.
6 Thrilling Game Modes:
- Race: Players can hop onto the tracks and race against Lightning McQueen and the gang to rev up for the ultimate challenge.
- Stunt Showcase: Players can race off of ramps to catch air and perform as many tricks as possible before time runs out, earning points for successful tricks and safe landings.
- Best Lap Challenge: Players can race against their own best time, as they attempt to set a new track record.
- Playground: An area where players can go racing, perform stunts and engage in challenges, or simply drive around for fun at their own pace. There are no rules!
- Takedown: Collect and use a variety of power-ups to eliminate as many crash karts as possible, and when time runs out, the player with the most points wins.
- Battle Race: Players are able to collect and use power-ups, putting their cars to the test in races against family and friends to become the Ultimate Champion.
4 Master-Level Events, versus Mater the Greater, Miss Fritter, Chick Hicks & Jackson Storm.
It looks like it could be a fun game, especially for younger gamers - even us older gamers have licensed games in our retro collections that, really, are only there because of the brand. By those standards Cars 3 seems to have potential.
Do you think this one is looking good?