Weirdness: 3D-Printed Game Boy-Themed Case Covers Raspberry Pi

Posted by Karen Halloran

Far more sensible than whipped cream

The credit-card sized educational computer Raspberry Pi encourages electronics hobbyists to find interesting and fun ways to extend the machine’s capabilities; to celebrate the Game Boy’s 25th anniversary Adafruit user Noe Ruiz has posted an extensive tutorial on how to build a 3D-printed Game Boy-themed case for the Raspberry Pi, dubbed the PiGRRL.

Although it won’t replicate the true Game Boy liquid crystal greenish-yellow Tetris experience, the Raspberry Pi is emulator-friendly and can run retro game ROMs easily, as shown in the video below — we're aware of the grey moral area (you should always own the originals and so on) but this is rather cool:

Remember: if you’re brave enough to try this, be sure to be or ask an adult before burning yourself on the soldering iron.

Wish you had a Game Boy / Girl like this? Think this is a good rainy day project? Have a sudden craving for pie? Let us know in the comments!

[via screenburn.kotaku.com]

Windy

Windy said:

I have a Raspberry PI that I've never fired up. I mean too but when I go to the website I haven't found a reason too other than messing with software which I haven't done in a longtime

hypercoyote

hypercoyote said:

Why does it feel like everyone has forgotten that ROMs are mostly illegal (most people don't own the original carts)? However, very cool mod.

GamecubeComplex

GamecubeComplex said:

I don't get why they kept showing shots of her butt. She wasn't the kind of person that would have made that enjoyable. Eck.

GamecubeComplex

GamecubeComplex said:

@hypercoyote I've never been an emulator person. Makes me feel guilty. Might try it with some games that are far more expensive than I would like (like that Cubivore GCN game), or weren't released in the states, like Mother 1 and 3.

Josaku

Josaku said:

one thing that lets me step away from this . . . the screensize. . . playing SNES or NES games on such a small screen has to be so hard on your eyes. I can't see myselfe buying or supporting this because of the formfactor and the fact that ROMs are illegal in most cases

mystman12

mystman12 said:

I've been interested in getting a Pi before, but I've never taken the plunge. I guess I'm satisfied with Petit Computer.

GamecubeComplex

GamecubeComplex said:

@6ch6ris6 As I've said before, matter of perspective. Considering she was in no way attractive, I didn't enjoy the butt shaking. She was actually ugly. Just like the whole 'Krysta is hot' thing that plagued the E3 chats. I didn't get it.

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@FalconPunch Completely agree with your first comment. She's a total Butterface. Then again, we also have to be honest and say that it's a taste thing. There will definitely be some people that will have a different view. As for Nintendo Minute's Krysta: that is probably more a thing if you're into Asian women and I too have to say that she's far from unattractive, but my Nintendo E3 cutie award goes to the blonde girl, although her awful laughter somewhat horrified me... ;)
EDIT: The girl's name is Audrey Drake, self titled "in-house Princess of Nintendo USA" (according to her Twitter account). She also writes for IGN. If you dare to watch, then go see and hear. Around the 36 seconds mark you'll get what I mean with "horrifying laughter". And it only get's worse later on... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi8a4c5JEQ4
ON TOPIC:
Looks like a funny little project. Always been intrigued by the Raspberry Pi, but was never really sure what I could do with it, so good to get some examples. In ads for the Pi itself all you get to see is a tiny motherboard with circuits and wires, and no casing whatsoever. Made it look too techy for me. Although I do agree with an earlier comment that the screen looks way too small.

Wouwter

Wouwter said:

@Josaku It can play gameboy games as well, maybe even gameboy advance games. I don't think you can play snes games on it, needs more buttons.

GamecubeComplex

GamecubeComplex said:

@TheRealThanos Later, I said it was taste. I don't know what you're talking about when you say 'the blonde girl', because I kinda picked and chose with what parts of the Treehouse Live broadcasts.

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@FalconPunch The taste comment was no attack, just an observation. And as for the girl: check my edit and the video link I posted. You might wanna mute the sound a bit to safe your ears from the soul damaging laughter, though... ;)

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@FalconPunch At one point I even started to think that they may have sound sampled her laughter to use it for the fountain faerie from Ocarina of Time... ;)
@OorWullie. Well, there's also people that will find you or me unattractive. It's just a difference in taste, nothing to get upset about. People have different interests is all.

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@FalconPunch Maybe I over-prepared you a bit, sort of like damage control. After my comments the laughter wasn't that awful to you. Now imagine taking her to a family birthday party for the first time for all your family to enjoy the laughter... ;)

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

@TheRealThanos Yes of course but I think name calling when the writers clearly going to read the comments and is a member here is a bit out of order.If your avatar was a photo of yourself and I replied with "I agree with your point but Christ man you are 1 ugly F'r.What happened?'' .Yep,nothing to get upset about!

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@OorWullie Well, maybe the language used on forums and websites is sometimes a little harsh, and I'll be the first to admit that it's easier to comment this way than in real life, which is something we all know, by the way. If your hunch is really true and the writer is the woman in the video, then I would say that I'm sorry that I was a bit direct in stating my opinion on her not being that aesthetically pleasing to my eyes... ;)
But seriously, I'm 44 years old and I have a good life, so I'll be damned before I get upset about some anonymous guy or girl on the internet who says that I'm ugly. I really could not be bothered less and it will definitely NOT ruin my day. Heck, there will even be people that don't like my avatar while I think it is the best. Who cares? I certainly don't. To some people I probably AM an ugly fugger. Still nothing going on. No raised heartbeat, no rage mode, no aggressive thoughts. Just a chuckle and a bit of head shaking at the ridiculousness of it all. Other than that I wish them well.

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@FalconPunch We sure did. I am already looking for the bottle with the label that says "drink me". By the way, I still didn't entirely get your previous reaction. (#18) You'll have to forgive me: American living in Europe, so it's getting a bit late here: 1.36 am.

GamecubeComplex

GamecubeComplex said:

@TheRealThanos You said: "OorWullie. Well, there's also people that will find you or me unattractive. It's just a difference in taste, nothing to get upset about. People have different interests is all."

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@FalconPunch Aha, well like I said: it's getting late here. I was looking for a connection to my "Now imagine taking her to a family birthday party for the first time" comment. So you skipped that one. Hence the slight confusion on my part...

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

@FalconPunch I'm from California originally. Now living in Amsterdam. Trying to stay awake by watching reruns of Ridiculousness on MTV, Enjoy your breakfast. Most important meal of the day... Oh wait: 7 pm... ;)

SuperMikey

SuperMikey said:

"Wish you had a Game Boy / Girl like this?"
..... Y U DO DIS 2 MII N LIFE!!! XD

EDIT: I like how a lot of the guys above are staying "on topic." ;)

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

Heh, that's pretty cool. I want to get a Raspberry Pi for my niece once she gets a bit older....would be fun to try this project with her.