Video: Watch Samus, Mario And Link Duke It Out In Super Smash Bros. For The Wii U

Posted by Damien McFerran

The gloves are off

If you read our impressions of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U yesterday then you'll be aware of the fact that it's shaping up to be pretty special indeed.

To confirm this a little more, allow us to present some off-screen footage captured at Nintendo UK's recent post-E3 event in London, England. In it, you'll see plenty of cartoon violence and irrefutable evidence that this game looks gorgeous.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

UP B.
Also were the people playing using GCN controllers?
Edit: Never mind I can see the little controller icon.

Pika2346

Pika2346 said:

@Damo Do you reckon the skill-cap for SSB4 is as high as SSBM? It's hard for me to compare as I only watch pros play Melee (no offense!) with all their dash-dancing shizzle.

Yosher

Yosher said:

That Link player was the only one who remotely knew what he was doing, haha.

Sandstorm64

Sandstorm64 said:

Sakurai just posted on Miiverse about a live stream revealing a new challenger! Check it out!

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

I have all 3 Smash Bros games and I find the gameplay, not that enjoyable, in fact i don't even know how to play any of them properly.

It baffles me how they are so popular. I'll probably end up buying the Wiiu version so that answers that. Maybe people just buy then because of the strong line up. It is an unusual game.

@Jazzer94
The Gamecube controller build, is second to none. I can't tell you about the adaptor I'm sure it's fine.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@Blue-Thunder These are presumably newly made which is why I want to know how they match up to the originals I already know there build quality.

RogueBologna

RogueBologna said:

I'm so excited for this game, and I put well over 100 hours in Brawl and about 50 in Project M, but the thing is, even my friends who owned the game were terrible. They still won't play me because I can beat them both when they're on a team. I really hope the fancy newness of the Wii U version draws them in enough to get decent at it or I really won't have any local competition.

Neferupitou

Neferupitou said:

No one gives a dam crap about stage builder but...i,m still waiting for some news about that.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

That video was kinda hard to watch... I'm not expecting you guys to be experts or competitive, but like... have you never played a smash bros. game before?

Senario

Senario said:

@Pika2346 So far, no. Skill cap isn't nearly as high as smash bros melee. A bit concerning since the game currently looks closer to brawl than it is to melee.

@TromboneGamer No, you didn't. Mainly because we already know it is mechanically impossible to do so. Wavedashing is jump+Airdodge direction to the ground at an angle. Takes the momentum from the airdodge and that is why you slide (because in smash melee you actually retained momentum when you were moving then jumping.)

TromboneGamer

TromboneGamer said:

@Senario Yeah I understand how the mechanics of wavedashing but I thought I saw the mario producing dash clouds when moving across the stage early in the video. When I first saw how air-dodging works in this game I knew that it would be impossible.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

These guys were terrible. :P Have they ever heard of Roll & Step dodging. This video should be called Super Button Smash Bros. ;)

Alucard83

Alucard83 said:

This game is really not for me. To me it's looking boring. Going after each other to able to hit. That can take some time. Very annoying gameplay to me. Good fun for the fans :-)

sugarshack

sugarshack said:

@blue-thunder

I can't recall whether I played the Nintendo 64 version, but melee takes an abundant amount of skill to master. I recall going to a friends house one day and seen the Nintendo 64 for the first time and I never even heard of it. Speaks volumes on Nintendos marketing ability even to this day. And I was an avid gamer since I was five. And I'm certain the system has been out for a while because he had plenty of games.