Arc System Works Releases Ghostly Visual Novel Adventure On Japanese 3DS eShop

Posted by Liam Doolan

Looks sensationally spooky!

Arc System Works is bringing a ghostly adventure to the 3DS eShop in the form of a mystery visual novel entitled Ghost Detective: Shida’s Ayakashi Case Book – which also translates to "Mononoke Detective" in Japanese.

The game’s trailer reveals players will take on the role of ghost detective Shida Mori, who has been assigned to investigate "ayakashi cases" with partner and fiancée Shiho Kitakitan, and assistant shapeshifting cat, Shiro. The events of the title will take place during the Taisho era at the capital of flowers, where unexplainable incidents have reportedly been happening.

The overall goal is to seal away the "Mononoke". To achieve this, players will be required to solve cases by talking to characters and collecting items as evidence. These tasks will provide clues that lead to the eventual kanji spelling of the ghost's name.

Mononoke Detective: Shida’s Ayakashi Case Book has just been released on the Japanese 3DS eShop for 800 Yen. Currently, there's no word on localisation, but based on the track record of Arc System Works, there is a possibility. With western gamers' hunger for series such as Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton, Ghost Detective looks like it would fit in perfectly over here.

Let us know in the comments if you would like to see this one make its way across to the west.

[via siliconera.com]

Jollykarp

Jollykarp said:

I love spirit detective genre so much... I'm worried it won't arrive just because it's a visual novel though :( not many people in the west appreciate them

ShanaUnite

ShanaUnite said:

I wouldn't mind if this came here. I mean visual novels are pretty fun after all.

Excep7ional

Excep7ional said:

This is awesome. I love Visual novels after I played Zero Escape, and since this game has been made by Arc System as well I will be keeping an eye on it.

MelnikSuzuki

MelnikSuzuki said:

The more professional visual novels there are, the better. I really hope Arc System brings it to the west.

Action51

Action51 said:

I wish they would make another RPG like Arc Rise Fantasia for Wii U.

Get past it's awful voice acting, and it's a really great classic RPG with brutally difficult bosses.

RinCartwright

RinCartwright said:

Arc System Works!? That can only mean that this absolutely must be localized! (Along with Clone Phantasma)

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Defiitely looks good so far. If the gameplay and story / humor can hold up to the nice artstyle and the charming animations this one could really be great.