Miiverse Gets a Minor Update for Wii U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Buttons now do different things!

Updates to the Wii U and 3DS are a far cry from the days of the Wii and DS, when system updates were comparatively rare and tweaks and improvements to individual apps clearly weren't high on Nintendo's list of priorities. Nowadays the 3DS has frequent system updates — many of which boost "system stability" to dizzying levels of, well, stability — while the Wii U joins the club of other home consoles with fairly regular game software updates, in particular. Thankfully Nintendo had the foresight to establish Miiverse as a browser-based app, meanwhile, so it can be tweaked and updated on the fly without any onerous downloads and installations to tolerate.

The ever-evolving Miiverse has been tweaked once again, this time on the Wii U to bring it more in line with some 3DS-equivalent features. As the post from Nintendo of Europe's Marty explains, your button shortcuts on Miiverse — if you're avoiding the GamePad touch screen — have been changed.

There has been an update to Miiverse today. This update only affects the Wii U version of Miiverse, bringing it in line with the Nintendo 3DS version.

1) The button for reloading is no longer the L Button. From now on, use the Y Button to reload the current page.
2) We've added a new feature. When a community is open, you can use the L/R Buttons to quickly move up and down between posts.

Not earth-shattering changes, for sure, but if you do like to browse Miiverse with the Wii U Pro Controller occasionally, keep these button functions in mind.

[via miiverse.nintendo.net]

SteveSnowmn

SteveSnowmn said:

The only button function I want is the ability to space and backspace on the pro controller....typing with it takes a stupid amount of time, especially if you make a mistake

SteveSnowmn

SteveSnowmn said:

SuperCharlie78

SuperCharlie78 said:

They should fix the activity log, not this no-one-cares stuff.
It's so painful to return to the top of your friends' activities every time you read a post, I just gave up with Miiverse at all.

LoBo

LoBo said:

Nintendo please can we have an update that allows me to use my Wii U Pro controller with Wii games:D

Lebon14

Lebon14 said:

@LoBo It's impossible because the Wii isn't compatible with Bluetooth-like (it's not Bluetooth, but similar) components. It's like the Gamepad: the Gamepad is used as a TV but.... you need Wii peripherals to play Wii games.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

@Lebon14 Actually the Wii does use Bluetooth ;) The WiiMotes use a normal BT connection with the Wii.

It's technically possible to add Wii U Controller support to the Wii. However it's impossible to do this for existing games. As the games can only use the system IOS-es (the operating system and API of the Wii) that were supported at the time the game was created. This renders adding such a feature as useless,

Tsuzura

Tsuzura said:

The only thing I want is the ability to making sentences that are not all on the same line.

LoBo

LoBo said:

@Lebon14 it is possible , I play the wii through my wii u console , I don't mean the wii console if thats what you think I meant , we can now play wii games on the tv and game pad , but we can't use the control buttons

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Will check it out! I really had no problem using the Pro Controller on MiiVerse before, although it was much faster on the Gamepad for me.

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

There should be an update that has some type of community filter in our posts. So I can review and go back to see all my SM3DW posts, Trine 2 posts, Batman posts. Without having to hunt for posts I've done before. (If that makes since.)

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

I want an update to use the wiimote in netflix or youtube because i hate my battery is drained so fast in the gamepad.

OmegaAndres

OmegaAndres said:

What they should add in their next system update is a universal party chat like Xbox live. I want to talk to my friends while playing super smash bros, mario kart 8 and other games that have online.

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

One is able to move up and down the posts and overall navigate Miiverse using the D-pad. So no biggie with these "updates".

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

@DarkEdi Anyone who incessantly complains about the gamepad battery needs to just move the Gamepad adapter to the couch area or wherever they normally game from, and leave the cord connected while they play. Problem solved. It takes like two minutes to move the adapter from behind the entertainment system to another outlet and leave it there. You don't need to leave the gamepad plugged in when the system is off, so feel free to stow it away after you're done using the Wii-U, and just leave the adapter plugged in by the couch or wherever.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

grr so thats why i couldnt refresh no more -_- but yeah i agree the freaking activity log needs a fix it either doesnt load some post till a few refresh or it takes long to load <.<