SNES Generation Album Merges 16-Bit Sounds With Modern Game Music, and is Awesome

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

The Wind Waker's 'Outset Island' with Link to the Past sounds, oh my...

We do like a bit of top-notch video game music here on Nintendo Life, and a new retro-infused album by Alex Roe has been serenading our ears. The album SNES Generation takes modern games and recreates their music with sounds and samples from equivalent Super NES titles, with some fantastic results.

Possibly our favourite mash-ups, predictably, are "Super Mario Galaxy 'Gusty Garden Galaxy' (Super Mario World)" and "Zelda: The Wind Waker 'Outset Island' (Zelda - A Link to the Past)"; the titles alone tell you how terrific they sound.

This album is presented by Snesology, while Roe encourages anyone to download the album for free from the album's Bandcamp page, though donations are welcome. You can listen to the whole thing below, too, so check it out and post your thoughts in the comments.

Thanks to Shiryu for the tip.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

I get bored with a lot of covers and homages, but this was a really clever idea. I just wish I was more familiar with a lot of these.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Glad you guys took my tip, these guys at SNESology need more exposure, their concept and execution is just plain awesome! =)

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

Going to check this out when I get back from work I could do with a musical trip down memory lane

Mahe

Mahe said:

Several bad games with boring music. SNES sounds can't help crap like Lords of Shadow. It's a chore to listen to such ill-fitting arrangements that have little to do with the game whose style they purportedly use. Actual Contra III music sounds much better than Max Payne 3, even with a borrowed soundfont.

Moorpheel

Moorpheel said:

Don't get me wrong, whoever made these is obviously pretty good at this... But for some reason I get no enjoyment nor nostalgia from these.

Azikira

Azikira said:

Guhh, I am suffering from Nostalgia-overload!
lays on the ground, twitching and foaming at the mouth

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

Gusty Garden and Outset island were fantastic. I would love to hear other modern songs get this treatment.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

This is really cool, actually. Now I'm definitely intrigued. Outset and Batman were my favorite samples.

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

This is amazing, I've heard of remastering song but this is such cool idea.

MuchoMochi

MuchoMochi said:

The very idea that Chrono Trigger is attached to Assassin's Creed is pretty mind baffling to me. Not a huge fan of that series. That being said this is still pretty cool.

Mystemo

Mystemo said:

I didn't like most of them, but that's mostly because I just don't like most modern game music. The Mario Galaxy tune was sort of nice though.

bahooney

bahooney said:

I'm a huge sucker for SNES midi tones. This was great. Really well done, perfectly captured each instrument.

Pichubby

Pichubby said:

I only cared about the zelda and smb ones, but that was pretty cool.
OC remix on youtube does some stuff like this.

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

The Zelda and Mario one were the most relevant and actually the most full and believable sounding. I don't see any point in doing many of the other games especially since the attached games have no relation.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Gusty Gardens worked far better than Outset Island for me. The others I just wasn't familiar enough with.