Rumour: Pikachu 3DS XL Already In US Stores, March 24th Release Mooted

Posted by Damien McFerran

Update - Nintendo confirms release date and price

Nintendo has now confirmed that the Pikachu 3DS XL will be released on March 24th in North America. In will include a 4GB SD card — as is standard for the XL model — and will have a suggested retail price of $199.99.

Original article

Nintendo's recent TV commercial for Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity hinted that the gorgeous yellow Pikachu 3DS XL that Japanese and European players have been enjoying for a while now was heading to North America, and yesterday's news that the official Pokémon Facebook and Twitter accounts are both teasing a Pikachu-related announcement added even more momentum to this viewpoint.

Today, we could have had the final word. An image of the console — in North American packaging — has appeared online, suggesting that the system is already in the hands of retailers across the country. A release date of March 24th — the same day that Gates to Infinity launches, no less — has also been mentioned.

Although this is still a rumour at present, the chances of a North American launch are pretty high now.

[via gonintendo.com, cheapassgamer.com]

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

I knew it wouldn't be too long til we saw this in stores when they started playing the commercial for it.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I'm curious as to why we haven't heard about it at all from NA?!

This might be something I pick up for my son down the road. Looks awesome but I wouldn't be caught dead holding that thing in public! :P

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

To tell the truth, I couldn't care less. I've already got the best model of 3DS or XL, the red original 3DS! I actually hate the design of XLs and I'd just get another 3DS if my original broke, what do y'all rich people do with your old 3DSs?

domdom87

domdom87 said:

@Tech101 I think these are limited editions. Just be wary of stock if you're going to get this at a later date, otherwise you'll be looking at jacked up prices on ebay.

Zemus-DJ

Zemus-DJ said:

@PvtOttobot Same, I got the black day one model, which is in use, and the new midnight purple model still in box ready to transfer system when that time comes, 5years from now or so lol :)

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@domdom87 Yeah I know but I'm counting on a re release at around the time X Y comes out. It will be close enough to my sons seventh birthday!!

k8sMum

k8sMum said:

@PvtOttobot

i have no idea what the rich people did with theirs, but i traded my original 3ds in towards my superior 3ds xl.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

it was announced this morning that it is release the same day as mystery dungeon and is in limited quantities. i hope i can still get it in april. it isn't on any retailers pages yet and is only available at toysrus, walmart, target and gamestop in NA

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

I'll never give up my little beauty! Her R button broke recently, got it repaired for free and now I have another year's warranty, I just have to break something every year and she'll last forever!

MERG

MERG said:

@Tech...what a good parent, fostering his child's video habit.

I make my kids to save their own money!

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

Poohey, and I already have a blue XL (got it at launch) so no Pikachu for me! Le sigh

snoox

snoox said:

I appreciate Pikachu & all that, but I wish they came out with a nice cool slightly older boy-ish XL, ya know? I kinda don't wanna bust that out chillin in a coffee shop, unless I was a girl or a child hehe

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@MERG I am my kids own money lol. They don't ever really get any money so there really isn't a chance for them to save up just yet.

RunningWolf

RunningWolf said:

How about releasing other colors besides the blue and red XL in NA? Pikachu XL is cool and all that but we could really use some different colors over here.

MERG

MERG said:

@Tech...yeah, we started our kids on chores. So while its still our money, at least they are earning it.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@MERG Yeah that's a good idea. Every time my 7 month old goes potty on the potty he should get a quarter. That way by the time he learns how to play video games he should have enough saved up for a 3ds and a couple of games!! :P

pariah164

pariah164 said:

I already have a classy blue 3DS XL. So, pass.

Also pass because... Pikachu nipples.Seriously, whoever designed that needs to get fired.

eLeightist

eLeightist said:

As a life long Nintendo fan the only series I've never played is Pokemon. So I can't say this interests me in the slightest.

Guess I gotta keep on waiting for a black XL (or one featuring ANY other Nintendo franchise) before upgrading from my regular ol' 3DS.

Soon Nintendo, pretty please?

shinobi88

shinobi88 said:

Is it so much to ask for an all-black model?? I am a ninja, not a little boy who still wears blue or yellow

MERG

MERG said:

@Tech...and you have time to game?!?!?!?!?!? Let me know your secret as I have a 11 and 8 year old and can't seem to find the time!!!

2Sang

2Sang said:

I'm hoping for a Smash Bros. one or at least the charizard one. I don't think my college friends will laugh too much with the black charizard, at least not in comparison to the pikachu one.

FOURSIDE_BOY

FOURSIDE_BOY said:

Why is everyone so scared to have this 3ds xl? I'm 21, have a job, a very lovely gf, I love music and a good smoke, so basically I give a f-ck what everyone thinks of me when I play on my pikachu 3ds xl, I really want this one.

c1pher_c0mplet

c1pher_c0mplet said:

@FOURSIDE_BOY Pretty much. I understand everyone's different but really: who gives? If you enjoy something and other people think you're "weird," they go can screw themselves because honestly if you looked at a hobby or hobbies of theirs, it could be considered "weird" as well. I'm in college and take my 3DS XL w/me to campus and play between classes b/c it's how I relax and it's fun. I could care less what so-called "mature" people (which is really not the case as far as most college-aged people goes) think.

domdom87

domdom87 said:

@Tech101 totally understandable, but if you're really keen on getting the pikachu model for your son, maybe you can pick it up now and hide it in the closet for half a year haha!