Wii U Party Will Get The Family Together This Summer

Posted by Darren Calvert

Party on Nintendo!

One of the new games revealed during today’s Nintendo Direct was Wii U Party (tentative title), which is heading to Wii U this Summer and is being developed by the same team behind the original Wii Party.

It has been revealed that there will be a varity of gameplay styles on offer, and of course the GamePad will be taking centre-stage this time. A dice-rolling mini-game was shown in Iwata’s presentation, along with a cool looking version of baseball where two players can use opposite sides of the GamePad to compete with one another.

You will need to dust off your Wii Remotes too, of course, as one of the mini-games sees players tasked with pressing corresponding buttons on one of three Wii Remotes in time with the instructions on the GamePad screen.

Wii U Party looks set to bring all the family together later this year. Will it be on your pre-order list?

BenAV

BenAV said:

This looks... I don't know.
Could be interesting, but it'll probably be one of those games that I pass on due to not having enough people to play with on a regular basis.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

I might get this. I am impressed by the graphics, but its a party game and I dont normally have that many people around to play with, unless it had online, which judging from the gameplay I can safely say it doesn't have it. :/

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

@BenAV OMG ben, you gotta stop refreshing the page so much and let someone else be first in commenting a article, going all rambo on the articles today!

BenAV

BenAV said:

@undead_terror Haha, well I'm going to bed now so someone else can have the next one then, if there is one.
There used to be a new article every time I refreshed the home page so I would generally get the first comment on a daily basis but it was never really intentional.
These days I just view the articles from Facebook though and only bother really refreshing the page and reading all the articles and forums like this when I get really excited from Nintendo Direct/E3. :P

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I've played Wii Party and Nintendo Land extensively and I'd say they're quite even stevens in that social/family gaming quality and experience. Hence a Wii U Party game is major news for me and an insta-buy all the fraking way baby.

gefflt

gefflt said:

Looks a bit too much like Wii Party to me. The game was fun (and I guess it makes sense to continue the Party series) but I'm not convinced yet.

Wildvine53

Wildvine53 said:

Yay! Wii Party is still regularly played in our house,I just know we're gonna love this one!

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

I too believe Mario should have gotten a shot. Mario Party U with the ability to download most of the previous Mario Party boards and minigames. No that's too much of a good idea.

Molotov

Molotov said:

Satoru Iwata: "We Are Trying To Attract Hardcore Gamers With The Wii U"... Wii U Party!!!!

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

@Mario_Party_Fan_999 They probably looked at sales figures when making the decision, ignoring the fact that Wii Party was hardware bundled and was released when the Wii still had life.

While Mario has universal appeal would people feel Wii party games were not making enough of Mario? As in you would never get dice rolling games of chance in Mario Party (~sweeps Bowser's Big Blast to one side~)

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

I just hope they make the main board game somehow interesting. At all. I can't stand the stupid-random play of the others recent ones and they seem to spend more and more time in it. Have to admit I gave up on these awhile ago. Still, the potential is great. I've always thought these should work much better than they do. Maybe Nintendo Land has taught them something.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

@ Starwolf_UK
Are you thinking of Wii Play? I don't recall Wii Party being hardware bundled, though maybe it was in the UK.

I don't mind Mario leaving Party. I prefer the treatment of the franchises in Nintendo Land and keeping Mario sort of in his world a bit. Reducing the Mario exposure a bit and letting the other franchises spread out a bit might be a good idea. I'm sort of up in the air on this, though.

pntjr

pntjr said:

Don't we have enough Party games for this system?
NintendoLand?
Game & Wario?

And I agree 100% with @Molotov 's point.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'll have to see and learn more about this, but at least it's not another Mario Party. I like Mario Party, but Mario's getting a new 3D game and a new Mario Kart revealed at this E3. Wii U Party ought to test the waters of Wii U party games so Mario Party 10 can come a few years later to expand and improve upon it.

Konata

Konata said:

My parents won't play Videogames, unless its a party game (for my whole family to play.)
So this is a no-brainier for me, I also loved the first Wii Party.

TysonOfTime

TysonOfTime said:

Eww eww eww eww eww eww eww eww eww eww eww eww...

The first Wii Party is among the few games I actively detest.
AND THEY GAVE IT NEW LIFE.

But they are also making a new Monolith RPG <3 <3 <3

SMW

SMW said:

I didn't like Wii Party all that much when I rented it, but I'll still give Wii U Party a shot.

Icefreak45

Icefreak45 said:

I usually don't give these the time of day (more of a solo gamer) but I genuienly think this look cool :D.

jkvasn

jkvasn said:

hmmmmmmm....... now who can I get to play finger twister with me? lol.

yotambonehbait

yotambonehbait said:

I am definitely getting it day one. We've been playing wii party for years and only now is it getting a bit stale.

9-Volt

9-Volt said:

Hmm... haven't tried any party game in a while. Last I remember was mp9 so I might get it.