Rumour: iOS Smash Hit Super Hexagon Could Be Coming To 3DS

Posted by Damien McFerran

Developer Terry Cavanagh “definitely thinking about it”

If you've got an iPhone or iPod Touch then you may have already heard about Super Hexagon. Described by its creator Terry Cavanagh as a "minimal action game", it's one of those insanely addictive experiences which you intend to play for just a minute or two but end up wasting hours on.

Cavanagh - who also created the amazing VVVVVV, which was ported to the 3DS eShop recently - has already expressed an interest in bringing the game to Android, but if a recent rumour is to be believed, he's also looking into other platforms - 3DS included.

Nintendo Enthusiast is the source with the inside knowledge:

I realize this isn’t so fair because currently I’m the only one who knows about this. But, I’m still debating if my email correspondence with Terry Cavanagh is enough to go on. I offered to help him with some of the programming in order to bring over Super Hexagon to the 3DS because I’m a big fan of it and I think it would be perfectly-suited for the 3DS. He thanked me, said he doesn’t need any extra help, and added that he’d “love to bring Super Hexagon to more platforms” (i.e. 3DS) and he’s “definitely thinking about it.”

What do you think of this rumour? Would you like to see Super Hexagon come to the 3DS? Sound off in the comments - you know the drill by now.

UPDATE: Turns out this could be a false alarm. Nintendo Life user 1112e popped the question to Terry Cavanagh on Twitter at the start of this month and didn't get a very encouraging reply:

[via nintendoenthusiast.com, gonintendo.com]

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Its nice for people that want to play it on the 3DS might have the option.
But honestly I don't like the game itself :x
(or maybe playing it on a 3DS might be a different story, since I played it on the web, and I couldn't properly control the triangle...)

weirdproq

weirdproq said:

I bet EnjoyUp Games or Gamelion Studios could publish this game or some other publisher.

Birdman

Birdman said:

I'd definitely get it if it came to 3DS ... and if Terry needs to find a publisher, I'm sure Nicalis would do it, and if not them, maybe Renegade Kid. Jools seems like the type of guy who would be willing to port SH...

ReindeerDasher

ReindeerDasher said:

I may be called a fanboy, but I don't completely despise any and everything that was ever or will ever be on iOS >.<

BTW @paperluigi, there is now a Pokedex app on the App Store.

Windy

Windy said:

I think we will see alot of iOS games in the future and vise versa they will get some 3DS games and wii games. They already have done that. Not a bad thing. Only if they bring bad games :P

Henmii

Henmii said:

Doesn't look that interesting to me! And it may be overpriced, like most mobile-games on the 3DS e-shop!

VVVVVV was great fun though!