Reggie Discusses Embracing The Digital Age Ahead of Wii U Launch

Posted by Orla Madden

Delighted with developer input for the GamePad

Reggie is out in force leading up to Nintendo's next generation console release on 18th November (like you'd forgotten). Reggie appeared on the Jimmy Fallon show last night in the US to do some high-profile promotion work, and took a midnight stroll to the Nintendo World Store to meet and greet fans.

Talking with The Washington Post, meanwhile, he's explained why Nintendo wanted to grasp the digital age with Wii U, due to the popularity of downloading games content.

We prioritized the eShop because we’re seeing that, first, there’s a segment of consumers that want their games digitally on the system and don’t want the hassle, potentially, of physical discs. We’ve also seen the ongoing business opportunities with digital content. Continuous transactions with this content is something publishers especially view as critical to the ongoing monetization of their franchises.

Going digital has stirred a bit of a debate due to the large file sizes of games being downloaded from the eShop, meaning the Wii U's internal memory will fill up quickly. On another topic, Reggie is pleased at how developers are tackling the idea of the GamePad's second screen, and how it apparently enhances the multiplayer experience in Call of Duty: Black Ops 2:

What I love is that developers are utilizing the second screen of the GamePad in completely different ways.

Multiplayer in the same room has always been a challenge because of the split screen environment. But [the Wii U] multiplayer allows two players to focus on individual screens. It’s a much more fun and robust experience.

He will be making his traditional appearance at tonight's midnight launch at the Nintendo World Store in New York. As usual, we will be providing you with coverage as Wii U hits stores.

[via washingtonpost.com]

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

Aww, man. I am jealous of you Americans :( I want my Wii U too! Well, I guess I can survive for 2 more weeks :P

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

"We prioritized the eShop because we’re seeing that, first, there’s a segment of consumers that want their games digitally on the system and don’t want the hassle, potentially, of physical discs"

Don't forget the casuals and disc buyers Reggie boy. Overall, you have to hand it to Nintendo. They've evolved so, so much in such a short amount of time. Then again, they had to. Nintendo's competitors will be once again, left in the dust* and this is entirely new territory.

Out selling, out performing and forcing the direction of the next generation before it's even started. :D

*HD dust, naturally.

RCMADIAX

RCMADIAX said:

I'm very excited! Little disappointed that gamestop is not opening at midnight tho.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

Yay!!! Looks like I'm canceling my preorder tonight. Sigh* :p
Wii U launch for moi officially ruined and delayed.

Hokori

Hokori said:

Digital is better as long as you can transfer everything over for more then just one gen... Otherwise physical is better

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@HarmoKnight: And how many systems can play media as far back as two generations aside from the first PS3s and Game boy advance?

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

I hate that shrug. I hate it when a "consumer service" rep does it and I hate it when PR does it.