Nintendo Offering Real Gold To The Top New Super Mario Bros. 2 Coin Collector

Posted by Orla Madden

Real gold, you say?

The crazy fellows over at Nintendo Germany are offering a solid gold coin — worth about €220 — to the country's gamer that's collected the most coins in New Super Mario Bros. 2 by 31st December 2012.

It began with a small campaign, in which those that surpassed the one million mark and provided evidence would be awarded with prizes. The competition was originally supposed to end today, but has been extended as it's apparently gained a lot more attention than expected, with over 400 submissions so far from German Mario enthusiasts.

In order to redeem the top prize — if you're in Germany, obviously — you will have to send in a photo of your 3DS screen to prove that you've hit a grand total of 1 million gold coins collected in the game. The "Super Coin-millionaire" with the highest total at the end of the year will be rewarded with the impressive real gold coin.

We'd like to see something creative like this in other regions too, continuing the gold rush craze already in place. Would any of you be in the running to win?

[via gonintendo.com]

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

I better get back to coin collecting if there is a chance this could come to the US. Right now, I don't have that many (overall).

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

i reckon that's the best €220 they ever spent on publicity. smart move!

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

This is why the 9,999,999 coin cap is bad. Multiple people will have the most.

Should've made the coin cap 999 billion.

Magnet_Man018

Magnet_Man018 said:

@Pikachupwnage Yeah, and its unfair too. If someone has 9,999,999, then it doesn't matter how many coins you collect: If you don't have 9,999,999 you won't win. Logical flaws everywhere.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

Only in germany?

I hit the 9,999,999 coin maximum last night, by abusing the 3-4 trick.
And I could've done it way sooner if I was that concerned, I was just felt like doing it whilst I watched some shows.

Even if I didn't have the 3-4 trick I could still get to 9,999,999 by doing legit 30,000 coin runs of Mushroom-1, Flower-3, or just that Gold Rush Pack.

Edit: Heck I got a 30,000 coin record in Coin Challenge Pack A too, that should be worth something on top of that!

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

James Newton, you must win the gold! For your dignity! For the pride of Nintendo Life!

NintendoCat14

NintendoCat14 said:

GERMANY? GERMANY? I din't even know this game was released there. GERMANY? I was about to start mad-playing again... GERMANY?

nindocrash

nindocrash said:

Mario gotta melt toads down in to gold, to pay
Out spamers, who nuked the game for every last coin.

Grodus

Grodus said:

I haven't even reached 300,000 yet. I'm not in germany anyway, so...

This contest... Multiple people will tie, sending in 9,999,999 coin pics. what happens then?