Skylanders: Giants Introduces Swarm the Super-Sized Bee

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

UPDATE: Release dates confirmed

Activision has now confirmed the release dates for Skylanders: Giants, set to arrive on Wii and 3DS on 19th October in Europe and 21st October in North America.

Original article

Skylanders: Giants, the sequel to the rather successful original, is confirmed for 3DS, Wii and Wii U. That means whatever your console of choice, the opportunity to collect a lot of figures won't pass you by, which is a good thing unless you're a paying parent.

In order to keep the sequel at the forefront of our minds Activision has released a short video for a new character, Swarm. He's an over-sized bee that fires stings as projectiles, slashes anything within reach and generally looks brutishly strong: a polygon-based embodiment of sheer terror for those with a certain phobia. In any case, check out the video below to see him in action.

[via youtube.com, eurogamer.net]

Related Games

JonWahlgrenAdmin

JonWahlgren said:

Well then when they run this video in their magazine in a few years we can all say "hey, this was announced on Nintendo Life years ago"! :)

Kitsune_Rei

Kitsune_Rei said:

Looking forward to Giants though it is going to put a hurting on our pocketbook. Still havn't even seen the last character from the previous game, Wham Shell.

Chuie

Chuie said:

cant wait i loved skylanders im going to get giants on either ps3 or wii u

rjejr

rjejr said:

Looks more like a wasp than a bee. Bee's are always cute and friendly, like in that Bee movie.

Personally I don't like the look of him either way, seems too mean, more like one of the bad guys than the mostly cuddly Skylanders.

Will the PS3 portal work on the WiiU? I think it just needs a USB port. We also have the DS portal but I think it's too small for those Giant figures.

"which is a good thing unless you're a paying parent." My 7 yr. old collects these and I think he's paid for all 13 of his characters, PS3 and DS versions, and Dragon's Peak by himself with birthday money and his $1.50 weekly allowance. About $150, so it is alot for a video game. I think he'll be getting a lot for the holidays this year.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Update to my post to the update to your post.

Glad to see a release date, on a Sunday in the US, so that's kinda odd.

I know I've beaten this horse to death already, but really, as more and more multiplatform games start getting holiday release dates Nintendo really needs to get the Wii U launch date out there. Guess we'll be getting this on the PS3, my kid hated the 3DS version. Half the fun of this game is changing characters on a whim at any time, not really mobile friendly. Though maybe had he played the 3DS version first he would have enjoyed it more.

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

I'm guessing the Wii U version will be a launch title, that is if it's the same as the other console versions. I don't think we know the developer for it yet, everyone's guessing Vicarious Visions, the developer of the first Skylanders 3DS. Picking this up on Wii U and 3DS, I hope it's a launch title.

Nibelilt

Nibelilt said:

I'm sick of hearing about Skylanders. Where's that PROPER Spyro game they promised us back in '11?

Torchwood

Torchwood said:

I'm not buying Giants so I can avoid that hit to the wallet. Collecting every original Skylander was a fun experience, but it's a one time thing. It doesn't really look like there's really much different here from the original gameplay wise. I still might buy a few figures that look nice just to put on my shelf though.

Blue_Rover

Blue_Rover said:

@Kitsune_Rei I found Wham Shell which was my last one i the place I least expected it... Tescos... Was very surprised to complete my collection there of all places... :)