Gunlord Creator NG:DEV.TEAM Keen to Work on 3DS

Posted by Damien McFerran

More glorious 2D action coming to Nintendo's handheld?

If you're suffering from E3 overload right now, allow us to divert your attention to a tasty bit of news relating to German indie studio NG:DEV.TEAM. We've already covered the developer's excellent run-and-gun platformer Gunlord - better described as 'Turrican and them some' - but at the time of writing, the game is confined to the Neo Geo and Sega Dreamcast. However, if fate smiles upon us, that could change.

Speaking exclusively to Eurogamer about Gunlord and game development in general, NG:DEV.TEAM founder Timm Hellwig gave this tantalising reply when asked which modern-day format he was most interested in:

Currently the 3DS is the most interesting mainstream platform for us...people on that platform seem to like 2D titles, and Nintendo is supportive about publishing such games.

He's not wrong, either - 2D games like Mighty Switch Force and Mutant Mudds have gained significant critical acclaim on the 3DS, and a conversion of Gunlord would surely meet with a similar level of approval. Having played the Neo Geo version of the game, we can reveal that it's a little bit special, so let's keep those fingers firmly crossed.

[via eurogamer.net]

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

These guys have made much more than Gunlord, you know. They're a pretty active team. They do specialize in the old school, though, so that makes me happy.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@mikeymac We're aware of that. Gunlord is their most recent game, hence the fact that it's front and centre for this news piece. We've mentioned their other titles - Fast Striker and Last Hope - on the site previously, as well as the recent Redux, which is being developed by Timm's brother.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I guess I didn't see the other mentions. Just seemed sorta like this was the only game you were talking about, sorry. Not just here, either. Gunlord looks pretty cool, but I personally liked The Last Hope, and sorta wish I'd see more mention of that at least somewhere.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

I didn't get the opportunity to play Neo Geo games back in the day so it's good to hear about games like Gunlord. If it's released here, it would be a wise decision.

luminalace

luminalace said:

Yes please! I will eat up Gunlord or any of NG:DEV.TEAM's games! I hope they are reading this!

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Iirc this is just a reskin of a Turrican game. But if i'm wrong: yes, bring it to the 3DS please.

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

I would love to play their their games on 3ds. this actually makes me more excited than anything I've seen at E3 so far other than maybe Rayman.