Nintendo "Very Eager" to Help Third Party 3DS Developers

Posted by James Newton

Mi casa es su casa

As we all expected, so far Nintendo's arguably made the best use of the 3DS's stereoscopic screen, but it's not all high and mighty about it — it wants to help third party developers get up to the same level.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata told investors the company would happily pass on knowledge of how to leverage the 3DS screen if asked:

As long as software publishers of the Nintendo 3DS make the relevant inquiries to us, we are willing to disclose what we have done, and we are actually sharing the information with them. Rather than keeping this sort of know-how confidential and trying to leverage upon it to give our software a competitive edge, we believe that it is more beneficial for the company if all players will comment, “All the Nintendo 3DS software looks natural to our eyes and very attractive as we feel that the images are really 3D.” So, when we are asked, we are eager to support our third-party publishers.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to say "all the Nintendo 3DS software looks natural to our eyes and very attractive as we feel that the images are really 3D"? That's the goal, developers. Amaze us.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

Cool, sounds like Ninty is learning to play nice with the other kids at the park even if they do own it.

Millenia

Millenia said:

This is fantastic. A good example of bad 3D would be the port of Tales of the Abyss. but I don't know if it's because it's from a ps2 game, or because Namco Bandai didn't know what they were doing.

mamp

mamp said:

@Ulala
Of course Nintendo is eager to help. In the end if third party is on board it benefits not only them but us as well.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Actually, to what I've seen, most 3rd Party developers have the 3D down better than Nintendo. Such games as Resident Evil Revelations actually impress me much better than certain other first party stuff, such as the sucktacular 3D in Mario Kart 7.

MaikoRULES

MaikoRULES said:

“All the Nintendo 3DS software looks natural to [my] eyes and very attractive as [I] feel that the images are really 3D.”
totally a sentence i would say. yup.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

I prefer using this photo.

Untitled

He's a happy chappy.
A severly deranged and legally considered dangerous happy chappy.

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

The 3D has always looked "natural" to me. Am I the only one the didn't have headaches from using the 3DS? Is it just that I knew not to focus as hard as you can and you won't get a headache?

Mizore

Mizore said:

I really do hope they're talking about localization too...because well...you know....I WANT TRI G ALREADY!!! xD

kdognumba1

kdognumba1 said:

This is what I like to hear. Glad to see they're really making huge strides for 3rd party developers.

DraculaX

DraculaX said:

Well I hardly use 3D on my 3DS. I only use it on cutscenes, win poses for fighting games, and 2D games (3D looks amazing on Mutant Mudds).

But is this really an issue? So far, from what I have seen, 3rd party developers use it very well. Some even used it a bit too well (RE: Revelations).

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

well i hope we get the 3rd party developers all straighten away so we get some nice 3rd party games on the 3ds

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

Most developers are really lazy when it comes to making the most from Nintendo machines. Instead focusing on churning out the same game on every platform with hereditory features like touch screen, buttons(sometimes) and speakers. and thats about it.

Its not just 3D they need help with but at least ninty are getting this out in the wild, public knowledge of this can only encourage them, I hope.

Most developers would sell more and make more money if they asked Nintys help more often, as the developers I know that have asked, have benifited greatly.

Spoony

Spoony said:

Sooooo, am I the only one that wants to punch that kid in the picture right in his neck? Just once, and not that hard. Something about his head and that neck, just brings it out of me...

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

"would happily pass on knowledge of how to leverage the 3DS screen if asked"???

Err would this not void the warranty?? :P
Seriously sick of the word leverage at the moment, I work in England but we have just been bought out by a massive American company. I was in a meeting the other day and that word was used 47 times!!! (yes I was bored)
Anyway its great that Nintendo are sharing their secrets, now if only they could show developers how to make amazing games as well as pretty 3D.