Uh Oh, Castlevania: The Adventure Rated for 3DS VC

Posted by James Newton

Ratings board whips it out

3DS Virtual Console fans have a spooky treat to look forward to, as the Australian Classification Board has rated Castlevania: The Adventure.

Well, we say 'treat', but The Adventure is generally regarded as one of the weaker entries in the series, particularly compared to follow-up Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge.

Still, more 3DS VC games are always welcome, and it's good to see Konami supporting the download service on 3DS. The game's already out in Japan, so a Western release shouldn't be far off.

[via classification.gov.au]

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I loved this game when it was first released. A portable Castlevania game was a dream come true for me. I played the hell out of this game. That being said, the sequel Belmont's Revenge was a much more well-rounded title. :D

RR529

RR529 said:

Never played a Castlevania before, but I might download this when it arrives in the US. I know it's regarded as a weaker entry in the series, but due to the inexpensive VC pricing, I'm willing to take the risk.

paburrows

paburrows said:

I say that if Konami has been not wanting to do the Wii VC then this is the opportunity to send them a message that we want their games on the VC. So reguardless of if you want the game or not everyone should get it first day of release.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Well, that is good news that Castlevania is finally gracing the 3DS eShop. I probably won't pick this one up since I already own Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth on WiiWare. I am looking forward to seeing Belmont's Revenge and Kid Dracula. Hopefully we will get those titles as well.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Aside from Tetris this was my first GB game. I can't wait to download it again. Plus the restore points should help me finally beat level 4

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

My first non-Tetris GB title too. I remember beating it, then having some jerkoff in High School stealing it from me a few months later. May have to pick this one up again when its released in the States.

Kisame83

Kisame83 said:

This is a tricky proposition for me. I do not enjoy this game very much. Not that it is terrible but...OK in what universe am I going to put down DoS, PoR, OoE, or Drac X Chronicles (just keeping it portable) to play THIS. On the other hand, they are testing the waters...so I'll probably buy it. Why? The next two GB games I DO enjoy somewhat, and I would also love it if they get around to putting GBA titles in the store. Circle of the Moon was my first GBA game and would be a day 1 download for me.

Late

Late said:

@Pocketim: I haven't played this game but what I've heard this game is bad for few reasons. It's very slow paced, has a timer, is short and the jumping is hard. Most of the time you have to be very precise with jumping and sometimes you have to take steps very carefully so you have one foot in the air before making the jump to get to the other side. Jumps are so small and ledges are so big.

metafaniel

metafaniel said:

I've already played and beat this game and I didn't enjoy it a lot, it's just OK, so I'll pass... Anyway DOES SOMEBODY KNOW WHY KONAMI ISN'T DEVELOPING A NEW 3DS CASTLEVANIA GAME?????? All the games for the DS were great and they developed a lot of games for that platform, I thought they'll develop more Castlevanias for the 3DS in the first year one game at least! BUT NO!!! Anyone knows WHY??? @James Any ideas why? THANKS!

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Despite owning the cart (and it being really 'meh'), I'm gonna download!!! 3DS needs more old school Gameboy!

metafaniel

metafaniel said:

@James I hope you're right hoho! It's just I can't wait hehe u.u It'll be great to see new ideas in this probable new game if it exists =) More back to the roots + originality and less SotN similarities ;)

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

@metafaniel I agree that I want my castlevania closer to I-IV or Dracula X and further away from SofN. Loved being able to play the PC Engine-only Drac X after all these years on Virtual Console. Then downloaded SotN on XBLA and... just couldn't get into it. Ditto with Portrait of Ruin. Just give me the straight-ahead jump-and-whip action of the earlier games with amazing 3D parallax and new weapons/monsters/levels. 3D Classics Castlevania 3??

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@Joshers744

Yup, exactly my thoughts when I saw this. It's a shame too, I'd definitely download it. I didn't play the game when it originally came out but I did enjoy Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth on WiiWare so this is definitely on my list of most wanted 3DS VC games. Too bad Reggie and the other clowns at NoA don't care about their fanbase over here though so even if we do get this it won't be for another 3 years.

CapedGodot

CapedGodot said:

You say that this game is bad compared to Castlevania 2? Jeez, it must be freaking horrible, then.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

I probably won't get this if/when the VC rises from the grave, and I'd probably just get the WiiWare remake if I change my mind, but it gives me some hope of seeing Belmont's Revenge, which I've always heard great things about.

Oh, and yes, we need a new Super Metroid-style Castlevania for a Nintendo portable soon. I can't believe it's been almost four years since Order of Ecclesia came out!

DraculaX

DraculaX said:

Never played this game, but more Castlevania is always a good thing. This will at least be more of a Castlevania game than Lords of Shadow (good game, but not a true Castlevania game).

Bankai

Bankai said:

This was one of my very first Game Boy games. The nostalgia with this game for me is massive.

Malic

Malic said:

Can't wait for a new castlevania and metroid for the 3ds. How long do i have to wait for this to happen?