Namco Bandai Shouts "Thundercats, Ho!"

Posted by James Newton

Purring onto DS

Cartoon reboot Thundercats is getting a DS game courtesy of Namco Bandai.

The side-scrolling action platformer comes courtesy of Naruto Ninja Council developer Aspect Digital and is due out in August. As you defeat enemies as Lion-O you gather energy for the Sword of Omens: once you've hoarded enough, you can shoot a damaging beam from the front of the sword. You know, like in the cartoons.

You'll only play as the bushy-haired hero Lion-O, but you'll be able to unlock assist characters Tygra, Cheetara, Panthro and Wily Kat & Wily Kit. No Snarf? Too bad.

Use your sight beyond sight in the comments to tell us how you think this one will pan out.

[via siliconera.com]

Zergling

Zergling said:

OHHHHHHH SNAPPPP! Voltron was released last year on PSN...Thundercats this year...now if we could just get a videogame based on M.A.S.K. I am set!

hydeks

hydeks said:

cool, thundercats game ^-^ Been loving the new show, maybe the game will be good?

Shadowflash

Shadowflash said:

@hydeks I love the new show too. It's so cool :D. I love when cartoons are redone into anime.

BTW, that cosplay looks ugly to me. XD

pariah164

pariah164 said:

I will remain optimistic about this game until I am given a reason otherwise.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

nice to see another DS game on the system. i saw some of the screenshots- they're not bad looking.

RR529

RR529 said:

Used to watch the old show all the time. Haven't saw the new one yet, but I like the fact that they decided to make it an anime. I would really like to watch it (and support it), because of CN's recent departure from anime (I'd like to show there's still interest in the medium, as CN's went downhill since Toonami was cancelled, IMO).

That being said, I probably won't get the game because I'm skeptical of anything licensed.

Dreadjaws

Dreadjaws said:

Never seen the new show, but I haven't seen too many good adaptations of TV shows for handheld consoles. Then again, this is Namco Bandai. We'll see.

Edit: OK, I've seen and read a little more about it here:

... and this game looks generic as heck. Apparently it's been simplified because it's made with children in mind. So yeah, don't expect another Shantae. Instead, expect something like Power Rangers: Dino Thunder for the GBA.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I have to laugh how the Thundercats always remind me of kiss; the cosplay no different.

Kitsune_Rei

Kitsune_Rei said:

Huh. I'm afraid its going to be a bad game, but I'm curious. I do like the new Thundercats.