UK Pokémon Video Game Champions Crowned

Posted by James Newton

The very best

Putting aside the nonsense from the weekend, here are the three young trainers who emerged victorious from the UK Pokémon Video Game Championships.

Rubén Puig Lecegui successfully defended his title in the Masters Division, which includes anyone born in or before 1996. Last year Puig lost in the semi-final to reigning world champion Ray Rizzo, but he'll be back for another shot in Hawaii this August.

George Langford is the Senior champ — the division includes those born between 1997 and 2000, inclusive — and tournament newcomer Ahren Bundy emerged victorious in the Junior Division for those born in or after 2001.

All three will head off to the finals in Hawaii to see if they can bring the championship back to the UK. In the coming weeks the tournament travels to Germany, France, Spain and Italy before culminating in Hawaii from 10th - 12th August.

AbuJaffer

AbuJaffer said:

Quite a trio we have here! A look at the winning teams would be much appreciated... laughs maniacally

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

I thought we were putting aside the nonsense from the weekend here? Haha. No, fair play guys, bring us back the championship!!

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

I don't get how that competition works. Is it whoever has the best Pokemon? Or does everyone have a certain set? Because it sounds like that would be an easy competition either way.

Melkor

Melkor said:

@James Newton: Two small details, fyi:
1.- The actual name of the Spanish champion is Rubén Puig Lecegui. Note the "Puig", not the "Puis".
2.- Names in Spanish don't work in the same way as in English. The surname of Rubén es "Puig Lecegui", not only "Lecegui". We keep both father's and mother's first surname to form our own two-word surname. As a result, you should have said something like "last year, Puig Lecegui lost in the semi-final", or better "last year, Puig lost in the semi-final". That's why I tend to keep my second surname out of professional e-mails when English-speaking people are involved, just to avoid this mistake.

MetroidMasher17

MetroidMasher17 said:

Ha, just reading this article reminds me how bad I am at Pokémon. I can only imagine how easily these guys would beat me...