Retro Computer Museum Now Has a Permanent Home

Posted by Damien McFerran

Rooted in Leicestershire

The Retro Computer Museum just recently celebrated its third birthday on Sunday, and along with the anniversary announcement came the news that the museum now has a permanent home in Leicestershire.

Now the museum has a fixed address, it should hopefully mean events and exhibitions will be more frequent. The exact location has yet to be announced but the building itself is self-contained and will have enough room to showcase many of the 200 consoles that are in the museum's collection.

It's taken the museum three years to reach this milestone, and eventually, it will open at weekends for visits so that the public can take in and enjoy the extensive hardware collection.

Head over to our Swannington open day coverage in case you missed it and keep checking back on the RCM website for more updates.

[via retrocomputermuseum.co.uk]

JamieOStaff

JamieO said:

This is great news, having a permanent base will give Retro Computer Museum more stability and hopefully help it to gain increased attention from gamers and museum visitors.

If events and exhibitions become more frequent, then that is excellent news for the UK's retro community.

nintendoduffin

nintendoduffin said:

@Tasuki
Leicestershire is pretty much at the centre of England and it's main exports are crisps and Gary Lineker. Consider yourself enlightened.

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

I see Street Fighter!!! Awesome, I wish I had one of these and a bunch of games for it.

Victoria

Victoria said:

To those of you who don't know it - Leicestershire is pronounced like:
"Lester-sheer" I keep meaning to get to the Retro museum .. it's only 20 minutes from where I live. Seems like the events they hold are always at a time when I'm really busy with other projects.

James

James said:

@Victoria I came here to explain the pronunciation of Leicestershire too, though the idea of our transatlantic friends calling it Lie-sester-shyre is awesome.

Victoria

Victoria said:

@James - I've been reminding my family and friends back 'home' in the U.S. how to pronounce place names around here (Leicester, Derby, Loughborough) .... I've given up. It's more fun laughing at them when they say it wrong. :)
@Antdickens - Yeah, I know you're in Shepshed .... we're practically neighbours! You guys should let me know when you're heading over to the Retro Museum and I'll try hard to meet you there.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@Antdickens: Wow I did not know that. I knew that NL was based in England but I didnt know where exactly. Are there any US branches?

Henmii

Henmii said:

Wasn't this museum also behind the 40 years of gaming tour, or whatever it was called? You know, a exhibition that travelled from country to country? I visited it in my country a few years ago when it was held, and I had a fun day out for sure!

Sadly, I can never visit this museum. England is to far away from me!