Mario Kart 3DS Drives, Glides and Dives this Year

Posted by James Newton

Land, sea and air

Mario Kart was confirmed for release this Christmas, resulting in much rejoicing, but it's the new additions to the series that will likely get gamers geared up (sorry) for the upcoming 3D racer.

Whereas previous games have stuck fairly closely to the standard kart or bike formula, the next instalment will see racers taking to the skies in gliders and diving under the surface of the sea with propellers too.

Players will also be able to customise their kart to their own specifications, changing its tyres, chassis and ability to give themselves a helping hand out on the circuit.

What do you make of this new addition to the tried-and-true formula?

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

It's looking fantastic! All the tracks look to be very good, and I like the hang-gliders too. Can't wait to see what retro tracks and arenas will be added!

J-Forest-Esq

J-Forest-Esq said:

Hm...I'm not sure about the hang-gliders but I'm more than prepared to give them a crack.

JamieOStaff

JamieO said:

To me kart racers epitomise Christmas gaming, I first played the original SNES Super Mario Kart, GCN Mario Kart: Double Dash and Mario Kart Wii on Christmas Day.

Mario Kart 3DS looked fantastic during the E3 conference, I especially liked when the karts raced underwater with little propellers and the hang glider moments. At a glance it looked like there will be classic DS tracks in there too. The variety of vehicles looks quite wild, but wackiness is part of the Mario Kart fun.

I'm interested to hear how Corbie thinks the 3DS game compares graphically to the Wii and GCN titles.

dinkelberg

dinkelberg said:

this is a must buy in my book the mario kart ds game was amazing and this one looks so awesome im goanna buy a 3ds for 4 main reasions the legend of zelda ocarina of time 3D
Mario kart 3DS
Super Smash bros3DS and the eshop ofcourse^^

Punny

Punny said:

I cannot wait for this game. I love the fact that there's a course inspired by Donkey Kong Country Returns. This Christmas will be a very special Christmas indeed. :)

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

I'm super-psyched about the kart customization! :D It seems far superior to the DS emblem maker!

Pj1

Pj1 said:

How is this Mario Kart? hang gliding, I'm confussed but that's how I felt when I saw Mario Kart Wii.......

Bobpie

Bobpie said:

Customization is a great way to change the formula to make it worth buying.

Yosher

Yosher said:

As long as the gliding doesn't over-shadow the actual karting. This is Mario KART, after all! Seeing gameplay videos does make it look good though so I'm glad.

Ravage

Ravage said:

If they did the Diddy Kong Racing thing, but made the boats/planes/karts more integrated (ie. transform into a submarine if you take a certain path perhaps) rather than choosing at the beginning of the course and kept the different path freedoms of the different vehicles then it would be totally awesome. They should also make the single player as involved as Diddy Kong Racing's.