These Game & Watch Documents are All Kinds of Amazing

Posted by James Newton

Black and white and oh so right

Currently enjoying a resurgence due to many rereleases on DSiWare, Nintendo's portable Game & Watch consoles are the subject of the latest Iwata Asks over at Nintendo Japan's site. Most of the development team, minus the late Gunpei Yokoi, dropped by on Mr Iwata to chat about these seminal titles and hardware and brought along some unseen documents detailing their development time.

The interview also sheds some light on how the games were playtested before production: the team constructed A4-sized Game & Watch units in a dark room using LEDs and acrylic, then tested them to see how well they played, with new circuit boards and constructions required for each test.

Although the interview has not been officially translated yet, this unofficial translation at NeoGAF is worth a click if just to see paper versions of those famous Game & Watch titles.

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

Thats kinda creepy. In a lonely corner, drawing little men and animals with the small flicker of led lights. :$

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

Very interesting indeed, I love the art style on Game & Watch, even if it's just hardware limitations, they look nice.

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

They should create new Game &Watch downloadable games for 200 pts each. I love the retro feel and the easy playability. I think Helmet is my favorite ;)

J_K

J_K said:

I thought they did a few already. They need to do more. Bring up SMB, Balloon Fight, and Zelda for instance as they were fantastic. All the Donkey Kong G&W games were good too, even that weird hockey one.

IanUniacke

IanUniacke said:

@RyuZebian: chirp chirp of crickets ;)

I'd love to see more game and watch on dsiware. The original Donkey Kong game and watch was great and I'd love to play some that I never got a chance to like the Zelda game.